Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Best Porsche Magazine for 914's?, Quasi-newbie just wondering.
Joel Simmons
post Aug 9 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #1

Dirty, nasty leg.

Group: Members
Member No.: 148

Aloha,

Just wondering which magazine everyone feels is the most informative for 914's. I usually buy Excellence every now and then, but was just wondering if there was a particular magazine that gives more attention to 914's (however much attention that is) than other publications.

I don't own a 914 let alone any Porsche, but would like to at some point in the future. It would be nice to know where the majority of folks go for their monthly Porsche fix.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Brad Roberts
post Aug 9 2004, 02:44 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

That would be here. The clubsite offers REAL TIME info with pics/articles. You dont have to wait 2-3 months after an event or tech article. I say: get an Excellence subscription so they are always coming in... Excellence has intentions to run some more 914 related material over the next 8-10 months.

B
+Quote Post
Joel Simmons
post Aug 9 2004, 03:05 AM
Post #3

Dirty, nasty leg.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been a lingering member of the club here for a while, just haven't been very consistent in my visits. It is a great resource itself. It has definitely grown into a very respectable website since its beginnings.

I bought an Excellence issue a few months ago that had a sweet red 914 in it that got me interested in teeners again. I'll take your advice and go ahead and order a subscription.

Some of the other magazines seem to focus solely on the newer models, not that there's anything wrong with them, but I assume that most mortals are unable to afford the latest and greatest offerings from Porsche.

Mahalos again.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 9 2004, 03:12 AM
Post #4

914 Freak!

Joel,

I was looking at your membership number... we where just firing up (3 weeks old when you signed up). The owner of the red car is a member here and visits from time to time. That 914 was the start of the 914 coverage for Excellence. They had covered cars in the past but it was sporadic. Pete Stout the feature editor of Excellence is a 914 guy (and spends time on this BBS) he is trying to balance his 914 coverage in the magazine a little better than in the past.

B
+Quote Post
Joel Simmons
post Aug 9 2004, 03:21 AM
Post #5

Dirty, nasty leg.

Hi Brad,

Yeah I think I caught word of 914world.com over on the Pelican Parts forums (I'm a former VW guy looking for something that actually handles well). I joined up ASAP but just never could get around to getting my hands on a 914. I'm sure you know how it goes when you're in college, getting married, moving, etc. etc.

Anyway, good to hear that there is a 914 guy up in the ranks at a nice publication. That red one they featured was a real beauty. Definitely along the lines of what I'm looking for. I'll be sure to catch any future issues with 914's in them.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 9 2004, 03:26 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Bottom line:

Support those that support us.

I can send a 914 over to you anytime you are ready... FOB SF.

B
+Quote Post
Joel Simmons
post Aug 9 2004, 03:33 AM
Post #7

Dirty, nasty leg.

Well, I might be nearby in the future (I'm guessing FOB SF means you're in San Francisco?). I'll be undergoing some language training in the DLI at the Presidio of Monterey this next summer...so maybe I can pick up a nice 914 around that time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Mahalos again for the quick response!
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 9 2004, 09:36 AM
Post #8

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Joel Welcome (back) if youll be training at DLI that must mean your active duty (?) and probably stopping by the housing office at LaMesa, Thats one of the projects I support The Parks If so Stop in, ask for Jennifer Barret and drop my name. They'll take good care of ya. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
9magazine
post Aug 9 2004, 09:44 AM
Post #9

9 Magazine The 914 DIY Publication

Member No.: 500

Don't for get about 9 Magazine, as the only DIY Porsche publication with two 914's as full time project cars! Each issue has a 914 section with Q&A's and step-by-step projects.

Just had to jump in! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.com
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 9 2004, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Aren't ALL 914s project cars?
+Quote Post
markb
post Aug 9 2004, 10:37 AM
Post #11

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(mikez @ Aug 9 2004, 08:04 AM)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 9 2004, 10:41 AM
Post #12

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Only when there not being sold....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Joel Simmons
post Aug 9 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #13

Dirty, nasty leg.

Aloha,

Thanks for the heads-up on 9magazine, I'll check it out.

rdauenhauer: yep...I'm going active duty this September. Active Army. Doing the linguistics thing with them. Seems like they have a nice program there. I'm praying for Chinese Mandarin or Korean.

So all 914's are eternal project cars, eh? That difficult to sort out?
+Quote Post
Joel Simmons
post Aug 9 2004, 09:14 PM
Post #14

Dirty, nasty leg.

Rich,

Tell me some more about that housing complex, The Parks. Send me a PM. I'm definitely interested. I'm married and going in as an E-4 so hopefully that will give me some more room to work with in terms of where I get to live.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 18 2004, 12:30 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Brad says I'm the feature editor, but that position was recently eliminated. Yipes. Hopefully, there's not a glitch in accounting that's keeping the paycheck coming! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) No matter what happens, however, I am keeping my Swingline stapler...

To clarify: I'm not sure I'm going to GREATLY increase 914 coverage, but I also think that -- in trying to avoid letting my own 914 bias steer the magazine -- I may have gone too far the other way, into 911/944/928/986/996/356/etc search mode. I'm always fine-tuning the balance, and it's just time to look at it again.

Anyway, check our Back Issues -- we've done a steady stream of 914 pieces throughout the magazine's 17-ish years -- from 6 conversions to Type IV and flat-six turbos and everything in between. Heck, I'm not even against a V8 conversion article, I've just been looking for the right one. The guy in England won't return our calls.... does anyone know him!??!??

I'll admit back issues can get kind of expensive, but then think of the storage/shipping costs and they're actually kind of a bargain! They also turn up at swap meets sometimes...

Cheers!!!!

pete
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 18 2004, 01:31 AM
Post #16

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Excellence is a great rag. It would be even greater IF I GOT MY LATEST COPY !!!! OK, I'm over it for a while. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Aug 18 2004, 09:46 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

Sorry about that JP!!!!!

Joel,

I forgot to mention Brad's right on. Everything you'll ever need for 914 technical advice, fun, etc is probably right here on the board. Magazines -- while having advantages in research, access, and "responsibility" -- can't compete with the internet boards for immediacy and breadth.

THIS BOARD IS A GREAT RESOURCE! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

So magazines just can't offer what a lot of people have worked to put together for us here. Hopefully, you'll find good 914 articles in E. and enjoy the rest of the stories on the WORLD of Porsche -- which are often enlightening in terms of understanding all Porsches better.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 18 2004, 09:54 AM
Post #18

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Excellence does a fine job at covering the 914. I'm always impressed. You have to look at the readership and see what's out there and which way the market is moving. Editors have one thing in mind; "is this of value to my readers?" The 914 crowd is strong and represents (can represent) younger demographics that a magazine needs. That being said, they also need to play to the new car market to get "new" Porsche owners to subscribe. A healthy sub base is the true measure of a magazines success (but that's the kind of stuff publishers worry about now isn't it?) When covering all things "Porsche" they do it best right now...

I picked up a copy of 9 Magazine in my MWC bag (Brian, those type of promotions work. Pete, tell Tom that those type of promotions work). I felt it had come a long way from what I'd seen in the past and it had a bunch of DIY tips and tricks that could be helpful to all of use... you can even learn from the other model tips. Keep up the good work Brian.
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Aug 18 2004, 09:56 AM
Post #19

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

JP... you've been yanked from the comp list. Free ride's over! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Aug 18 2004, 11:00 AM
Post #20

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Aug 18 2004, 07:56 AM)
JP... you've been yanked from the comp list.  Free ride's over!  :lol:

Curses, foiled again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

I save my back issues. There have been some some incredible 914 articles over the years. The one on The
Ex-Wayne Baker/Bob Smith IMSA GTU car is one that sticks out in my mind (Dec 200)......even if it was a 4 pooper (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 04:55 AM