Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 tranny rebuild in Sacramento/SF Bay Area?, Need a referral to a quality shop
6fahrer
post Aug 16 2004, 01:34 PM
Post #1

Der Grosse 914 Auf-Fahrter

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,311

Hi Gentlemen,
I have a 1970 914-6 that still has its original tail-shift transmission on it (it seems to be in good condition, for a tail shifter). I recently acquired a 914-4 side-shifter trans that I would like to have someone rebuild, with an eye to installing it in my 6. I live in the Sacramento Area (California). Does anyone have a good shop to refer me to in either Sacramento or San Francisco Bay Area for this purpose? The side-shifter trans is in good condition already, but I'd like a top-rate, professional rebuild done on it before having it installed in my 6. Any suggestions or possible referrals would be most appreciated.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
Brad Roberts
post Aug 16 2004, 02:00 PM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Try Ron Kain at IPB AutoSport in Sac. Ron races 914's with us in the PRC group.

If Ron wont do it... our 901 "builds" start at 4000$

I dont use worn out tranny cases when somebody asks for a "pro" job. We buy new tranny cases and install all new bearings/intermediate plate/new sliders/new synchro's/new dog teeth...

I'm finding that every 901 we pull apart has a loose pinion bearing race... and we have no fix for it.

B
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post Aug 16 2004, 03:05 PM
Post #3

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

How loose is loose? Are there no oversized bearings available from anyone? The case being Mg, welding and remachining probably aren't an option, but perhaps remachining to a larger diameter and fitting a custom-made insert might solve the problem. Al has about the same coefficient of expansion as Mg, so an Al insert would do the trick.

Unless new cases are still being cast, I'd imagine at some point something like this will have to be worked out.

Just thinking out loud...
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 16 2004, 03:05 PM
Post #4

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Bradholio....stay waiting on a guestimate for a sporto R/P 901 for Wyld Thang.....
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 16 2004, 03:23 PM
Post #5

914 Freak!

WEVO and I have spent some time looking at a solution for the 901. By the time the machine work is done and the bearings sourced... you can buy a new case for 100$ more.

Mike,

I flat out forgot. I'll try to have something for you this week. Rich is gone until Wed. and we are busy.

B
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 16 2004, 03:25 PM
Post #6

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Yep....everybody is busy....wish I had five hands to keep all the balls in the air.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Aug 16 2004, 06:57 PM
Post #7

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Member No.: 288

You are better off converting the tail 6 to sideshift. The intermediate plate on the 6 has the accel linkage in it and the depth is already set. During the rebuild, substitute the internal shift forks and rods, the side shift - shift console and the side shift tail cover.

For the shift rod, clamp a side shift rod to a long 2x4 and then cut out the bent region and subsitute straight rod.

Finally, you also need to aquire a side shift gear selector, since the tail shift and side shift units are different. Oh Yeah and you need the conversion bushing in the fire wall.

Do use the new bushings and check the wear on the shift rod. If there is a lot of slop in the bushing to shift rod spacing, weld, braze or solder additional metal onto the rod and smooth out for an even better shifting unit.

If you don't use a Rennshift, do not forget the springs and bushings in the gear selector. If you do all of this, you will have a much much better shifting car. If have done all of this on my 6.

James (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif)
+Quote Post
theol00
post Aug 16 2004, 07:03 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,586

Brad - are the materials in your $4000 transmission made out of platinum?
+Quote Post
sgomes
post Aug 16 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #9

Electric Member

Member No.: 2,029

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Aug 16 2004, 12:00 PM)
If Ron wont do it... our 901 "builds" start at 4000$

Um, Brad... Can you email me offline? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Aug 16 2004, 07:40 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Relax Shannon. It is almost impossible to quote a gearbox without having it apart to see what is good and what isnt. Your box had some new parts in it. It is MUCH easier to quote high and come in lower than to try and "get" more money out of someone after the quote.

theol,

add it up.

Some of the bearings are over 300$. The new case is something like 625$. First gear slider is in the 400$ range. I can see 4k pretty quick.

B
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 10:09 AM