Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Looking for reliable shop in Los Angeles
Carson914
post Aug 18 2004, 12:29 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,560

Dear all,
first off, i want to say what a great site this is. Tons of useful information and i truely appreciate it.

Now, a little history on my 914. I have a 72 914 w/2.0 (from a later car). The car had gone thru several owners and it is now street Illegal (so its race prepped) I had stored it for the past 4 yrs and ready to take it out to do some track time. The car runs and all but I need a reliable (competent) shop to "sort out the bug" for me. Not sure if mentioning shop name is allowed on this forum. So if its against the rule, please email me directly at ninefourteen@yahoo.com

Thanks for all your help

Carson
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 16)
Brad Roberts
post Aug 18 2004, 01:14 AM
Post #2

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

Carson,

you will find us VERY open here. We also try to stay "vendor neutral" meaning that we are not sponsored by ANY parts pushers or shops.

I forget the exact location of Pasadena... but Galen Bieker of WERKSII is in Burbank (I think). The only other person I know down there is Jon Williamson at "Otto's in Venice beach. Others from your area will chime in later.

B
+Quote Post
Eric_Ciampa
post Aug 18 2004, 02:34 AM
Post #3

CHAMP914

Member No.: 511
Region Association: Northern California

I am in the pasadena area too and would be looking for a local wrench. I loved my local hometown vw guy and would be looking for something simular for both parts and service.
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 18 2004, 08:22 AM
Post #4

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

I'd reccomend the short drive to North Hollywood and have Dave B. at TRE do your work. He does fantastic work! You can see Dave's 914 at TREMotorsports.com.
+Quote Post
lawrencedesigns
post Aug 18 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 2,349

Thank you Sean!
I am a new owner of a restoration project, and I know I will need some experienced mechanical help.
I am in West Hills, (west end of SF Valley) and North Hollywood is an easy commute. (Next to Studio City, where I work!)
You saved me some homework!
+Quote Post
porsche914gt
post Aug 18 2004, 09:50 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 1,581

Stay away from Galen Bieker of WERKSII in Burbank. He is crazy, and hates 914's.
This guy is very good with 914's. Good prices too.
Bela's Foreign Car Repair 818-842-9464
2525 North San Fernando Boulevard
Burbank, CA
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 18 2004, 10:15 AM
Post #7

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

you should back up that claim with some facts. I know of others who've used him and have been happy.

details, details....let's have 'em
+Quote Post
MattR
post Aug 18 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

The pasadena area is not VW or Porsche friendly. East Walnut has like a dozen different VW places (machine shops, repair shops, etc) right next to Trans Ocean VW, but I dont know if they're 914 friendly. When I tried, nobody had any parts.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Aug 18 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #9

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

QUOTE(porsche914gt @ Aug 18 2004, 07:50 AM)
Stay away from Galen Bieker of WERKSII in Burbank. He is crazy, and hates 914's.
This guy is very good with 914's. Good prices too.
Bela's Foreign Car Repair     818-842-9464
2525 North San Fernando Boulevard
Burbank, CA

Yup...a neighbor of mine wants to rip Galen's head off...seems there are more than a few stories about him.

Otto....well he's Otto.... sometimes a competent wrench but a bit of a pitbull with tight panties....not many can touch him on the track at Willow Springs....

TRE is good....he owns a 914 conversion and also does fine tail dragger work.
+Quote Post
redshift
post Aug 18 2004, 04:26 PM
Post #10

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

Good reliable, or bad reliable?

There is Otto, but I am not sure if you are trying to fuck yourself, or not.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Hi John!

M
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Aug 18 2004, 05:25 PM
Post #11

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

i was pretty unhappy with my experience at Tommy's Werkstadt in La CaƱada. that was a long time ago but i couldnt recommend going back.
+Quote Post
MattR
post Aug 18 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,589

lol, nice avatar miles
+Quote Post
drew365
post Aug 18 2004, 09:49 PM
Post #13

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

I might term Galen eccentric, but not crazy. Sort of a mad scientist type. I don't think he hates 914's, he has quite a few of them in his shop. Most of his work is for big dollar GT3 owners so 914's may not rate real high on his priority list.
Dave at TRE in N. Hollywood is a real good guy and runs an organized shop.
+Quote Post
klink
post Aug 18 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #14

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,927

I would be remiss if I didn't mention Glenn Sager at 'Precision Motion' in Riverside. I have not taken the teener in to be worked on but Glenn has been very helpful with everything I have talked to him about. The rest of you can chime in here with your opinions. He's on Ardmore and Columbia right off the 215 Fwy. Phone (909) 784-0425.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Aug 18 2004, 10:45 PM
Post #15

I can't Re Member

Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have always wondered and kept forgetting to ask -- does Dave B (TRE) work on 914-4's? How about other 4-bangers (356/912 or waterpumpers)? I know he focuses on the sixers and I have seen some spectactular 911 and 914-6 cars come out of TRE.

I personally get along great with Otto, but to each his own. I don't think anybody could dispute that he LOVES 914's and KNOWS them like very few others in the US at this point. My car is going back there next week for a bit more development as I am way too short on garage-time these days and am getting impatient.

Glenn Sager is a great guy and another 914 fanatic, although admittedly I know virtually nothing about his new shop venture beyond what I've read in European Car mag. (Yes they got some good PR in there; 944/951 project IIRC).

Anyways, definitely let us know what you end up doing and when we should expect to see you at the track! Is your car a four or a six BTW???
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Aug 19 2004, 01:18 AM
Post #16

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

Dave B. and his team at TRE are great. I have used them when I just can't get something done. His mechanics work on every porsche made, including the ones we make ourselves. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) - It is a porsche shop and $...

If your going all the way to Venice for work, keep going past Ottos (doesn't work on the cars anyway) to Alex at Precision Tech Motorsports in Marina Del Rey. You'll thank yourself later, and you wont get berraded (sp?) or talked down too.

The guy at WerksII was nice to me but he did say that only worked on a few 914's, his and the other clients spending alot on the 356's and race cars and new cars...

And before you go to any shop you ask here, you'll probably find the answer to your problem and maybe even someone to fix it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

Good Luck
Mike D.
+Quote Post
911/914gary
post Aug 19 2004, 08:57 AM
Post #17

Member No.: 1,368

I concur with Bela's Foreign Car Repair recommendation for type IV powered 914's. Don’t be alarmed by the look of his shop. He specializes in VW repair and he has piles of them around. You can barely walk through his shop. He knows type IV engines and their different fuel systems. Vary competent and a nice guy also. However, be advised, he is not too keen on working on heavily modified cars. Ask first.

TRE is another great shop however they do not work on many type IV 914's. Due to the higher hourly rate. However if you have a flat six this would be the shop to go to.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 05:16 PM