Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Twisty tours, tell us about your favorite
Howard
post Aug 19 2004, 03:27 PM
Post #1

Incontin(g)ent Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 943
Region Association: None

Trying to put together a collection of twisty tours from around the country. Please post your favorite showing start and finish points, things to see along the way, good restaurants, places to stay, and photos if you have. Comments, etc.

Please provide the street addresses if you have them. Makes it easier in mapping software.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Andyrew
post Aug 19 2004, 03:41 PM
Post #2

Spooling.... Please wait

Group: Members
Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I liked whatever we did last year during the Roadglue event.... Up in san fran... That was a fun one...

Dont know anything about it... lol

Some of the bay area guys should be able to chime in.

As far as normal daily one's... I know my dad likes to take Patterson Pass... I enjoy it too... That one's in the valley...

Andrew

Not much information... sorry..
+Quote Post
qa1142
post Aug 19 2004, 03:45 PM
Post #3

Whiplash

Member No.: 2,140

Columbia River area
+Quote Post
seanery
post Aug 19 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #4

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Last Year's FFC Route

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Aug 19 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #5

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Not very long but sure was fun on a motorcycle when I was in college -

Chuckanut Dr (Washington hwy 11)

South from Bellingham, WA to Bow/Edison

Great views of Puget Sound, a couple of good places to eat The Oyster Bar being my favorite. You can also by oysters from an Oyster farm that is on the drive.

A great side trip if you are traveling I-5 between Seattle and Vancouver, BC.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Aug 19 2004, 04:21 PM
Post #6

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

A short tour, but great things at the start and finish for the drivers and their passengers.

Start in New Preston, CT. New Preston is a quaint, picturesque town. It has antique shops, gallerys, and a couple of good places for breakfast.

From there, head north through Waramaung State Park. Lots of nice twisties next that follow along side a very scenic river. Some great curves, I've left many a taildragger in the dust on this road.

After about 25 miles, guess what, you're at Lime Rock. Spend the day, enjoy your self.

On the way back, you can either go back the same way or head in to New York for more girlie stuff or a great dinner.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Howard
post Aug 19 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #7

Incontin(g)ent Member

Great! Keep 'em coming. More info and specfic place names help. I want to do all of them next year when I become a complete bum.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 19 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #8

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

BAJA
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Aug 19 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #9

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

The 100 Mile Hudson River Bridge Tour
State: New York Length: 100 miles

This is a great scenic drive by any and all standards ... you will love it in the fall especially!!!

Scenery: 5 stars

This drive covers the gorgeous Hudson River Valley crossing many impressive bridges along the way and hugging the river for the most part. The drive starts out in New York City and immediately gets you out of the urban jungle by heading west on Interstate 95 across the George Washington Bridge. The bridge itself is something to see. It spans 3,500 ft across the Hudson River. Then you travel along the wall of cliffs known as the Palisades that follow the Hudson River. The road is called the Palisades Parkway and is a favorite bike road in New York. If you take exit 1 to the Englewood Boat Basin or Exit 2 to the Alpine Boat Basin you can enjoy some picnic areas. Just past Exit 2 MAKE SURE YOU take the off ramp to the State Line Lookout. You’ll get a GREAT view of the river from up there. Continuing up the Parkway towards Bear Mountain the drive gets prettier and prettier. Don’t miss this drive in the fall!!! The rest of the Drive Specializes in riverside drives (many of the drives are positioned along the side of bluffs overlooking the river) and historic and interesting towns.

Road Quality: 5 stars

I give the drive a solid 5 because of its river hugging path that meanders along. At some points the roads seem to suspend you over the Hudson as you drive along sections that are carved out of tall rock bluffs. There are plenty of turns on this drive to keep your cycle leaning to one side or the other.

Roadside Amenities: 3 stars

The first real is to go to Harriman State Park. Make sure you take the road to the mountain’s summit for another great view. To get there take exit 19 to the Seven Lakes Drive and then take the Perkins Memorial drive to the mountain top and start taking photos when you get up there. Harriman State Park is very large and offers all the stuff you’d expect from a top quality state park.

Get back on the Palisade Pkwy heading east (turns into Rte. 6) and cross the Hudson over the beautiful Bear Mountain Bridge then turn north on the Bear Mountain-Beacon Hwy (Rte. 9D). Two and a half miles later you’ll be going through a place called Manitoga (914-424-3812). This is 80-acres of destroyed land that was purchased by a rich man back in the 1940s and he spent the next 30 years restoring it. Today it’s a beautiful garden of nature trails and forests that you can explore. It’s a great example of what man can do to restore destroyed land. The Manitoga nature center is open for visitors and is a very interesting stop you all should consider.

As you approach the town of Cold Spring you will pass some historic riverside mansions. The town of Cold Spring is a pretty little riverside town where you can get off the bike and grab a bite to eat and checkout the town. There is a public gazebo where you can take in the river scenery.

Rte. 9D really hugs the river at times heading north out of Cold Spring. Take it all the way till you get to I-84 and take it back west over the Hudson. Take the very next exit, exit-10 south on Rte. 9W for about 5 miles. Look for Rte. 218 heading southeast to both Storm King State Park and the famous West Point Military Academy. This is where the driving gets fun for a little while!!! 218 becomes the “Storm King Highway” and goes through Storm King State Park. This is one of the best parts of the entire drive as the road is carved into a cliff at points hanging over the Hudson River. A lot of twists and turns here. When you get through the park you’ll be tempted to turn-around and go through that part of the drive again – go for it! If you want to see West Point Military Academy watch for signs or better yet ask a local. West Point has plenty to offer visitors - great tours, an interesting museum and a gift shop. The trick after you leave the military academy is to get to Main Street and head south (this is the slower yet prettier alternative to getting back on 9W south). The road will “turn into” 218 again and you will have some pretty riverside driving. Then it will merge with 9W and you need to get on 9W and take it south.

Take 9W till you get to back to the Palisade Pkwy where you want to head east once again over the Bear Mountain Bridge. Now instead of going northeast like you did before, you want to veer to the right and take “Bear Mountain Bridge Road” (NOT Bear Mountain-Beacon Hwy).

Take Bear Mountain Bridge Road south just about 3-miles and you’ll see signs for Peekskill NY and Rte. 202. You cross a bridge (Lower South St) and hit 202 which eventually turns into Rte. 9 or the Briarcliff Peekskill Pkwy. Take this south till the end of the drive. Along this section of the drive you’ll want to pay attention to some of the impressive homes and mansions you’ll see. The town of Tarrytown has some historic estates owned by famous people. The famous homeowners that I remember was the guy that wrote “Rip Van Winkle” and the “Legend of Sleepy Hollow.”
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Aug 19 2004, 05:14 PM
Post #10

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

Twisties?!? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif) I live in Saskatchewan! There ain't no twisties here. I wouldn't know what to do if I ever came across a curve. I guess I'd just go shooting straight off. You guys and your twisty roads all suck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Although driving around here is kinda like an all day auto-x, because you're constantly dodging pot holes. Does that count?
+Quote Post
silver2.0
post Aug 19 2004, 05:23 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,715

My all time favorite, is a 2 lane twister that goes from Spokane, WA to Rockford, WA. I will have to look up the exact road names, but basically, you travel out the south hill of spokane, and turn right on Valley Chapel road. It is about 3-4 miles past 57th street going south. Just follow the road, and stay on it, and it will eventually spit you out by Rockford, WA on Hwy 27. It is ultra windy, paved well, you never see any traffic, and is a total riot to charge down in a sportbike or Porsche. I used to ride it everyday in the summer on the way home from work/college for years. Alot of memories on that road. It is stunningly beautiful, with alot of trees, creeks/bridges, and whatnot. Just be careful in the spring- one time my dad and I were racing home, and we were taking a posted corner of 35 at about 80, and there happend to be some sand left over from winter on the apex. Dad's bike slid sideways, and hi-sided, body slaming him into the pavement. He busted his collar bone, and smashed up his new custom paint job. Luckily I was a couple bike length's behind him, and was able to make it, but just wanted to give fair warning to those that ride/drive "spirited" from time to time in the spring here. Let me know if you want a guided tour!

Tony
+Quote Post
Howard
post Aug 19 2004, 05:49 PM
Post #12

Incontin(g)ent Member

QUOTE(mike_the_man @ Aug 19 2004, 03:14 PM)
Twisties?!?   (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)   I  live in Saskatchewan!  There ain't no twisties here.  I wouldn't know what to do if I ever came across a curve.  I guess I'd just go shooting straight off.  You guys and your twisty roads all suck!  :D   Although driving around here is kinda like an all day auto-x, because you're constantly dodging pot holes.  Does that count?

Yeah, but you have cheap insurance rates (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

Kinda like Florida hillclimbs.
+Quote Post
Howard
post Aug 19 2004, 05:55 PM
Post #13

Incontin(g)ent Member

QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 19 2004, 02:48 PM)
BAJA

Could you be a little less specific? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
JoeSharpOld
post Aug 19 2004, 06:11 PM
Post #14

Does it seem cold to you

Member No.: 2,001

Latigo canyon road.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Aug 19 2004, 06:46 PM
Post #15

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(Howard @ Aug 19 2004, 04:55 PM)
QUOTE(SLITS @ Aug 19 2004, 02:48 PM)
BAJA

Could you be a little less specific? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)

Somewhere south of here (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post Aug 19 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #16

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Saw the post and feel like a dike because I had to take the "BOSS" out to dinner, but does it have to be here in the U.S? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post Aug 19 2004, 06:52 PM
Post #17

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Please replace "dike" with "DICK"!!! Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
URY914
post Aug 19 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #18

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

LeMans
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Aug 19 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #19

aircraft surgeon

Member No.: 1,797

Any backroad in Missouri (and there's a bunch), not a straight one around. We took a little trip down to Iron County a few months ago and met up with "flatout" and her friends. They showed us a loop (about 20 miles or so) that is absolutely wicked!! Definitely keep it on the road, or get up-close-and-personal with Mr. Oaktree. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
BGman
post Aug 19 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #20

Greg

Member No.: 1,575

Maybe he will speak up.... but one of the nastiest passes I ever took was on the way in to see Jake Raby's place. He called it "dead man pass"..."devil's horn" or something sinister sounding like that.

I had just moved to KY from Colorado - so I was pretty incredulous about his warning.
It was amazing. I don't guess I have ever been on such a tight steep pass as that.
Actually, what was the scariest is the (literally) hundered of crotch-rocket bikers trying to kill themselves going up and down that hill. They should of just stationed an ambulance permanently at the bottom for a daily commute!

The million dollar highway going into Silverton and the pass going into Ouray has got to be some of the prettiest driving I saw in Colorado.
-g
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 08:44 PM