Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: marriage proposal.., what stuff do i need?
opera guy
post Sep 8 2004, 11:35 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,268

hi, im not lookin for "how to" propose, rather, what is it i need... like a ring?

is that the socalled engagement ring? then i have to buy another ring for the wedding? there goes my 911 suspension upgrade
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Rhodes71/914
post Sep 8 2004, 11:41 AM
Post #2

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

I guess it all depends on your bride. Does she like jewlery?(ok dumb question all women like jewlery) I guess what I meant was how much does she like jewlery. I got away with one ring, same ring for engagement and wedding. Had sentimental value, bought in Costa Rica where I proposed on the beach. Wasn't even that expensive.

But my wife would rather be driving around in her teener (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) than wearing a spendy ring.

Guess I just got lucky! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Good luck to you on the proposal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
Allan
post Sep 8 2004, 11:44 AM
Post #3

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Yep, 2 rings. The engagement is the most expensive. It's usually the fancy one with a diamond or ten in it. The actual wedding band is just solid gold (1-2 c-notes).

What is she says no? Get a receipt! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Sep 8 2004, 11:45 AM
Post #4

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

3 months salary (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) yikes! that's more than just a 911 suspension!

traditional is to have both an engagement (i.e. diamond $$$) ring and a wedding band (less $). worry about the engagement ring.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 8 2004, 11:47 AM
Post #5

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

My wife is the same way, she doesn't get into spendy jewerly. She likes riding around in the 914, and helping out on it.... a little. I was very lucky to find her for sure! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yes, typically you will have a promise ring before the engagement, an engagement ring and the wedding band that goes with the engagement ring. If you planning on purposing, me thinks you skipped the promise ring part. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) And are moving along to the engagement ring part? If so, you should only have to buy the engagement ring and the wedding band to match it. She wears the ring now and puts the band on at the wedding.

Good luck! Let us know if she says yes! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Sep 8 2004, 12:35 PM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87
Region Association: None

I bought a $10 engagment ring....we used the money for the "real" deal instead...........it all depends on her, mine was okay with the "cheap" engagment ring....
+Quote Post
opera guy
post Sep 8 2004, 12:41 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 2,268

would any of you think its a bad idea if i buy myself a welder and weld my own wedding band? lol this is pretty much the only excuse i can think of so she will let me buy and actually use a welder.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Alison Baker
post Sep 8 2004, 12:42 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 2,178

QUOTE(Mueller @ Sep 8 2004, 10:35 AM)
I bought a $10 engagment ring....we used the money for the "real" deal instead...........it all depends on her, mine was okay with the "cheap" engagment ring....

Not all women go for big engagement rings...if she loves you she will accept anything ..Money doesn't show when it comes to LOVE !
+Quote Post
maf914
post Sep 8 2004, 12:53 PM
Post #9

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Rings may be optional, but the prenuptial agreement is required! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
balljoint
post Sep 8 2004, 12:55 PM
Post #10

914 Wizard

Member No.: 1,897

Good Luck.

For my wife, (3 years together today) there was an engagement ring, and then wedding rings after. I did make sure that she got me an engagment present too though.

My rule was 2 months salary (she wouldn't go for 2 weeks) and the ring had one diamond, not big (0.58 carots), but it was of the highest quality (cut/colour/clarity)I could afford. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
Jenny
post Sep 8 2004, 01:04 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 96

Do what Chung did, and go with a titanium ring. Looks cool, feels light weight. Plus they're not TOO spendy. They have them on ebay. Just don't tell her you got her rings off the bay. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Good luck!!

Jen

edit: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Scott S
post Sep 8 2004, 01:07 PM
Post #12

Small Member

Member No.: 633

Amazing......

I am having a jeweler in Dallas create a ring for Amy as we speak - it will hopefully be here next week.

We leave for Newport on the 22nd to visit my family (she has never been to the west coast). If the weather is good I am thinking about the Huntington beach peir as the place.

Try and find a link to a wholesaler. Aims ring has a fully documnted/accredited stone and I am saving over 65% off of retail - thank goodness!

Good luck with your proposal! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Does anyone know if girls still go for the one knee approach?
+Quote Post
Alison Baker
post Sep 8 2004, 01:17 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 2,178

QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Sep 8 2004, 11:07 AM)

Does anyone know if girls still go for the one knee approach?

Yes we still go for the one knee thing...and a bouquet of flowers ! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

Good luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
mikester
post Sep 8 2004, 01:18 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 837

The 2 month's salary idea is just a clever marketing ploy.

Spent what you can afford and not a dime more.

Get something nice - talk to an independant retailer or try www.bluenile.com

That site had decent deals and a decent return policy.

I spent my entire car restoration fund on my wife's ring. It didn't even hurt - she was worth it and in the end she bought me a 911.

So...beat that.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 8 2004, 01:21 PM
Post #15

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Jenny @ Sep 8 2004, 11:04 AM)
Do what Chung did, and go with a titanium ring.

if you put a big enough, nice enough diamond in that tension setting, it can get spendy...

but those first two settings are v-e-r-y similar to what Joy and i have -- titanium with platinum inlay. -not- from Ebay, but from Titanium Era i'd recommend them. Statman Designs is another source - Statman hangs out on the 911 RennList a lot.

we went with just the one ring originally, the tension-set diamond solitaire for her, a Pt inlay Ti band for me. our 3rd anniversary is coming up and i've alreeady ordered the anniversary ring from Titanium Era - it's a little more like a conventional wedding band, but with inset Moisanite.

neither of you NEEDS a ring - there's no legal requirement. it's simply tradition and convention.

but you should make sure your expectations are compatible -- 'cause if you can't agree on something this basic at the beginning of the relationship, it does not bode well for bigger issues down the line ...
+Quote Post
jasons
post Sep 8 2004, 01:34 PM
Post #16

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Since I just went through this..... I bought my stone from a web-broker, a place called and don't laugh... dirtcheapdiamonds.com. The diamond was GIA certified. Upon reciept I had it checked out by a local GIA gemologist who verified the certification. They offer a 10 day no quetions asked return policy. They are a broker and the diamond came to me direct from a large wholesaler in NY. I saved sales tax plus some extra $ over purchasing locally. Also, no-one local had the GIA cert. they were certified by other labs that allegedly aren't as good. After I got the stone, I had it set locally. I did pay a few $100 extra for the setting since I brought the diamond in, but I still saved alot. Also, check out www.pricescope.com. Alot of good info and a diamond search engine that searches a bunch of brokers.

Regarding 2 bands or one, that is just personal preference. When you choose settings, some will come with 2 bands some won't. Some settings are designed so they cannot work with 2 bands.

Finally, the best thing I did was go into a jewelery store and window-shop with my girlfriend. What I would have bought for her, and what she wanted were completely different. I still surprised her with the ring. But it was really important to find out what she liked.

Now she is wearing my next Porsche on her finger. I wanted to get an SC for a daily driver....
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 8 2004, 01:38 PM
Post #17

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Rings can get way out of hand. We took more the farmers approach to it. My band is simple white gold, I think it was $75 or so? My wifes band has a very,very nice diamond, but smaller, I think a little over 1/2 carrot? Also white gold. Still, our whole set was under $1k. We have better things to spend our money on. Plus it was what we could pay cash for.

Thinking about it, I didn't do the one knee thing. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) We use to walk down to the beach everyday at a house we still own, but can't live in anymore. While sitting on a beached log, I popped the question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
Sparky
post Sep 8 2004, 01:49 PM
Post #18

Mahna Mahna!

Member No.: 847

Gee one question no one has asked, Are you two good friends? If so, why screw up a good friendship? Seriously though, spend what your comfortable spending. I spent more then 3 months salary but only because I cold afford to. Keep in mind the following, the ring is a symbol of your love, devotion, and commitment to each other. Find something that will covers those three without looking outrageous and hope she's satisfied. I married my best friend, and we still like each other after 9 years.

Good Luck!
Mike D.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Sep 8 2004, 02:03 PM
Post #19

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

After 24 years, I would suggest psychological testing prior to any ring (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) Ok, so I'm bitter (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
davep
post Sep 8 2004, 02:05 PM
Post #20

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

The 4 "C"'s of diamonds: cut, clarity, color, carats
(and that is the correct spelling for carats BTW)

I'd invest in a good pair of sneakers though, cause if'n you don't run away, she'll keep you on the run.
Good luck.
Married since '82. Damn, almost a life sentence.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 04:02 AM