Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Any 928 Owners out there?, I have a few questions
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 12:11 AM
Post #1

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

I seem to recall somebody posting here that they'd taken their 928 to some 914 or P-car events over the past year, so I think there are some closet Shark fans out there! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I just don't recall who it was, or if there are several??

I have a crazy question which I posted over at the Pelican 928 Forum about whether you could tow with a 928, so any shark lovers here could maybe answer over there:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-928...tml#post6595065

Otherwise, if you prefer I'll just post it here too, but I didn't want to clutter up a 914 site with 928 questions, and risk being kicked to the sandbox again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

TIA (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 12:14 AM
Post #2

TMI....

At the risk of a trip to time-out in the sandbox, I'll post the snipped question from the 928 forum here too ..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

<snipped>
Okay Folks,

Please no pot shots for a crazy question about towing with a non-Cayenne P-car, but there is a method to my madness.

My question is whether a 928 could tow a small 16' - 22' 2000 - 3000 lb Airstream type vintage trailer?

... and if so, can a 928 be fitted with a removable tow bar set-up to clear the rear panel & offset any low-to-high height differential to the trailer's tongue?

My wife is hot to get a vintage trailer & tow vehicle, but I'm not hot on getting a pick-up nor SUV (sorry Cayenne folks) in our stable.

The 928 seems the perfect possibility with more than adequate power & torque, with the added advantage of being a fun to drive P-car & an automatic in many cases, which my wife prefers over a stick. A 928 that she ostensibly drives may also get her more interested in joining me at local PCA events.

I recall seeing a 928 in San Diego back in the 1980's towing a Hobie Cat a lot back in the day, but don't know how it was set up with a tow bar.

Unfortunately I'm a long time P-car orphan addict, having owned a 73 914-2.0 since 1975 which I'm currently slowly restoring after spending 25+ years in my SoCal garage. So adopting another unloved NARP Porsche model oddly fits, and I've always liked the 928's looks & easy GT performance.

TIA for any advice from the "Shark Tank"!

Tom T
Orange CA
///////
<end snip>

Again, TIA! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Mar 2 2012, 01:34 AM
Post #3

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.vanagonhacks.com-12234-1330673674.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 02:09 AM
Post #4

TMI....

That looks fit for a family of eight - 2 up & 2 down front & back!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Oddly enough Dave, we already have a Westy that's needs more oomph for a tow vehicle, but then the trailer becomes repetitively redundant with a Westy anyway! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image Attached Image

What can you do when the wife has her plan!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

.... try to get a little fun in it for you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

.... and maybe she'll like (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) too, instead of wheeling our Westy around turns on 2 wheels! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/yikes.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 02:12 AM
Post #5

TMI....

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 1 2012, 11:34 PM) *

Holy Crap! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

.... my wife even has that very same Peace symbol hanging from her rear view mirror!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Mar 2 2012, 02:51 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 1 2012, 10:11 PM) *

I have a crazy question which I posted over at the Pelican 928 Forum about whether you could tow with a 928

928 towing another 928
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 03:56 AM
Post #7

TMI....

QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Mar 2 2012, 12:51 AM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Mar 1 2012, 10:11 PM) *

I have a crazy question which I posted over at the Pelican 928 Forum about whether you could tow with a 928

928 towing another 928

Thanx Dave, most of his towing pix are dead linx except the 2 of the 928s hooked up, so it's hard for me to see the detail of his tow bar build. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Hopefully I can find the tow car rear tow apparatus portion as more of a removable item, than what it looks like he did by welding into the frame & replacing rear bumper shocks, cutting the rear bumper, etc. I'd want something less intrusive on the towing vehicle 928.

But it does show that the 928 CAN tow a 3000+ lb. "something" across the country - CA to MA! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached Image Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 04:00 AM
Post #8

TMI....

An odd Quinky-dink that I just realized today as I was pondering a Shark tow vehicle, is that This TV network was playing a JAWS movie marathon!

Go figure!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 05:47 AM
Post #9

TMI....

Well for the naysayers, after looking around at some other 928 sites which I googled, I found that PORSCHE themselves provided a FACTORY tow hitch coupler, electrical connections for the trailers, & removable extended side rearview mirrors - among a plethora of roof racks & carrying accessories!

P/N: 928-721-031-02
Attached Image

Owners manual & shop manual lists tow capacities, although the tongue weights are pretty low ....
Attached Image

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) ... hmmmmm ...... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
BajaXJ92
post Mar 2 2012, 06:39 AM
Post #10

Extended Member

Member No.: 5,895
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

btt.
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Mar 2 2012, 06:54 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

My 80 euro had that tow hitch on it. Never used it, but thought it would be nice to have a jet ski behind it. My .02 is that what you are thinking about may require you too upgrade the rear struts and springs, I think regular BOGE struts and springs may not be enough. The transmissions are pretty strong but the torgue tube and connectors may be the weak link. Be interested on what you come up with. Give 928 International a call and ask Mark for advice. He will have the parts also. He will know.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 2 2012, 07:19 AM
Post #12

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

My guess is the trailer issue will be a moot point when you add up the true cost of 928 ownership.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Mar 2 2012, 09:11 AM
Post #13

rich herzog

Member No.: 513
Region Association: None

I have heard that the 928 was very popular in Europe for its ability to tow a sailboat...
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Mar 2 2012, 10:33 AM
Post #14

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407
Region Association: None

I heard the 928 is quite famous for it's many electrical problems. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I have also heard it is one of the best GT touring cars ever built. For towing, get an F150.
+Quote Post
SUNAB914
post Mar 2 2012, 11:29 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 9,880
Region Association: South East States

Accessory issues due to electrical problems.
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #16

TMI....

QUOTE(BajaXJ92 @ Mar 2 2012, 04:39 AM) *

btt.

Huh?? ... wtf is btt?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 03:20 PM
Post #17

TMI....

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Mar 2 2012, 04:54 AM) *

My 80 euro had that tow hitch on it. Never used it, but thought it would be nice to have a jet ski behind it. My .02 is that what you are thinking about may require you too upgrade the rear struts and springs, I think regular BOGE struts and springs may not be enough. The transmissions are pretty strong but the torgue tube and connectors may be the weak link. Be interested on what you come up with. Give 928 International a call and ask Mark for advice. He will have the parts also. He will know.

Thanx Gunny! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I've heard that timing belts & torque tube replacements are the big 3+/- year interval replacement items.

I've been looking at the 86.5 928S's with big brakes, 288 HP/360 ft-lb TQ 16v 5.0L & early shark body, and 87-89 928S4's - as the price/performance sweet spot. Although I prefer the early nose/tail & spoilers - or no spoilers look

So I don't know if springs & struts would be an issue on those later ones?

The trailer she's currently looking at & hot for is a 20' 1960 Avion (looks similar to Airstream, but her hot-to-trot trailers change weekly! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ), which is about 2600 lbs. & single axle - so it's hitch weight at 280-ish lbs. would be the problem here with using a 928 to tow.

So I'll have to look at alternative ways to lessen that hitch weight to within the 928's 110# limit with the trailer experts, so convert/add to a twin axle which automatically adds stability & keeps the weight off the tongue.

EDIT: with a pic of her current "target of opportunity" -
Attached Image

BTW - if you're still in the DC area, I'll be there this Oct. for a conference with the wifey & visiting my brother/family (after visiting our kids in Asheville NC & Ft Drum NY), so maybe we can get together then? I'll PM you as time gets closer & I know my schedule better.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Tom
///////
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #18

TMI....

QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ Mar 2 2012, 09:29 AM) *

Accessory issues due to electrical problems.

From what I've been reading on 928 forums/blogs, that was worst in the pre-85 928s, but it's always an issue with heavily accessorized Luxe cars - especially once the parts start going NLA! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

That's why we stayed away from the power windows & mirrors option packages when we ordered our Westy in `88, given VW's spotty quality in the 80's. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 03:35 PM
Post #19

TMI....

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 2 2012, 05:19 AM) *

My guess is the trailer issue will be a moot point when you add up the true cost of 928 ownership.

Right now we live 2.2 miles from her work, I'm in RE too (development side) & office at home & only drive to meetings, and live local to malls/stores etc., & kids are both grown & gone.

Ergo, we're only putting about <10k on all vehicles combined, and the trailering might add 1-2k per year max. - so adding a 928 into the mix & more or less evenly dividing the mileage puts it at 3300 mi/yr.

With IIRC 45k interval on the 928 timing belt & torque tube replacements - we should be just fine on annual maintenance costs & insurance - so long as we got one not needing all that to start & or other problems, electrical gremlins, etc. Some owners on the Pelican & other 928 forums are saying $1-2k per year for maintenance, with driving a lot more than we will.

But your comment fits right in line with the last Excellence Buyer Guide comments too. Also low resale - like our 914s 10-15 years ago at their low point in value or the 356's before that, which I think will eventually go up in another 5-10-15 as other P-cars have always done so. So I'm hoping if we bought smart/right now,& care for it for 5-10 years, that resale values by then would be on the upswing.

... I hope! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Mar 2 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #20

TMI....

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Mar 2 2012, 08:33 AM) *

I heard the 928 is quite famous for it's many electrical problems. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif) I have also heard it is one of the best GT touring cars ever built. For towing, get an F150.

Elliot - I've already told her if it's to be a truck or SUV (not even a Porsche), then we'll just frigging rent one 1 or 2 times a year to tow it! We don't need a pick-up/SUV sitting around to pay for + maintenance + insurance to use it once or twice a year. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Plus maintenance & electrical problems are not non-existent on Ford F150s, other pickups & SUVs nor even Cayenne's - especially older ones.

Plus - I'm trying to get something for me out of this trailer transaction! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
... and that top GT tourer rep. is what attracted me to this split use concept - IF it works out by towing capability for limited trips.

I don't even know if she'll like the looks of the 928's (important for the gals too), (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
.... but I think she'll like it's performance & ease of handling/driving with an auto ("her Westy" is an auto & her DD), which isn't the case for other P-cars.

So we could split our +/-10-12k annual DD & road trip time between it, the 325e & Westy - with the 928 used 1-2x per year to tow a few hundred miles, and preferably as the long trip road car.

Currently our 325e gets that duty (unless we're camping or hauling stuff) since it's more comfortable & gets 30-35 mpg highway than the Westy (vertical seating with min. recline & 18-22 mpg), but she doesn't like to drive the 5 spd in it (35 years as an RN gave her foot problems).

So the 86.5-89 928S's w/ auto mid to high 20 mpg highway would split the other cars' highway mpg ranges, & I'd think it would be more comfortable than either the 325e or Westy Vanagon, as well as than a F150!

Heck - when new the 928s were slotted above the 911s & sold for $50-80k in the mid to late 80s era I'm looking at, so they were superb GT tourers! An old GF's brother had one (85 IIRC) that I drove & rode in a few times, and it was sweeeet!

A completely different P-car experience, which I can much better appreciate for certain long trips, now that I'm 30+ years older! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

... hopefully the wife would appreciate it too - if we end up looking seriously at this route - and then I get something out of this crazy trailer idea of hers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Jury is still out ..... so we'll see how this plays out for the technical issues, whether wifey likes it, and whether we can find a decent one at the right price.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 01:03 AM