Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Water spots, In the paint that I can't get out
michael7810
post Sep 23 2013, 07:44 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,164
Region Association: Southwest Region

I've tried wax, polishing compound and rubbing compound and it doesn't do a thing to remove these spots. They appeared after the car was parked outside in the rain, then sun. It looks like the paint is faded because I
can't feel anything on the surface. I recently cleaned and waxed it with PS21 products and it looked great until this. The car was painted 25 years ago. Thanks for any tips you have.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i1170.photobucket.com-13164-1379987048.1.jpg)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
r_towle
post Sep 23 2013, 07:57 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Try a clay bar
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Sep 23 2013, 08:00 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 5,568
Region Association: None

How aggressive were you with the rubbing compound, and what kind did you use?
Have you tried a clay bar?
Hopefully a paint guru will chime in soon.
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Sep 23 2013, 09:34 PM
Post #4

I have not tried a clay bar. I was not real aggressive with the rubbing compound. Just worked on one spot by hand for a minute and it didn't do a thing.
+Quote Post
NJ914Guy
post Sep 23 2013, 09:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,546
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Clay bar or a porter cable DA with some cutting polish will work.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Sep 23 2013, 09:45 PM
Post #6

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

Water spots can happen when water is allowed to sit on the car in the sun. First, try a clay bar with a little waterless cleaner to lubricate it. Don't expect this to take them off but it should pull up all the other grime on the surface. Then, try an aggressive polish. If this doesn't take it up, go to rubbing compound. With the rubbing compound, if there isn't color on your cloth, you're not rubbing hard enough.
+Quote Post
orthobiz
post Sep 24 2013, 04:51 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 7,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Per John Paterek, add some Blue Magic about the size of a pea in the middle of some P21S Paint Cleaner. If possible try on a less critical area first...

Paul
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Sep 24 2013, 06:30 PM
Post #8

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(orthobiz @ Sep 24 2013, 04:51 PM) *

Per John Paterek, add some Blue Magic about the size of a pea in the middle of some P21S Paint Cleaner. If possible try on a less critical area first...

Paul

Yep!
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Sep 24 2013, 07:07 PM
Post #9

Blue Magic - is that a metal polish?
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Sep 24 2013, 08:08 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 5,568

From a Google search, the all purpose cleaner? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Sep 24 2013, 10:12 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 1,419

Actually, from a chemistry perspective (and a paint one too, since I've worn that hat), water is best. The deposits are minerals present in the water before it evaporated on the surface. Try washing the car, in cool weather, in the shade if possible. Keep the area saturated (wet) as long as possible. That will help the deposits become soluable in the water again. Using rubbing compounds doesn't usually do a good job because the binding agent of the deposits aren't affected by the solvents (xylene/benzene/ketones) that are used as the carrier solvents for the 'grit' of rubbing compounds.

Polishing paint (which is removing paint, really) doesn't seem like a good solution to removing something that is ON the paint.

If the water route doesn't work, head to your local marine store, there are some products out there specifically made for removing water spots from boats.
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Sep 24 2013, 10:23 PM
Post #12

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

Thats metalic paint, so I would think its a base clear. Dont use rubbing compound till you see color like Rob said unless you know its single stage.

You need to get aggressive with the rubbing compound, sounds like you've done everything else.

+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Sep 25 2013, 07:39 AM
Post #13

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 25 2013, 12:12 AM) *

Actually, from a chemistry perspective (and a paint one too, since I've worn that hat), water is best. The deposits are minerals present in the water before it evaporated on the surface. Try washing the car, in cool weather, in the shade if possible. Keep the area saturated (wet) as long as possible. That will help the deposits become soluable in the water again. Using rubbing compounds doesn't usually do a good job because the binding agent of the deposits aren't affected by the solvents (xylene/benzene/ketones) that are used as the carrier solvents for the 'grit' of rubbing compounds.

Polishing paint (which is removing paint, really) doesn't seem like a good solution to removing something that is ON the paint.

If the water route doesn't work, head to your local marine store, there are some products out there specifically made for removing water spots from boats.

Now THAT is my kind of response, since I wear the science hat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) That's what I've always done - saturate the paint with a longer wash. Clay bar if you like at that point. Then follow up with a quality wax. The wax will help to fill in the microscopic voids in the paint and minimize the deposition of other materials like minerals.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Sep 25 2013, 08:26 AM
Post #14

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

find someone with a real buffer, not a polisher. A little buffing compound and then some polish and it will come right out
+Quote Post
jbyron
post Sep 25 2013, 08:39 AM
Post #15

Jamie

Member No.: 7,916
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I've always had excellent results removing water spots with a clay bar. Follow the directions on the box, and use LOTS of the spray lubricant that it comes with. The spray lubricant should loosen the deposits, and the bar will pick them right up. Seriously, try this first. By far the quickest and easiest, and in my experience, super effective.
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Sep 25 2013, 10:07 AM
Post #16

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Sep 25 2013, 05:39 AM) *

QUOTE(Rob-O @ Sep 25 2013, 12:12 AM) *

Now THAT is my kind of response, since I wear the science hat (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) That's what I've always done - saturate the paint with a longer wash. Clay bar if you like at that point. Then follow up with a quality wax. The wax will help to fill in the microscopic voids in the paint and minimize the deposition of other materials like minerals.

Thanks Painted Man, just trying to help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I use a clay bar on my vehicles as well. I haven't used it for water spots though. It is an easy method to try first if you have the clay bar around. If not, I've found the clay bar at Autozone or other FLAPS.
+Quote Post
andys
post Sep 25 2013, 11:28 AM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 721

My Daughters dark blue '13 Elantra got water spotted when a sprinkler broke durring a 100+ degree hot spell in SoCal. I thought "Oh great, now I've got to rub it out", but I got lazy. A week later, I took it to the local car wash. It came out with water spots gone. I was amazed!

Andys
+Quote Post
michael7810
post Sep 25 2013, 05:00 PM
Post #18

It's not metallic paint and I've been told it is single stage paint (whatever the hell that is). I'll try a clay bar and report back.
Thanks
+Quote Post
Jeff Hail
post Sep 27 2013, 12:07 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,712

How did all those Grandma's clean the water spots off the fine crystal? Vinegar.
How do you clean a dishwasher? Cup filled with vinegar in the bottom and press start.
How do you clean a coffee maker? Vinegar.
How do you clean grout haze off tile? Vinegar.
Whats works to get water spots burned into glass off? Vinegar
How do you make a bathtub shine? Vinegar.
How do you clean effervescense in concrete? Vinegar.
How do you clean chrome? Vinegar

What do all these have in common? Its all scale of some kind (lime or calcium).
3 parts water (preferably distilled or soft to 1 part white vinegar.

Washing your car? Add a couple capfuls of vinegar to your wash bucket. It will shine bright before you even apply wax.

Roadtar? 3 to 1 vinegar.

Windows frost up after sitting over night? 2 cap fulls per qt of water as a window cleaner and anti fogging agent.

Cat problem? Vinegar

Ant problem? Vinegar

Rabbit problem? Vinegar

Grease stained your hands like a tattoo? Vinegar

Sunburn? Vinegar

Ex -wife? Vinegar

Pesky red heads? Vinegar

If its good enough for Grandma its good enough for you.

Have tiny rust spots? Rail dust or iron dust from disc brakes stuck to your paint? Auto Magic #713 or Oxalic acid diluted 8 parts water to 1 part.

Really heavy spotting after a rain? Baking soda desolved in water as a pre-wash on your mits.

No swirl polish? Corn starch

It's old school but it works.
+Quote Post
Rob-O
post Sep 27 2013, 06:10 AM
Post #20

I don't know why, but the above post reminds me of the Dad in "My Big Fat Greek Wedding"! His modus operandi was Windex though!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 02:29 AM