Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> At what point do you stop takeing things apart?, Want to get it back on the road but also want to do total restoration.
offwatch
post Jan 8 2014, 12:57 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,725
Region Association: None

Had two day of fun days of driving the 914 after I bought it last Fall. Wanted to replace the interior which was totally gone and a few other projects and get it back on the road by early Spring.

I have pulled the seats, carpeting, door panels, and dash to have replaced or redone. I have also pulled the fuel tank, and all the air duct and vent parts out so the cockpit is down to sheet metal.

Last night I was pulling the old brittle lower gasket to the windshield out when the windshield decided to crack. So now I have the windshield out.

I had planned to just replace the interior and have fun with it this Spring and Summer then do a total disassembly down to the sheet metal and have it repainted next Fall and Winter.

After getting this far I am torn between keep going and strip every thing else off and start prepping it for a total paint job or start going back together so I can have some fun with it this Spring and Summer then do the paint next Fall.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
gifted914
post Jan 8 2014, 02:04 AM
Post #2

middleagecrisis

Member No.: 15,778
Region Association: Australia and New Zealand

QUOTE(offwatch @ Jan 8 2014, 04:57 PM) *

Had two day of fun days of driving the 914 after I bought it last Fall. Wanted to replace the interior which was totally gone and a few other projects and get it back on the road by early Spring.

I have pulled the seats, carpeting, door panels, and dash to have replaced or redone. I have also pulled the fuel tank, and all the air duct and vent parts out so the cockpit is down to sheet metal.

Last night I was pulling the old brittle lower gasket to the windshield out when the windshield decided to crack. So now I have the windshield out.

I had planned to just replace the interior and have fun with it this Spring and Summer then do a total disassembly down to the sheet metal and have it repainted next Fall and Winter.

After getting this far I am torn between keep going and strip every thing else off and start prepping it for a total paint job or start going back together so I can have some fun with it this Spring and Summer then do the paint next Fall.

At this point you will join with many of us and "DO THE STRIP" and "DO THE STRIP"
The 914 I mean or do I.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
billh1963
post Jan 8 2014, 06:24 AM
Post #3

Car Hoarder!

Member No.: 12,871
Region Association: South East States

So many restoration projects wind up being sold on this forum for pennies on the dollar after the well intentioned owner strips the car then loses interest, runs out of money, etc.

If the car is safe to drive and does not have serious structural issues, choose one thing to work on at a time and keep it on the road. For example, redo the seats and carpet, then redo the brakes, rebuild the suspension, etc. In other words, do a project that can be done with minimal downtime and then drive the car for a while until you do the next project. That way you can enjoy the car and keep the interest alive!
+Quote Post
cary
post Jan 8 2014, 07:19 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 1,608
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Best solution, if you have the space.
Two cars ...........
One driving.
One restoring.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jan 8 2014, 07:39 AM
Post #5

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Once the glass is I would keep going. Once the glass is back in you would not want to pull it again.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jan 8 2014, 09:26 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 12,594
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(cary @ Jan 8 2014, 05:19 AM) *

Best solution, if you have the space.
Two cars ...........
One driving.
One restoring.

I tried that, got one running, bought a project and was going to work on the project while I drove the runner, but then I just kept improving the driver to make it nicer to drive and the projects is still sitting, now the driver is down for a -6 conversion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

So yesterday I bought another driver.....problem solved right. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

Point is there is no right answer, what ever you do....you'll always think maybe I should have gone the other way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

Do what feels right for now...have fun with it or what's the point.

Jeff
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 8 2014, 09:38 AM
Post #7

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

It all depends. For ME....I needed to drive it for a few weeks at least, so I can get an idea for what the car needs. This process will also get your blood flowing, as you know what it feels like to drive the car.

Just like anything else...whatever you have the appetite for. My last one, I did the body, and interior. Left the engine bay alone, and the front trunk for the most part.

This time...ALL the way down to a naked tub, then I'll re-build everything piece by piece. Way easier if you have every part cleaned and laid out. I'll bet there are guys here that could build an entire 914 in less than a week with everything marked and ready to install.
+Quote Post
jeff
post Jan 8 2014, 09:58 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 1,570

+1
If the car is safe to drive and does not have serious structural issues, choose one thing to work on at a time and keep it on the road. For example, redo the seats and carpet, then redo the brakes, rebuild the suspension, etc. In other words, do a project that can be done with minimal downtime and then drive the car for a while until you do the next project. That way you can enjoy the car and keep the interest alive!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
boxsterfan
post Jan 8 2014, 11:26 AM
Post #9

914's are kewl

Member No.: 791

Please beware!!! Jack stands are like crack cocaine for 914's.

Keep your 914 jack stand free. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 8 2014, 12:54 PM
Post #10

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

Sounds like you caught a bad case of Dirk Wright's Disease.

I caught it and ended up stripping the car to a bare chassis. Got it put back together and can drive it again, but it was off the road for 5 years.'

Good luck!
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jan 8 2014, 01:47 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 73

Dang it Clay you beat me to it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Someone else will tell the tale...just did a search on the topic and got a little ferclemped.... Goes back to 2003, although the legend is a lot older. Sure miss some of those ole' boys.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jan 8 2014, 02:30 PM
Post #12

Life's been good to me so far.....

Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 8 2014, 01:47 PM) *

Dang it Clay you beat me to it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Someone else will tell the tale...just did a search on the topic and got a little ferclemped.... Goes back to 2003, although the legend is a lot older. Sure miss some of those ole' boys.

Not a legend. Dirk Wright really existed in the pre-Rennlist days on Porschelist.

Search for Dirk Wright on this forum for the whole story.

+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jan 8 2014, 02:31 PM
Post #13

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

So yesterday I bought another driver.....problem solved right.

Where's the fuel pump? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
worn
post Jan 8 2014, 02:36 PM
Post #14

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

I had my TR6 body stored in two pieces for 2 years while I finished the frame and motor and it was 6 years before the maiden voyage. 6 long years. Skip some things.

I am trying to keep that in mind with the 6 build, but it will be 4-5 realistically. I plated my own parts etc. Never ends. Never clean enough or smooth enough.
+Quote Post
worn
post Jan 8 2014, 02:39 PM
Post #15

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152

QUOTE(offwatch @ Jan 7 2014, 10:57 PM) *

Are there rust holes all over? If there are not, run away from taking it apart. Big holes are harder to think about. I am happily driving one car with holes while I replace panels in the other.
+Quote Post
damesandhotrods
post Jan 8 2014, 04:48 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 12,218

You’re not into it that deep yet. As long as it’s structurally sound, and mechanically sound, finish the repairs and do the restoration later. Drive and enjoy it a little. You’re only looking at saving a few of hours of work, if you go to disassemble it again. Plus it should come apart easier and faster the second time around.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jan 8 2014, 06:47 PM
Post #17

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

the taking it apart and putting it back together business ends right before you decide to sell it.
+Quote Post
JStroud
post Jan 8 2014, 07:59 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 12,594

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 8 2014, 12:31 PM) *

So yesterday I bought another driver.....problem solved right.

Where's the fuel pump? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) I don't know.....guess I'll find out Saturday..why is there a problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris Pincetich
post Jan 8 2014, 08:12 PM
Post #19

B-)

Member No.: 4,907

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

Rick knows. The windshield is a bitch. Of course, doing a new windshield now MAY improve your chances of not breaking it or cracking it next time it is removed for a proper paint job vs. messing w the (presumed) 40 y.o. original. Some paint jobs don't remove the windshield....

The decision kinda depends on how much prep is needed before paint. Some folks spend months or years on fixing rust and dents.

If the body is in good shape and you don't want a bare-metal restoration paint job, I vote for more work now to get it all stripped for paint, then host a re-assemble party BBQ this summer or fall and it will be put back together in no time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Myself, I have followed the "keep it on the road" plan and am tackling rustoration piece-meal. I also lack a proper garage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Have fun! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
offwatch
post Jan 8 2014, 10:57 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 16,725
Region Association: None

Fortunately most of the big stuff has already been done on the 914. I bought the car from my Son who owned it for the last 5 years (I think he is a member on this site). He had just finished rebuilding the engine and his first car projects were to replace the floor under the seats and a little bit of fab and repair in the hell hole area. This was his daily driver through high school and first couple of years of college.

Cosmetics, the paint and interior are the last big things that need to get repaired. After fighting the windshield, unless there is a way that I can install the windshield that would be easy to uninstall next Fall I am probably leaning more toward going for the total strip down now. I just want to be able to get it back together by Summer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Yah I know things always take twice as long as you think.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:28 PM