Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> issues with starter and ignition switch
rosenfe
post Aug 5 2014, 12:55 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,512
Region Association: None

my 73,intermittently turning key will not engage starter.new starter.if i jump terminal on starter with screw driver,even just to spin starter motor without solenoid engaging,i can go back and turn starter motor with key.sometimes it seems that if i push on ignition switch connector under dash it will start.ive ordered a new switch,old one looked okay.any ideas?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 4)
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 5 2014, 01:17 PM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

While it likely could be be the solenoid dying, consider replacing both the ground strap from the transmission to the body as well as the ground from the battery to the body. After 40 years these things build up a lot of corrosion and resistance and can make adequate passage of electricity problematic. I replaced both of mine and it made a HUGE difference.

I have also had a dying starter, which I believe was the solenoid which actually went bad. Exact same symptoms you mentioned. The solenoids and starters can be cleaned and rebuilt I believe. Consider having it rebuilt and replace the grounds. It'll give you piece of mind.

That's at least where I would start if you've already replaced the ignition switch.
+Quote Post
rosenfe
post Aug 5 2014, 01:24 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 5 2014, 12:17 PM) *

While it likely could be be the solenoid dying, consider replacing both the ground strap from the transmission to the body as well as the ground from the battery to the body. After 40 years these things build up a lot of corrosion and resistance and can make adequate passage of electricity problematic. I replaced both of mine and it made a HUGE difference.

I have also had a dying starter, which I believe was the solenoid which actually went bad. Exact same symptoms you mentioned. The solenoids and starters can be cleaned and rebuilt I believe. Consider having it rebuilt and replace the grounds. It'll give you piece of mind.

That's at least where I would start if you've already replaced the ignition switch.

the starter and solenoid are new(3 months old).trans ground starp was just cleaned.ill check ground on battery.
+Quote Post
rosenfe
post Aug 5 2014, 01:26 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(rosenfe @ Aug 5 2014, 12:24 PM) *

QUOTE(ThePaintedMan @ Aug 5 2014, 12:17 PM) *

the starter and solenoid are new(3 months old).trans ground starp was just cleaned.ill check ground on battery.

i havent replaced ignition switch,have one on order.just wondering why jumping terminals on starter motor would make switch work again?
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Aug 5 2014, 01:31 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Sorry, did not read that in your original post without the spaces after periods. Electricity and switches are funny things and keep in mind that they're all 40 years old now. Can't explain to you why it works once you jump it, but I think you're going down the right path with a new switch. Good luck.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 02:45 AM