Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> One side of the engine cooler than the other
tornik550
post Sep 3 2014, 07:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,486
Region Association: None

I dhave been playing around with my 2258 4cyl (dual weber 44 Idf's). The car drives great. I installed a new 4 channel head temp gauge. I noticed that the 1/2 side of the engine was about 30 degrees cooler. I thought maybe there was simply faulty measurement so I did a bunch of measurements with an ir thermometer. I checked headers case, heads, intakes, tin... and all measurements were about 30 degrees cooler on the 1/2 side. I also looked at all the spark plugs and they all look about the same. The car runs very well however I have a slight pop on decel that goes away if I slightly enrich cyl 2.

Any ideas?

The head temps and header temps are normal on the 3/4 side so 30 degrees low on 1/2 side.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 8)
VaccaRabite
post Sep 3 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

3/4 side naturally runs a little hotter due to air flow under the cooling tins. Assuming you are using stock tins.

Zach
+Quote Post
dirk9141973
post Sep 3 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #3

Unregistered

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Sep 3 2014, 06:09 PM) *

I dhave been playing around with my 2258 4cyl (dual weber 44 Idf's). The car drives great. I installed a new 4 channel head temp gauge. I noticed that the 1/2 side of the engine was about 30 degrees cooler. I thought maybe there was simply faulty measurement so I did a bunch of measurements with an ir thermometer. I checked headers case, heads, intakes, tin... and all measurements were about 30 degrees cooler on the 1/2 side. I also looked at all the spark plugs and they all look about the same. The car runs very well however I have a slight pop on decel that goes away if I slightly enrich cyl 2.

Any ideas?

The head temps and header temps are normal on the 3/4 side so 30 degrees low on 1/2 side.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) are the flaps blocked on one side I found a piece of paper in tins
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Sep 3 2014, 07:37 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(dirk9141973 @ Sep 3 2014, 09:29 PM) *

QUOTE(tornik550 @ Sep 3 2014, 06:09 PM) *

Any ideas?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) are the flaps blocked on one side I found a piece of paper in tins

I suppose it's possible that there could be a problem with the tin. Why would the headers be cooler also if the problem was just the tins?
+Quote Post
stugray
post Sep 3 2014, 07:47 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

The 3/4 side has the oil cooler on it.
That adds more heat to that side, and the cylinders get less airflow.
+Quote Post
tornik550
post Sep 3 2014, 07:52 PM
Post #6

QUOTE(stugray @ Sep 3 2014, 09:47 PM) *

The 3/4 side has the oil cooler on it.
That adds more heat to that side, and the cylinders get less airflow.

Should I expect that the headers would also be hotter on the 3/4 side?
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 3 2014, 07:53 PM
Post #7

I am Tangerine Racing

Member No.: 209

Check your intake airflow at 3000 rpm to see if the 1/2 side carb is opening a little less than the 3/4 side carb. If one side of the engine is working harder it will be hotter.
+Quote Post
stugray
post Sep 3 2014, 07:58 PM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819

I also read on this forum somewhere while talking about timing:
Supposedly the stock distributor actually retards timing of just cyl #3 because it was known to run the hottest by the designers.

I know of no reason for that or if it is a myth.
I guess someone could check the lobes on the distributor cam.

Supposedly running an aftermarket distributor or a some pertronix modules eliminates the few degrees for cyl #3.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Sep 3 2014, 10:53 PM
Post #9

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

A 25-50* delta between the two banks of cylinders is normal and expected. This is due to the tangential flow of the cooling air as discharged from the fan in a clockwise motion.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 09:35 PM