Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tarett Prototype Rear Swaybar, Pics of install
eeyore
post Mar 29 2005, 04:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,533
Region Association: None

I'm the lucky sap who got to work with Ira at Tarett Engineering and have my car be the test mule for rear swaybar development.

We got a chance to test the prototype rear swaybar at the PCA SDR autocross last weekend.

Here's all the gory details. I felt the need to be wordy so as to help provide and accurate picture.

(The content are my own words. Although I have been given permission to discuss this, I want to make it clear that I am not speaking for Ira.)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
eeyore
post Mar 29 2005, 04:25 PM
Post #2

There were concerns that a rear swaybar causes inside wheel spin. This didn't seem to be the case, but I'll describe the course to qualify that.

The course went uphill from turn 4, crossed the slope and came back down around turn 8.

Turn 1 was the tightest section of the course, requiring a redlined 2nd or bogged 3rd gear entry. There was no inside wheel spin here.

Most wheelspin seemed to happen around Turn 4, an on-camber (?) corner.

The right-left dogleg at 5 was more of a chicane/kink.

Turn 7 & 8 where off-camber and the car tracked nicely through them as well.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Mar 29 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #3

The Car:

'Tinkerbell' 1975 914 with 2.0 D-jet Type 4. Open differential.

Front: 21mm torsion bars. Tarett swaybar- 22mm effective, set 55% stiff for entire day.
Rear: 200 lbs springs. Tarett swaybar - 16mm effective. 50% stiff first half. Full soft second half.
Shocks:Koni Yellows at all 4 corners. All set at half.
Tires: Although the CS class permits use of stickier tires, Falken Azenis were fitted due to the car owner being a CSOB and having only one set of suitable rims. Tire pressures were finalized at 26 psi hot for timed runs.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 29 2005, 04:26 PM
Post #4

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

way cool! it looks like it doesnt mount in the OE location.
if it is anything like the front bars they make...im sure they will be bitchin! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Mar 29 2005, 04:29 PM
Post #5

The Drivers:

Might as well explain who was driving the thing.

Sometime club member DB-- 2003 PCA-SDR CS class champ. Ex-motorcycle racer, starting 4th season of autocross.

Me: 6th autocross. Usually 4 seconds behind DB at previous events.

TTOD was 1:10.

The majority of 914-4s were in the 1:23 to 1:25 range (some on Kumho Ecstas). The outlier of the event was the CS class winner on brand new Kumhos at 1:19.xx (jerk!). DB posted a best time of 1:23.11, I posted a best of 1:24.72.
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Mar 29 2005, 04:38 PM
Post #6

Initial set-up, rear swaybar at 50% stiff
On slow transitions into sweeping turns, oversteer existed but was not a terrible problem. However, negotiating the slalom was very difficult. The car would make the first turn, but the rapid transition to the next would just swing the back end right out. The abruptness instilled a bit of hesitation in me on the slalom for the remainder of the day. There were occasional incidents of inside rear-wheel spin, but also some incidents of (slight) throttle-on oversteer.

Second set-up, rear swaybar at full soft
Great improvement. The oversteer had gone from abrupt to very mild/just right. The car became very predictable. Happiness was restored. DB went from dissatisfaction with the car to pleased. The car could be tossed from side to side without worry of the back end coming around. There seemed to be more incidents where the car could coaxed into throttle-on oversteer and very little (zero?) incidents of inside rear-wheel spin.
+Quote Post
Jeroen
post Mar 29 2005, 04:42 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 3
Region Association: Europe

post more pics!!!
lets see the mount
+Quote Post
brant
post Mar 29 2005, 04:49 PM
Post #8

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I'd be curious if there was a control, where the drop link was disconnected and the car was run with no bar?

+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 29 2005, 04:51 PM
Post #9

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE (brant @ Mar 29 2005, 03:49 PM)
I'd be curious if there was a control, where the drop link was disconnected and the car was run with no bar?

aahhhh...

fulfilling the scientific method (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Mar 29 2005, 04:52 PM
Post #10

Location of the swaybar was an exercise in compromise – Will only racers use these? How stock will people want their cars?

The stock swaybar attaches to pads welded onto the cross member and bends around the transmission mounts. Hollow swaybars are straight, so the normal ‘stock’ position wasn’t too likely. The bar had to either be entirely in behind or forward of the transmission mounts.

With the bar located behind the transmission mount, there were clearance issues because of the muffler heat shield (red arrows). To avoid the head shield, the bar would have to be set up fairly high, necessitating the arms to have a dogleg shape to get back underneath the crossmember. During initial brainstorming there are also issues with ’75 and ’76 cars which have additional gussets for mounting the ugly bumpers (blue arrow).

Locating the bar forward of the crossmember permitted the use less complicated arms. It fits neatly above the transmission.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 29 2005, 04:54 PM
Post #11

Professional Lawn Dart

lets see the mounts and a top view from inside the rear trunl (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
grantsfo
post Mar 29 2005, 04:56 PM
Post #12

Arrrrhhhh!

Member No.: 433

I wonder if running higher pressures in the Falkens would have helped with the slalom. I have always felt Falkens get real sloppy in transitions at anything under 34 psi and I often run them even higher. I can get my car to become much more "whippy" in transitions when I bring Falkens below 30 psi.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 29 2005, 04:58 PM
Post #13

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE (grantsfo @ Mar 29 2005, 03:56 PM)
I wonder if running higher pressures in the Falkens would have helped with the slalom. I have always felt Falkens get real sloppy in transitions at anything under 34 psi and I often run them even higher. I can get my car to become much more "whippy" in transitions when I bring Falkens below 30 psi.

i agree... i run 38 PSI rear and 36 front
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Mar 29 2005, 05:00 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (brant @ Mar 29 2005, 02:49 PM)

Alas no. The scientific method was not completely employed, although I tried.

Time constraints between run groups limited the amount of twiddling. We also didn't have any baseline settings for a front-only setup, so that would have consumed practice laps as well.

The desire to not get completely whomped during timed runs factored in as well -- coming in dead last wouldn't be a good testimony for the product, even if the product had nothing to do with it.

The final mount design is still under consideration. Right now the mount is assembled together from the parts bin and bolted to the trunk floor with additional metal stiffeners. Pictures of it would elicit a GADZOOKS! or worse. Probably worse.
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Mar 29 2005, 05:11 PM
Post #15

Thanks for the tire pressure info!

Tire pressures were a gray area... I think the low pressures were carried over from Kumho Victoracer experience. There were reports of some guys running 42 psi with Azenis, but that seemed a little extreme.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Mar 29 2005, 05:13 PM
Post #16

Professional Lawn Dart

QUOTE (Cloudbuster @ Mar 29 2005, 04:11 PM)
Thanks for the tire pressure info!

Tire pressures were a gray area... I think the low pressures were carried over from Kumho Victoracer experience. There were reports of some guys running 42 psi with Azenis, but that seemed a little extreme.

35 psi is theminimum i run mine, they just dont stick under that threshold...... feels sloshy (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/dry.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/unsure.gif)
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Mar 29 2005, 06:04 PM
Post #17

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

Nice progress report!

I agree as to the higher tire pressures. I used to run 41psi rear and 39psi front with great schticktion. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Give us more pics and tuning experiences.
Do you need to jack up the car to adjust or is there room to work? Does the bar preload as you adjust from side to side?

KT
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Mar 29 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #18

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

How are the arms of the bar oriented when the car is at rest with weight on the rear wheels? I would be worried that the arms might under some circumstances contact the trunk floor, which really sucks for handling let me tell you. The stocker does this some times on lowered cars with soft-ish springs. Especially when the car encounters a bump in the turn.

--DD
+Quote Post
eeyore
post Mar 29 2005, 06:19 PM
Post #19

Even though I'm a very thickly torsoed, I was able to squeeze under the rear valence and make adjustments. But, my car was running about 1 inch higher compared to other cars.

This brings up a good point. It would be good to know what the average ride height of A-X and race 914s are to get an idea of the final droplink length. Measured from ground to fender top, at wheel center.

The bar does preload from side to side, but it is slight. I could hand crank the droplinks a few turns with the car on the ground.

+Quote Post
eeyore
post Mar 29 2005, 06:22 PM
Post #20

Here's a close-up of the shock bolt.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 11:30 PM