Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Fog light led conversion, Anyone done it?
GeorgeRud
post Feb 28 2017, 05:10 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I was wondering if anyone has swapped out the original 35w bulb in the early round (worthless) fog lights for some LEDs? It should make a nice option and could be used as daytime running lights to help defend ourselves against today's brain dead drivers.

BTW, does anyone else have trouble with the search function giving too many results that don't seem to be relavent?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
rgolia
post Feb 28 2017, 05:25 PM
Post #2

GeoJoe

Member No.: 11,329
Region Association: North East States

I thought someone looked into this. I think the reflector is the problem, but it would be great if it could be done.

Nice yellow 914 btw.
+Quote Post
jkb944t
post Feb 28 2017, 08:28 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,459
Region Association: None

I was interested in this too but that bulb has an odd sized base that I couldn't find in an LED version. I hope you have better luck since I think lots of us would be interested in an LED solution.

Jeff B
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Feb 28 2017, 10:11 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 805

These are $22 for a pair, fit into the standard fog lamp opening, and only require minor fabrication to make a bracket that adapts to the existing fog lamp mount point on the car. I have them on my car and they're ridiculously nice.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NAR0S2...=UTF8&psc=1
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Feb 28 2017, 11:02 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 12,732

Hmmm, PHX area? I'll look for you if you're ever up in north Scottsdale... don't see a lot of 914's. In fact, I see more McLarens etc than I do 914's. Seems like every other car is a Cayenne or newer 911 or some type!

+Quote Post
mramber
post Mar 1 2017, 08:52 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 15,768

QUOTE(pbanders @ Feb 28 2017, 10:11 PM) *

These are $22 for a pair, fit into the standard fog lamp opening, and only require minor fabrication to make a bracket that adapts to the existing fog lamp mount point on the car. I have them on my car and they're ridiculously nice.

That is exactly what I am rigging up for my car! Glad to hear that you like them!
+Quote Post
Firstcar
post Mar 1 2017, 11:13 AM
Post #7

Obsessive amateur mechanic

Member No.: 12,831

George (OP),
I wanted my freshly restored fog lights to remain stock, but take advantage of modern LED technology. I looked for a warm color temperature LED bulb that fit the original socket but could not locate anything so I made my own.

It wasn't that hard and I'm really happy with the results.
I unfortunately took no assembly pics but I'll do my best to describe the project.
Found these LED bulbs on Amazon 2 yrs ago - 6 watts, 550 lumens, 3000 K color temp. and 12 volts. All I had to do was mount them on my old stock bulb bases.

https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/113698/PLT-300221.html
Attached Image

I took the stock bulbs and used a heat gun to separate the glass bulb from its base. Once you get the base hot you can carefully twist the glass element back and forth(with gloves) to loosen it from its base. Then disconnect its leads by melting the solder on the bottom contact points of the base to completely remove the bulb leaving an empty base.

It would be easier If you could source the correct blank base as a starting point - but these are an old, unusual base type and I could not find them.

I cleaned out the remaining adhesive from the base (a powdery residue) and soldered thin insulated wires to the new LED leads to extend them about 1/2" longer than the length of the empty base. You want the stripped ends of your new leads to pass through the electrical contact points on the bottom of the old base so you may need to drill a small hole through any remaining solder. IIRC polarity did not matter with these LED units.

Leave yourself about 1/4" of space between the top of the metal base and the bottom plate of the LED assembly once the new leads are soldered to the bottom of the base. That will leave you just enough room to inject clear epoxy into the base before seating the LED assembly on top of it.

When the epoxy dries you have a solid, complete LED bulb assembly that fits perfectly in the stock foglight sockets! These bulbs are equivalent in brightness to a 50 watt halogen lamp and have a warm vintage glow like stock bulbs.

With respect to mounting a brighter LED bulb in an "incandescent" housing, keep in mind that the stock foglight retains an upper beam cutoff guard and these bulbs project a 360 + degree pattern which hits the stock reflector in similar fashion to a stock bulb. Theoretically they should not blind oncoming drivers and provide a very similar beam pattern as the stock bulbs.

I am very happy with the results. My objectives were achieved: stock appearance and fit, brighter more effective light output, warm vintage color temperature (not white or bluish light), less drain on the electrical system and longer life.

Hope this inspires others to try it.
-Scott
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Mar 1 2017, 12:55 PM
Post #8

GeoJoe

Firstcar...thanks for the info, i am going to give it a shot. Do you have any pictures on the lights working?
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Mar 1 2017, 01:04 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482

Thanks, I was hoping someone may have found some readymade, but this modification is certainly achievable. I wanted to use the fog lights as daylight running lights and the LED draw would be minimal. Otherwise I thought trying to modify the back of the fog light for another size bulb base would be another option.
+Quote Post
Firstcar
post Mar 1 2017, 01:30 PM
Post #10

Here's a shot with the lamps off. You can just make out the reflection of the individual LED devices in a close up mirrored in the fog's reflector.
Attached Image

And here os with the fog lamps on. Notice the color vs the LEDs in Spokes turnsignal conversion, which are a more common LED color.
Attached Image

BTW, I use the euro version with the LEDs as my Day Time Running lights. If traffic is really crazy, I put the fogs on as well!
-Scott
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 1 2017, 01:51 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Firstcar @ Mar 1 2017, 02:30 PM) *

Here's a shot with the lamps off. You can just make out the reflection of the individual LED devices in a close up mirrored in the fog's reflector.

And here os with the fog lamps on. Notice the color vs the LEDs in Spokes turnsignal conversion, which are a more common LED color.

BTW, I use the euro version with the LEDs as my Day Time Running lights. If traffic is really crazy, I put the fogs on as well!
-Scott

That's great!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rgolia
post Mar 1 2017, 01:54 PM
Post #12

GeoJoe

Maybe spoke would be willing to make these up for those of us with poor eyesight and poor soldering skills. I have Spokes led lights as well. Should we PM Jerry?
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Mar 1 2017, 05:40 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(mramber @ Mar 1 2017, 07:52 AM) *

That is exactly what I am rigging up for my car! Glad to hear that you like them!

I posted details of my install about 6 months ago, I'll look up the link and add it to this message on a later edit.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;#entry2400729
+Quote Post
mramber
post Mar 3 2017, 05:13 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 15,768

QUOTE(pbanders @ Mar 1 2017, 05:40 PM) *

I posted details of my install about 6 months ago, I'll look up the link and add it to this message on a later edit.

Thanks! This looks like a great way to mount them. I was going to try to use the stock mount and cut the light housing to fit into that, but then the light would have been set back in too far. I try this out this weekend.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Mar 3 2017, 08:47 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(mramber @ Mar 3 2017, 04:13 PM) *

QUOTE(pbanders @ Mar 1 2017, 05:40 PM) *

Thanks! This looks like a great way to mount them. I was going to try to use the stock mount and cut the light housing to fit into that, but then the light would have been set back in too far. I try this out this weekend.

I used the bracket that came with them, and made an adapter with sheet steel stock that allowed me to bolt them to the stock mount points. It was a pretty simple job.
+Quote Post
Biggles
post May 11 2017, 03:15 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 16,353
Region Association: England

QUOTE(Firstcar @ Mar 1 2017, 08:30 PM) *

Attached Image

Attached Image

-Scott

Scott /Anyone !

do you have a picture of a typical bulb that would go in the fog lights?

I read this thread and bought similar LED bulbs and looked at it tonight and it wont fit into the square central hole ! So i'm wondering how this as done?

Chris.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
913B
post May 11 2017, 04:22 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 3,983
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Firstcar
post May 11 2017, 05:10 PM
Post #18

Chris,
I think you have a different foglight than what came with my car. Here is what I have and the incandescent bulb that came with it. Perhaps you have an aftermarket light. I don't think the US makes cars had halogen foglight bulbs.
Attached Image
-Scott
+Quote Post
anderssj
post May 11 2017, 06:23 PM
Post #19

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Chris,

Your light might be a slightly different version of the Hella 118 light. It looks like it uses an H3 bulb (~55 watts). This lamp was often found on European cars. The US version of the Hella 118 used a 35 watt incandescent bulb--which also required a different reflector assembly (larger hole). If you have a picture of the lens/back of the lamp body we can tell for sure. FWIW, I've got part numbers somewhere if you're interested . . . .

Hope this helps!
+Quote Post
Biggles
post May 12 2017, 01:34 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 16,353
Region Association: England

Steve/Scott

Thanks for your replies. That makes total sense now. I didn't realise it was so different from the Euro spec lights.youre right, they are 55W. Back to the drawing board....

Do we know if you can get an LED replacement for a 55W type bulb then?

Chris
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 04:47 AM