Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Super deal on /6 conversion, craigslist ad
lapuwali
post May 25 2005, 10:30 AM
Post #1

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

Craigslist

Appears to be a running, but very rough car. Could easily be broken up for at least $4000 in parts.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
grantsfo
post May 25 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #2

Arrrrhhhh!

Group: Members
Member No.: 433
Region Association: None

QUOTE (lapuwali @ May 25 2005, 08:30 AM)
Craigslist

Appears to be a running, but very rough car. Could easily be broken up for at least $4000 in parts.

No keys and no paperwork?

+Quote Post
736conver
post May 25 2005, 10:50 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736

I wish I lived on the west coast. This is cheap. If they are weber carbs you just broke even.

Sweet deal for someone
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post May 25 2005, 11:03 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I always feel bad when you guys cross post this stuff on 914club.

You are hurting the people who take the time to scan Craigslist every day in search of a 914 bargain. Once a post like this hits the club, 50 highly motivated people all run at once to buy. It benefits the seller tremendously but not the avg Joe buyer. Same thing is true of ebay auctions. Cross posting on the club is the best free advertising a seller could ever get, especially when it's a "diamond in the rough" deal like this one could be.

Anyone else have opinions about this?
Disclaimer: I am just griping out loud, no personal offense meant to ANYONE by what I say.
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 25 2005, 11:04 AM
Post #5

Not another one!

QUOTE (grantsfo @ May 25 2005, 08:50 AM)
QUOTE (lapuwali @ May 25 2005, 08:30 AM)
Craigslist

Appears to be a running, but very rough car.  Could easily be broken up for at least $4000 in parts.

No keys and no paperwork?

Hence the parts car status. Just the front wheels are worth $400. The 911S front suspension is $600-800. The engine is $1000 at a minimum. If it has 914/6 HEs, those are nearly $1000 even in rough shape. Webers 40IDA3s are $1200 a set even in terrible condition. Solexes or Zeniths would still be worth $500 or so.

If I had the space to store the tub for awhile, I'd grab this myself.
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post May 25 2005, 11:05 AM
Post #6

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

Jkeyzer....

Probably one the biggest reasons I got oyut of buying and selling....
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 25 2005, 11:09 AM
Post #7

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

most people looking for 914 info and cars have found this site, and probably scan this site as much as craigslist... I don't think anyone is hurt by cross posting... maybe that's just me... no offense taken though... the seller DOES get a greater advantage, but I don't think the buyer is hurt...

if I have spare parts and I put them on samba, here and pelican for sale, is that unfair to the buyers on this club? or is that unfair to the person who only looks for parts on pelican? how is it unfair to any of the buyers? no...it's fair is it not smart as a seller to want your item seen?

but if I post parts for sale here, and someone sees them, and postes them on pelican, so the pelican people have a better shot, how is that unfair to anyone? I just don't get it...
+Quote Post
Howard
post May 25 2005, 11:12 AM
Post #8

Incontin(g)ent Member

Member No.: 943

Huh? With all due respect...
This link has been posted twice, and I think it's good for the club. If the one who finds it first (Craig) doesn't want it, he passes it on to the rest of us to kinda keep it in the family.

It looks like a great project. Now if I just had the room, or was even a half assed mechanic... Mikey, get a vin and do a search. If it's not #4's brother, let's get it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
airsix
post May 25 2005, 11:16 AM
Post #9

I have bees in my epiglotis

Member No.: 266

QUOTE (jkeyzer @ May 25 2005, 09:03 AM)

You are hurting the people who take the time to scan Craigslist every day in search of a 914 bargain.  Once a post like this hits the club, 50 highly motivated people all run at once to buy.  It benefits the seller tremendously but not the avg Joe buyer.  Same thing is true of ebay auctions.  Cross posting on the club is the best free advertising a seller could ever get, especially when it's a "diamond in the rough" deal like this one could be.

Disclaimer: I am just griping out loud, no personal offense meant to ANYONE by what I say.

You might feel this way because you're a buyer, not a seller. (I'm not a seller either, but...) We live in a free-market economy. The more effectively you link up buyers and sellers the more efficient the market is. The more efficient the market is the more it's fair. By fair I mean that the benefits of commerce are not weighted in favor of one group or another. If buyers are kept in the dark so the few can get "a steal" you can see that the result is a few buyers benefit at the expense of the seller. What you're saying is "I want a small group of buyers to have an unfair advantage." This mentalilty can get you a good deal in the short run, but harms the market. Commerce must be mutually beneficial to both buyers and sellers or the market will fail. If sellers find that they can't get fair prices they stop selling. Then both the buyers and sellers suffer. If sellers can easily connect with buyers and get fair prices they will continue to sell. Buyers and sellers both get what they wanted, the market grows, and we all reap the benefits.

-Ben M.

ps - the whole reason for the Craigslist/Ebay sucess is due to how efficiently they link up buers/sellers. Trying to hinder their efficiency is fighting against the basic reason they work.
+Quote Post
anthony
Post #10

2270 club

Member No.: 218

QUOTE (jkeyzer @ May 25 2005, 10:03 AM)

You are hurting the people who take the time to scan Craigslist every day in search of a 914 bargain. Once a post like this hits the club, 50 highly motivated people all run at once to buy. It benefits the seller tremendously but not the avg Joe buyer. Same thing is true of ebay auctions. Cross posting on the club is the best free advertising a seller could ever get, especially when it's a "diamond in the rough" deal like this one could be.

Craigslist used to be a nice little secret. Oh well. I scored a good running '74 2L with a 5 lug conversion for $1800 one time and a free 1.7 (that nobody wanted) and a free set of SSIs that came with it.

So Jeff, did you call the guy? I'd be all over this if I had time and space.
+Quote Post
Toast
Post #11

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580

How can you tell where this is located?
+Quote Post
Series9
post May 25 2005, 11:18 AM
Post #12

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

If the car sells to a club member, I would like to purchase the front strut/brake assemblies.
+Quote Post
TravisNeff
post May 25 2005, 11:21 AM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 447

It says it in the top of the ad.

www.craigslist.org > san francisco > cars & trucks >

In SFO
+Quote Post
lapuwali
post May 25 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #14

Not another one!

Craigslist hasn't been much of a secret for 3-4 years. They're like a $30M company now, part owned by Ebay.

I've seen enough cases even in the past year with good deals on Craiglist where I was the ONLY person to reply (or the only one that was serious enough to go look) that I don't think getting the word out about a good deal is harming anyone. No, you can't get deals for way under market anymore, but that kind of imbalance never stays that way for long. That's how free markets work. Either the sellers get discouraged by the low prices and sell elsewhere, or the buyers quickly find out about the killer deals and prices go up.

Just in the last 12 months, I've seen a savable VW go to the crusher because someone didn't get a serious response from their Craigslist ad. This particular ad is one of those deals that could easily go wrong just because no one was serious enough. I know how killer a deal it is, but I no truck, no trailer, no space, and I need another project like I need TWO extra holes in my head.

I hope this car goes to someone on this board, and that they benefit from it. That's why I posted it.

+Quote Post
TonyAKAVW
post May 25 2005, 11:30 AM
Post #15

That's my ride.

Member No.: 166

Its kind of like this secret fishing hole that you have known about for years. Its always stocked because no one knows about it. Then all of a sudden you post it in Fishing Times magazine and everyone is all over it.

For the market in general its good, but not for the individual who figured out (or got lucky) where the fishing hole was in the first place. Finding steals is what every buyer wants. Its simply inevitable these days that secret fishing holes will be exposed eventually. The internet is really good at that kind of thing.

For the seller, its good that this happens, but if the seller truly wants the fair price for what he is selling then he needs to advertise it properly. Everyone knows that Craigslist has nowhere near the reach of Ebay. From a seller's perspective that can be good or bad. A seller probalby doesn't want to deal with all the scammers and idiots that exist on Ebay.

So the situation is this. If you want to find a steal you just need to be more resourceful or lucky than the masses. Craigslist is/was a good place to find steals, but there are other places and ways as well. If you are the kind of person who likes to find a steal, don't post it because you are giving away your secret. If you like paying "fair price" go for it.

-Tony

+Quote Post
neo914-6
post May 25 2005, 01:31 PM
Post #16

neo life

Member No.: 159

QUOTE (anthony @ May 25 2005, 09:16 AM)
QUOTE (jkeyzer @ May 25 2005, 10:03 AM)

You are hurting the people who take the time to scan Craigslist every day in search of a 914 bargain.  Once a post like this hits the club, 50 highly motivated people all run at once to buy.  It benefits the seller tremendously but not the avg Joe buyer.  Same thing is true of ebay auctions.  Cross posting on the club is the best free advertising a seller could ever get, especially when it's a "diamond in the rough" deal like this one could be.

Craigslist used to be a nice little secret. Oh well. I scored a good running '74 2L with a 5 lug conversion for $1800 one time and a free 1.7 (that nobody wanted) and a free set of SSIs that came with it.

So Jeff, did you call the guy? I'd be all over this if I had time and space.

I like Craigslist, the price is right (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)

Listing ads should be no big deal. To find a deal you'd have to check CL, 914club, eBay, or other sites every day every hour. Who does that? Ok, I may but how many people do that at the same time? Even the free 914's require someone to have the space, tow means, and time. Who has all of that? Technology has made the world smaller and information more available but we are also more financially, space, or time broke...
+Quote Post
SLITS
post May 25 2005, 03:23 PM
Post #17

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE (Howard @ May 25 2005, 10:12 AM)
Huh? With all due respect...
This link has been posted twice, and I think it's good for the club. If the one who finds it first (Craig) doesn't want it, he passes it on to the rest of us to kinda keep it in the family.

It looks like a great project. Now if I just had the room, or was even a half assed mechanic... Mikey, get a vin and do a search. If it's not #4's brother, let's get it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)

Screw you Howie.....I already bought it!
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post May 25 2005, 03:32 PM
Post #18

stoya, stoya, stoya

Member No.: 792

QUOTE (SLITS @ May 25 2005, 04:23 PM)

Screw you Howie.....I already bought it!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

I'm glad someone on the club pulled the trigger... had it been closer, I'd have put the bitch on a credit card and hid it at a friend's house(so my wife wouldn't find out) long enough to pull what I wanted off it(to sell)!

+Quote Post
Series9
post May 25 2005, 03:34 PM
Post #19

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

I want the struts if they're for sale.
+Quote Post
neo914-6
post May 26 2005, 12:25 PM
Post #20

neo life

Member No.: 159

You have half an hour to get to SSF and bid on the car. First come first serve, maybe a bidding war. 911 oil tank, tranny was questionable, body needs work, I doubt it is worth $4k but what do I know. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)
Good luck and tell your story if you buy it...
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 10:46 PM