Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> triple progress, now with carbon fiber
worn
post Mar 28 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #1

can't remember

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I was hoping to have this put together but had an argument with a bag of concrete mix and now I have either a herniated disc or a stress fracture. L4 - my favorite. So, it is all I can do to sit at the computer for a half hour. I still am hoping to do WCR, but that is 4,000 miles for me in a 914. Heal faster (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Anyway here is what we got:

Started with the dies from an earlier attempt. Smooth out the old and mill the new
Attached Image

I bought a rotating table and the mill for this project. Well and other things too
Attached Image

First step was making the clamps.

I also made a punch so the I can start with the holes for lights and maintain registration
Attached Image

That gives me this:
Attached Image

Ready to press. I spent a lot of time setting things up for a pin router to cut out the gauge windows, but that didn't work out. So I have the dies and the sheet ready to form.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
914Sixer
post Mar 28 2018, 10:57 AM
Post #2

914 Guru

Member No.: 3,457
Region Association: Southwest Region

Sweet !
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 28 2018, 10:59 AM
Post #3

can't remember

From there it is a matter of opening the window sectors so the gauges show through. As it turns out, the dies do a partial cut. That is a help, but it is a bit ragged, so I finished the job with an angle grinder. harbor Freight sold this to me for $10. I have always been spooked by that, but now I have close to a dozen so I don't have to change grinding wheels for different jobs. I digress.
Attached Image
Attached Image

I spent several weeks trying to engrave through black paint with a laser. 2 and a half watts will set paper on fire, but don't do the job I wanted. BTW I hate Rustoleum. The master of lifting on the second coat.
Made back plates. Thanks Stephen! Also, this one uses the newer plug back fuel gauge, and I am going to use LED strip lighting, so the back is kind of different. Soldering on the light holders.
Attached Image

I wanted to match the old warning light look, so went with acrylic rod 10mm or 3/8 in. The light guides are carbon fiber tubes used for making model aircraft.
Attached Image

Carbon Fiber gauges! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif) such fun. Not really a cool factor, as cardboard would also do. I am going to use titanium white paint to seal the screws on the back. Whooo. Titanium.
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 28 2018, 11:05 AM
Post #4

can't remember

So now it is a matter of assembly.
Attached Image

I decided to wrap the LED strip instead of attaching the strip to the can. I will report on that layer. I used a sheet of acetate film to insulate the back. Not shown here but it outgo handle any heat since it goes through the laser printer.
Attached Image

I cracked some of the paint on the face in the background above, so the next photo shows a blank face, and you can see that the warning lights look like the 914 style, but of course they could also be like the donor 911 gauge at right.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 28 2018, 11:40 AM
Post #5

can't remember

The light guides hold the face off the gauges, and the inner glass bezel holds the new face down against the light guides, so it is mechanically anchored. I decided to make the back plate slide into the can from above rather than screw on from the back. In the original the hole in the back is big enough to get the gauges out without opening the front. That works for two gauges, but not for three. There isn't enough room.

I have acquired enough gauge parts for say a half a dozen more of these. I have them safely on a shelf so that the hoarders cannot get them. I would like to make some of these for people to take advantage of the tooling and experience. Sort of a shame to make just one. But I don't need a business nor do I want to charge for my time. Not sure if anyone wants them either. Kinda of a specialty item. There are other sources. My idea was to make something that looks like it would have been made back then. Trying to explain to my wife that there is no real triple gauge for a 914. The real gauges would have looked out of place I think.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post Mar 28 2018, 01:14 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,019
Region Association: None

Amazing work!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Mar 28 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #7

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

We used to call it a 904 gauge

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914forme
post Mar 28 2018, 03:40 PM
Post #8

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Your Welcome, sorry to hear about the back issues.
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 28 2018, 03:52 PM
Post #9

can't remember

QUOTE(mepstein @ Mar 28 2018, 11:47 AM) *

We used to call it a 904 gauge

That’s what I mean. Great if you have one, but it still doesn’t match the 914 gauges. I suppose with anything 904, you trade a car for the gauge in dollars. Or were they available at one time?
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 28 2018, 03:54 PM
Post #10

can't remember

QUOTE(914forme @ Mar 28 2018, 01:40 PM) *

Your Welcome, sorry to hear about the back issues.

Thanks Stephen! I should have paid more attention to your signature line. Boring waiting to heal. But at least I expect to.
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 29 2018, 06:54 AM
Post #11

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

Good progress!

I tried soldering the tubes onto the backplate, but I learned a way to remove donor light tubes and re-crimp them onto my modified backplate. They come out nice.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 29 2018, 09:43 AM
Post #12

can't remember

QUOTE(John @ Mar 29 2018, 04:54 AM) *

Good progress!

I tried soldering the tubes onto the backplate, but I learned a way to remove donor light tubes and re-crimp them onto my modified backplate. They come out nice.

They do look nice indeed! I have been using a chamfering bit to drill out some of the metal on the tubes and then pull them out. How do you do it? The solder should help if a ground is needed, but yours look really good. Also soldering makes it so you can't use aluminum for the back plate, but crimping would make that work fine.
+Quote Post
John
post Mar 29 2018, 10:23 AM
Post #13

member? what's a member?

Member No.: 1,615

It takes a little more time to remove the bulb holders, but what I do is to cut the original baking plates close to the holders and then carefully break out the bulb holders. Once separated from the old destroyed backing plates, I insert a close fitting mandrel into the bulb holder and remove the original crimp from the bulb holders.

Then I simply insert the straightened out bulb holders into my new backing plates and re-crimp.

What I use for a crimp is a home made tubular mandrel that the main bodies of the bulb holders fit into, then I expand the tail of the bulb holder with an appropriately shaped tool like a small 1/4" socket. This re-creates the crimped bulb holder into the backing plate.

My backing plates are zinc plated steel similar in thickness to the original backing plates.

I know the time I save by not soldering the tubes makes up for the extra time it takes to harvest the bulb holders from the donor gauge backing plates.

I looked back at my timeline, and I guess I have been making my version of these things for close to 12 years. I never did inventory complete kits since everyone wants different things.
+Quote Post
worn
post Apr 3 2018, 10:02 AM
Post #14

can't remember

Well, closing in on the first one that will go into my six conversion car.

The light tubes are clear, so color filters are added. This allows more customization. Colored LEDs are possible for the brake and oil pressure lights, but the generator bulb must be at least 2 watts to get the alternator windings fields started.
Attached Image

Then put together with a face that has lettering at last
Attached Image

Note that on either side are original 911 gauges. The earlier ones had "Temp" and "Press" in vertical lettering, while the later style is what I copied. The earlier warning lights match what the 914s came with, so I am going with that style light, although mine are solid acrylic instead of the original thin color filters.
I am curious what people think. Which lettering style and which warning light style looks better.
Time to light them up. I made a mistake and put the green filter for the brake warning and the red for oil pressure.
Attached Image

I decided to match the red filter with a red LED wedge bulb. That is why it is brighter. Also, I moved the oil pressure warning light to the right hand spot. I am average height, and for me that spot is the most visible, and catches the eye better. You see the other spots, but they are behind the steering wheel a lot of the time.
Here is how it looks with a flash photograph. In person they are all bright in daylight.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
gereed75
post Apr 3 2018, 10:14 AM
Post #15

Member No.: 15,674
Region Association: North East States

Very well done! What did you ultimately use for lettering?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Apr 3 2018, 11:23 AM
Post #16

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

You sir are a genius! Great work....
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 3 2018, 01:13 PM
Post #17

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Fantastic!
+Quote Post
mb911
post Apr 3 2018, 03:29 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,892

Wow I want one of those. Nice job.
+Quote Post
worn
post Apr 3 2018, 06:29 PM
Post #19

can't remember

QUOTE(gereed75 @ Apr 3 2018, 08:14 AM) *

Very well done! What did you ultimately use for lettering?

I used a system made by decal pro fx. Hard to learn the system, which hs numerous steps where one can fail. On the other hand I can make anything that comes out of a laser printer. That is one reason I am asking for which styles people like. Ultimately I would like to offer a kit for people who want it. All three of them.
+Quote Post
914forme
post Apr 3 2018, 06:36 PM
Post #20

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Great Job, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) and you know I am on that list as it takes this gauge and completes it in my eyes. Does about everything I ever wanted and wished to do with the 904 gauges. LOL I am willing to build my own though, it is not like I don't have the skills.

And yes the Decal Fx stuff is a pain, once you have it down you can label about anything as long as you can design it and print it on the laser.

As far as style (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Keep it with Druck, is that what your asking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) I also prefer the oil pressure in real numbers, and the temp in numbers. New Vintage South still sells the gauge faces if you want to see an example.

In the instructions I used to send out with the kit it had the faces done. Quality was a bit crappy but, you can use them as a template to get your design done.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 09:51 AM