Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 newby buyer, 1971 porche 914 stuck in 1st gear
Ratrod87
post Sep 8 2019, 07:47 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,429
Region Association: None

Hello everyone I was hoping someone in this awesome community could help me diagnose and transmission or shifter problem. I recently within the last 24hrs made a deal on a 71 porsche 914 and have yet to get it home but I already know the car is stuck in 1st gear. The previous owner thinks something on the shifter has broke or come loose and doesn't think it's the transmission. I have never worked on a porche 914 so can someone tell me what I need to look for. I have very good mechanical skills and even have a well outfitted personal shop with a two post lift which leads me to my second question. (Is it safe to lift this car with a two post lift? The car appears to be solid and rust free except for the hell hole .) Any help or advice would be much appreciated. I also have a great sense of humor if anyone wants to roast a greenhorn....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Rand
post Sep 8 2019, 08:39 AM
Post #2

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

That's some classic newbie hoser scammer language. What are you really wanting? Funny how easy it is to spot. The kid is a nice touch. And yet people will fall for it and feed you. Enjoy the fodder.
+Quote Post
jmitro
post Sep 8 2019, 08:40 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 18,986

Ok I'll be the first to say it's spelled Porsche LOL.
congrats on the purchase.

there are three shift couplings to inspect. First under the shifter (pull back the carpet), second at the firewall (behind the rubber boot) and last on the transmission. I would make sure all of those are intact before going any further.
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 8 2019, 09:29 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 8 2019, 08:39 AM) *

That's some classic newbie hoser scammer language. What are you really wanting? Funny how easy it is to spot. The kid is a nice touch. And yet people will fall for it and feed you. Enjoy the fodder.

Yeah I'm not sure where you going with this but I assume you are calling me a scammer and I don't appreciate it. I was under the impression that this was a community that helps out others with advice and knowledge. I'm not asking for a handout , I'm not trying to sell anything. I have been into cars as long as I could walk and talk and I always try to help others when they need help. The kid in the car is my 9 yr old son who loves this car and is the reason I'm buying this car. If you don't won't to offer advice then why are you even on this forum. So far I've met nothing but awesome people on this site but RAND is proving to me there is always an asshole in the bunch.
Enjoy the fodder you prick!!
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 8 2019, 09:35 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(jmitro @ Sep 8 2019, 08:40 AM) *

Ok I'll be the first to say it's spelled Porsche LOL.
congrats on the purchase.

there are three shift couplings to inspect. First under the shifter (pull back the carpet), second at the firewall (behind the rubber boot) and last on the transmission. I would make sure all of those are intact before going any further.

Thank you for your advice, it's nice to have an idea of what to look for . I didn't even realize I was spelling Porsche wrong ,lol thanks for letting me know I feel like an idiot , ha ha. Thanks for helping out a newbie hoser scammer who post a proud picture of the car he just bought that his 9 yr old son is sitting in the seat and the whole reason u bought the car.
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 8 2019, 09:45 AM
Post #6

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 8 2019, 09:29 AM) *

Yeah I'm not sure where you going with this but I assume you are calling me a scammer and I don't appreciate it. I was under the impression that this was a community that helps out others with advice and knowledge. I'm not asking for a handout , I'm not trying to sell anything. I have been into cars as long as I could walk and talk and I always try to help others when they need help. The kid in the car is my 9 yr old son who loves this car and is the reason I'm buying this car. If you don't won't to offer advice then why are you even on this forum. So far I've met nothing but awesome people on this site but RAND is proving to me there is always an asshole in the bunch.

That's my sense of humor , before anyone gets mad I'm just kidding. I'm not mad at rand for his comments. If this offended anyone I'm sorry. Retreat to your safe space
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 8 2019, 09:55 AM
Post #7

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 8 2019, 09:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 8 2019, 09:29 AM) *

That's my sense of humor , before anyone gets mad I'm just kidding. I'm not mad at rand for his comments. If this offended anyone I'm sorry. Retreat to your safe space

I asked to be roasted
+Quote Post
Rand
post Sep 8 2019, 10:01 AM
Post #8

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Time will tell. I hope you prove me wrong. I care about this community and the quality within.
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 8 2019, 10:15 AM
Post #9

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 8 2019, 10:01 AM) *

Time will tell. I hope you prove me wrong. I care about this community and the quality within.

I understand , every one so far has been nothing but helpful. Seems like a great bunch of people with passion. It's obvious that you care alot about this community and the quality of it, I mean who else would tell someone who "just discovered how cool the Porsche 914s are and wants to get his kids involved with it "that they are a classic newbie hoser scammer, I'll tell you who , you "a cross member since 2005" ENJOY THE FODDER I think I'm going to change my profile name to classic newbie hoser scammer, it just rolls off the tongue. Thanks for keeping this community safe
+Quote Post
rjames
post Sep 8 2019, 10:22 AM
Post #10

I'm made of metal

Member No.: 4,467
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 8 2019, 07:39 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 8 2019, 10:50 AM
Post #11

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Buy a Haynes manual. The diagrams are very informative. The tail shift linkage has more areas for shifting issues than the side shift. Be aware of the rolled pin at the rear of the trans above the access plate. You will have to drain the gear lube first to inspect it. Make sure to remove the fill plug before draining.
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 8 2019, 10:55 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Sep 8 2019, 10:50 AM) *

Buy a Haynes manual. The diagrams are very informative. The tail shift linkage has more areas for shifting issues than the side shift. Be aware of the rolled pin at the rear of the trans above the access plate. You will have to drain the gear lube first to inspect it. Make sure to remove the fill plug before draining.

Thank you, I will definitely do that right now, it's probably a good thing to have. Thank you for your advice
+Quote Post
Minerva's 914
post Sep 8 2019, 11:01 AM
Post #13

Member No.: 19,489
Region Association: South East States

So I'm clear on the problem you're having, is it stuck in 1st gear and the shift handle will move freely or is it stuck in gear and the gear shift handle will not move at all.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

+Quote Post
RickS
post Sep 8 2019, 11:40 AM
Post #14

Member No.: 5,880

QUOTE(Rand @ Sep 8 2019, 07:39 AM) *

A very unfortunate way of showing you care.
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 8 2019, 12:10 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 8 2019, 11:01 AM) *

So I'm clear on the problem you're having, is it stuck in 1st gear and the shift handle will move freely or is it stuck in gear and the gear shift handle will not move at all.

The shift handle moves freely and the car is in first gear so I'm told. The story I got was he let a co worker drive it and he wasn't familiar with how to shift it properly. Hopefully it's a simple fix but if not I'm planning on dropping the engine and transaxle anyway to fix the hell hols. But I was hoping to drive the car some just to see if it had any other issues plus my son really wants to be dropped off at school in it. Thanks for your advice, I'm new to this community and to these cars and everyone so far has been super nice and helpful
+Quote Post
Minerva's 914
post Sep 8 2019, 12:31 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 19,489
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 8 2019, 02:10 PM) *

The shift handle moves freely and the car is in first gear so I'm told. The story I got was he let a co worker drive it and he wasn't familiar with how to shift it properly. Hopefully it's a simple fix but if not I'm planning on dropping the engine and transaxle anyway to fix the hell hols. But I was hoping to drive the car some just to see if it had any other issues plus my son really wants to be dropped off at school in it. Thanks for your advice, I'm new to this community and to these cars and everyone so far has been super nice and helpful

Yep, follow @jmitro advice "there are three shift couplings to inspect. First under the shifter (pull back the carpet), second at the firewall (behind the rubber boot) and last on the transmission" and I think you'll have a quick fix
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 8 2019, 12:49 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(Minerva's 914 @ Sep 8 2019, 12:31 PM) *

QUOTE(Ratrod87 @ Sep 8 2019, 02:10 PM) *

Yep, follow @jmitro advice "there are three shift couplings to inspect. First under the shifter (pull back the carpet), second at the firewall (behind the rubber boot) and last on the transmission" and I think you'll have a quick fix

Thank you I will definitely start there . I not sure if anyone cares but I'll post pics on what I find.
+Quote Post
burton73
post Sep 8 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #18

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

Dear Ratrod87,

We do not roast Newbies or Greenhorns here. Great people here. Lots of knowledge on these little cars and there is some incredible talent. Rand has an interesting line of humor.

Welcome to the world. In ten more years, you son will be driving and it is great to have a helper in your family. There are more than a few guys that have taught their kids to drive a stick shift on the 914World

Welcome -- Bob B

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Ratrod87
post Sep 8 2019, 02:23 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(burton73 @ Sep 8 2019, 02:10 PM) *

Dear Ratrod87,

We do not roast Newbies or Greenhorns here. Great people here. Lots of knowledge on these little cars and there is some incredible talent. Rand has an interesting line of humor.

Welcome to the world. In ten more years, you son will be driving and it is great to have a helper in your family. There are more than a few guys that have taught their kids to drive a stick shift on the 914World

Welcome -- Bob B

Thank you Bob every one has been great to me, I am definitely looking forward to getting out in the shop with my two sons and making memories. As for Rand everything is good, I'm not upset about anything and I hope he isn't either, it's just friendly banter.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Sep 8 2019, 06:10 PM
Post #20

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Has your car been converted to a side shift trans? The shift pattern is on the knob. If the lever moves freely, like wallowing around doing nothing? You should be able to change gears by manipulating the rear shift where it enters the trans.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 12:07 PM