Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help buying a media-blaster
Literati914
post Jul 19 2021, 02:21 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,222
Region Association: Southwest Region

First of all, budget.. I'm thinking a HF model.. but which one?

I've come to the conclusion that with two project cars, I've got too many large-ish items that'll need to be media blasted. So, I'm thinking about purchasing a blaster, instead of paying someone to do it. I already have a small blasting cabinet (that I hate), that I can deal with for small stuff.. but I have various wheels, frt and rear control arms, cross members, sheet-metal, etc..

I do have a 25gal 5hp (8.2@40 - 5.6@90) direct drive compressor AND a separate 25gal tank (That I used to know how to run in tandem w/the compr. - but need to relearn). I also have an old 6-man camping tent that I plan on using for blasting (may be able to re-use some media, besides keeping the crap contained in general).

Not trying to blast the body, only medium large stuff. Anyone used an economical unit that they can recommend?

User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
iankarr
post Jul 19 2021, 02:36 PM
Post #2

The wrencher formerly known as Cuddy_K

Member No.: 18,749
Region Association: Intermountain Region

It depends on what you’re blasting. I’d only use soda on anything near the engine, for example. I set up a great compressor (2 stage 5HP 65 gal), bead blasting cabinet and soda blaster to clean parts for my bumblebee, so my recommendation may sound surprising, but….if I were you, I’d send the parts out to a blaster who’s set up to do this for a living. A few reasons: 1) mess, 2) cost of media and gear, 3) safety (they have the right respirators), 4) time. Or maybe just buy a soda blaster for the delicate work you don’t want to entrust to someone else. I’m all about DIY, but after doing a bunch of blasting, for me, it’s worth sending out.
+Quote Post
mgarrison
post Jul 19 2021, 02:53 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 23,922

I dealt with the same dilemma. Here's what I did, and the link to my build thread (page 5 towards the bottom)...

I was really struggling trying to figure out how to get a wire/fiber brush down into all the nooks & crannies in the frunk area, and the area under the gas tank. I thought I had found a flexible extension for my drill, but then received an email that it was no longer available from the supplier! headbang.gif

At that point I gave up and got a abrasive blaster from HF. I decided on the 110lb model since it was only $20 more than the 40lb model. After reading reviews, I stopped by Tractor Supply and got 100lbs of the Black Diamond fine blasting media (coal slag). It's $9.99/bag for 50lbs. The HF media is $24.99/bag for 50lbs!

I have a 2HP Kobalt twin cylinder compressor that's plumbed in to another 32 gallon tank left over from my old compressor that died. So, 62 gallons of 150PSI air, theoretically...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...43765&st=80

Mike
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Jul 19 2021, 03:05 PM
Post #4

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Continuous Duty Cycle rating for the comp is pretty important. The comp has to be able keep up with the tool. CFM.
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jul 19 2021, 05:04 PM
Post #5

QUOTE(mgarrison @ Jul 19 2021, 03:53 PM) *

At that point I gave up and got a abrasive blaster from HF. I decided on the 110lb model since it was only $20 more than the 40lb model. After reading reviews, I stopped by Tractor Supply and got 100lbs of the Black Diamond fine blasting media (coal slag). It's $9.99/bag for 50lbs. The HF media is $24.99/bag for 50lbs!

I have a 2HP Kobalt twin cylinder compressor that's plumbed in to another 32 gallon tank left over from my old compressor that died. So, 62 gallons of 150PSI air, theoretically...

Mike

Great info Mike !! Like I mentioned I'll not be doing body or panels, just the items too big for my smallish cabinet, and I'd be doing it in a contained space (large old tent).

Is coal slag gonna be ok for aluminum wheels and/or fan shroud (magnesium?), stock transmission (magnesium?) ?

No trying to be tone deaf to you other guy's suggestions - I appreciate all info and experience! I'm gonna have to do this 'cause hiring it out is too costly, and I'm not in a huge hurry to get it done quickly and once my projects are done I'll probably recoup some of the investment if only a fraction.

+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jul 19 2021, 05:17 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(iankarr @ Jul 19 2021, 02:36 PM) *

It depends on what you’re blasting. I’d only use soda on anything near the engine, for example. I set up a great compressor (2 stage 5HP 65 gal), bead blasting cabinet and soda blaster to clean parts for my bumblebee, so my recommendation may sound surprising, but….if I were you, I’d send the parts out to a blaster who’s set up to do this for a living. A few reasons: 1) mess, 2) cost of media and gear, 3) safety (they have the right respirators), 4) time. Or maybe just buy a soda blaster for the delicate work you don’t want to entrust to someone else. I’m all about DIY, but after doing a bunch of blasting, for me, it’s worth sending out.

+1, Ian nailed it again. Several years ago I went for the HF unit and it works to some degree, but these days I have made pals with a local metal prep service. Its value
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Jul 19 2021, 06:20 PM
Post #7

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jul 19 2021, 07:17 PM) *

QUOTE(iankarr @ Jul 19 2021, 02:36 PM) *

+1, Ian nailed it again. Several years ago I went for the HF unit and it works to some degree, but these days I have made pals with a local metal prep service. Its value

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Ian is right. Small cabinet and only do the small stuff.

Ingersol Rand 3hp 60 gallon tank single stage compressor doesn’t allow for 100% duty cycle and media efficiency falls off when pressure and flow drop.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 19 2021, 07:01 PM
Post #8

914-6 GT in waiting

Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Just bought a big blaster. Pressure fed and suction fed in the same unit. The air supply is really important. The spec on the blaster is usually the minimum needed.

Blasting inside a tent sounds miserable.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jul 19 2021, 07:08 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 19 2021, 08:01 PM) *

Blasting inside a tent sounds miserable.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) Oh my God, I can only imagine.. we've got rain and unbearable humidity constantly this spring/summer.. so yeah, that would suck. Nice blaster btw.

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 19 2021, 07:22 PM
Post #10

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Well... I blasted my whole frick'n chassis on a rotisserie in an HF garage tent using an HF 40 lb. blaster on a 5HP 80 gal. compressor. Time consuming? Yes! Fun? Hell NO! Satisfying? yes. Would I do it again? Sure, but consider that I live in the sticks where it is a royal PITA to haul chassis or parts down to the valley and wait weeks for one of the few guys who can do blasting to get around to it.

I will continue to use the blaster for small parts/projects. Even with my compressor, I spend a lot of time waiting for my compressor to catch it's breath. It can keep up for a long time running full on, but I try to keep it to a 50% duty cycle or less and found the pace was nice to let you take frequent breaks to do something else. This is true for parts large and small so you will need to be patient with your two small compressors in tandem. To give some examples: I blasted my windshield trim for painting in about 1.5 hours. About 2.5 - 3 hours to do the rocker covers and front and rear valances.

+1 on Black Diamond. I bought a few bags form my project and it worked well. Unfortunately the nearest Tractor Supply Co. is a 300 mile round trip so I mostly used crushed glass from a local lumber yard. The glass was cheaper than HF prices but not as cheap as the Black Diamond. I thought the glass blasted better than the slag and also recycled better, but if I had Black Diamond easily available, I'd have gone with it.
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 19 2021, 07:31 PM
Post #11

914-6 GT in waiting

We live in the sticks but I guess we aren’t that far out.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jul 19 2021, 08:31 PM
Post #12

Well, when a larger used blaster pops up local for cheap, I'm gonna snag it. May have to do a little in the morning and a little in the evening, but I've not got all that much to do when compared to a whole chassis (that I'm seeing is actually even do-able with some patients).

Question: Why is pressurized necessary? I mean I have a blast cabinet (something like 24"x24" squared) - why not just fill it up with fresh media and use it's siphon hose to shoot at the items outside it's cabinet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jul 19 2021, 08:54 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 19 2021, 07:31 PM) *

We live in the sticks but I guess we aren’t that far out.

Ha ha. It's more than 2.7 miles just for me to hit pavement! Worth it though. I woke up to the sound of elk bugle grunting to their calves through the open window this morning. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 19 2021, 09:10 PM
Post #14

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 19 2021, 10:31 PM) *

Well, when a larger used blaster pops up local for cheap, I'm gonna snag it. May have to do a little in the morning and a little in the evening, but I've not got all that much to do when compared to a whole chassis (that I'm seeing is actually even do-able with some patients).

Question: Why is pressurized necessary? I mean I have a blast cabinet (something like 24"x24" squared) - why not just fill it up with fresh media and use it's siphon hose to shoot at the items outside it's cabinet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Increased productivity. Generally, you will be able to clean surfaces about 3 to 4 times faster using direct pressure as opposed to siphon blasting. More aggressive force than siphon / suction blasting. Pressure blast cabinets deliver abrasive media at about twice the speed of siphon blasting cabinets.

Also, siphon blasting requires a minimum amount of material before The siphon gun will work.

Here's a good comparison video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGVrAGSBr0M
+Quote Post
Literati914
post Jul 19 2021, 09:16 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 19 2021, 10:10 PM) *

Increased productivity. Generally, you will be able to clean surfaces about 3 to 4 times faster using direct pressure as opposed to siphon blasting. More aggressive force than siphon / suction blasting. Pressure blast cabinets deliver abrasive media at about twice the speed of siphon blasting cabinets.

Also, siphon blasting requires a minimum amount of material before The siphon gun will work.

Thanks for educating me on that!
What about the aluminum and magnesium items, should I look to run a different media thru it for those pieces? ..or just turn down the pressure maybe?

+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 19 2021, 09:24 PM
Post #16

914-6 GT in waiting

QUOTE(Literati914 @ Jul 19 2021, 11:16 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 19 2021, 10:10 PM) *

Thanks for educating me on that!
What about the aluminum and magnesium items, should I look to run a different media thru it for those pieces? ..or just turn down the pressure maybe?

Just start with lower pressures. The media is also like sandpaper. Use the correct media and pressure for the finish you want to produce.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jul 19 2021, 09:41 PM
Post #17

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

A cabinet is a cabinet. How well you can see what your blasting depends upon how well it is lit it and how well it evacuates the dust. A really good blaster has this covered. You can add lighting or increase vacuuming power to a cheap cabinet as well. The main tool is the gun. The HF gun is anemic at best. Buy their cabinet but toss their gun. TP Tools sells a great gun that runs about $90 IIRC. You won't be disappointed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
mate914
post Jul 20 2021, 10:11 AM
Post #18

Matt

Member No.: 10,102
Region Association: North East States

I have and use a Texas Blaster. It will do soda, sand, mixed compounds, and coal ashes.
Can handle 10cmf-90!
I like the idea of using my compressor for smaller things. Or renting pull behind compressor like the state uses in construction, for doing a whole car in a few hours.

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
mepstein
post Jul 20 2021, 03:13 PM
Post #19

914-6 GT in waiting

A good cabinet is worth the money. You will find projects to blast and refinish. A mediocre cabinet is a pita. Guns clog or don’t drawl media. Cabinets leak and fittings pull away and visibility is poor. A foot pedal is nice for a lot of blasting.
+Quote Post
djway
post Jul 22 2021, 08:19 PM
Post #20

Member No.: 19,266
Region Association: Southern California

I have blasted two complete cars and all the associated parts plus much more. I did all of that with a harbor freight tank and a harbor freight cabinet. Both I made new media control valves. I also used the special high wear tips. Had no issues at all. I think I used garnet for the media on the bodies and I mostly use aluminum oxide in the cabinet.
Make sure you have a good water trap.
For large jobs you need CcccccFfffffMmmmmm.
I also used the HF tent.
Some window screen over the face shield makes it last longer.
I use a respirator.
Good luck.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 12:19 PM