Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Brakes, Stopping with M, A, or S
johnmhudson111
post Jul 28 2005, 08:11 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,191

Coupe of questions about brakes. First of all what is the difference between "M", "A", and "S" capliers? Is it the mounting bolt distance? Early vs.Late? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/confused24.gif)

Did the 914/6 come with "M" capliers? If not what did they come with? Can these brakes be upgraded to something like the "big reds?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V  1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
ClayPerrine
post Jul 28 2005, 08:27 AM
Post #2

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

M caliper. Cast iron 2 piston caliper. Uses 3" bolt spacing. Used on 73 and older 911, 914 and 914/6. Used with a spacer for the vented rotors. Same piston bore, pad size, and bolt pattern as the 914/6 rear caliper.

S Caliper. Aluminum 2 piston caliper. Uses 3.5" bolt spacing. Used on 74 and later 911 S and all 911s with sportomatic. Bigger pads than the M caliper. Had problems with corrosion in the piston bores. Rebuilt ones use a stainless steel sleeve to alleviate this.

A Caliper. Same as the S caliper, but made from cast iron. Bigger pad sizes than the M caliper.

As for upgrading to "Big Reds", you would have to put 74 and later 911 struts on the front to get the correct bolt spacing to fit the caliper, and you have to have 17" wheels for caliper clearance.

My suggestion.. Boxster (Not Boxster S) Monoblocks. There are bolt on adapters for them, and you can fit them under 16" wheels. But you still have to have the 74 and later 911 struts with the 3.5" bolt spacing.

My question to you.. how much brake do you REALLY need? Can you lock the wheels up now? Do you plan on running on a track where you would heat the brakes up enough to warrant the big increase in unsprung weight?

+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Jul 28 2005, 08:47 AM
Post #3

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 28 2005, 09:27 AM)
M caliper. Cast iron 2 piston caliper. Uses 3" bolt spacing. Used on 73 and older 911, 914 and 914/6. Used with a spacer for the vented rotors. Same piston bore, pad size, and bolt pattern as the 914/6 rear caliper.

S Caliper. Aluminum 2 piston caliper. Uses 3.5" bolt spacing. Used on 74 and later 911 S and all 911s with sportomatic. Bigger pads than the M caliper. Had problems with corrosion in the piston bores. Rebuilt ones use a stainless steel sleeve to alleviate this.

A Caliper. Same as the S caliper, but made from cast iron. Bigger pad sizes than the M caliper.

As for upgrading to "Big Reds", you would have to put 74 and later 911 struts on the front to get the correct bolt spacing to fit the caliper, and you have to have 17" wheels for caliper clearance.

My suggestion.. Boxster (Not Boxster S) Monoblocks. There are bolt on adapters for them, and you can fit them under 16" wheels. But you still have to have the 74 and later 911 struts with the 3.5" bolt spacing.

My question to you.. how much brake do you REALLY need? Can you lock the wheels up now? Do you plan on running on a track where you would heat the brakes up enough to warrant the big increase in unsprung weight?

I plan on taking the car to DEs and to AutoX but no club racing.

The reason I was asking about the difference in the capliers and the related struts was to get insure that I didn't buy a set of struts that locked me into having to no options. It looks like I need to stick with 74 or later strut.

Thanks!
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 28 2005, 09:03 AM
Post #4

Just make sure you don't get stuck with a set of Hydro-Pneumatic struts.. They were a POS right out of the factory....

+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Jul 28 2005, 09:05 AM
Post #5

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 28 2005, 10:03 AM)
Just make sure you don't get stuck with a set of Hydro-Pneumatic struts.. They were a POS right out of the factory....

How can you tell them from regular struts?
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 28 2005, 09:33 AM
Post #6

The hydro-pneumatic struts were quite a bit bigger in diameter, and look completely different from the standard 911 strut.

Simple, If it doesn't look like a 914 strut with different bolt spacing, don't buy it.

+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Jul 28 2005, 09:43 AM
Post #7

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 28 2005, 10:33 AM)
The hydro-pneumatic struts were quite a bit bigger in diameter, and look completely different from the standard 911 strut.

Simple, If it doesn't look like a 914 strut with different bolt spacing, don't buy it.

I have been looking at a couple of different listings on evil-bey one for a set off a 77 911. I would think they would be a good starting point. If I can get them.
+Quote Post
Oled
post Jul 28 2005, 10:34 AM
Post #8

Member No.: 247

I have Boxster calipers on the front of my 914 on '89 carerra struts. Widened 914/6 calipers on the rear and ventilated discs all around. I can lock up the front wheels to easily, even on the strack with new race tires on the car. On the street it would be dangerous for a different driver who would expect normal brake response. i am thinking about taking off the Boxster caliper and putting A's on the car. Several years ago I found a great deal on Ebay for these new in the box calipers and since my car has not run for a year and a half now, they are hardly used.
+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Jul 28 2005, 12:20 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (Oled @ Jul 28 2005, 11:34 AM)
I have Boxster calipers on the front of my 914 on '89 carerra struts. Widened 914/6 calipers on the rear and ventilated discs all around. I can lock up the front wheels to easily, even on the strack with new race tires on the car. On the street it would be dangerous for a different driver who would expect normal brake response. i am thinking about taking off the Boxster caliper and putting A's on the car. Several years ago I found a great deal on Ebay for these new in the box calipers and since my car has not run for a year and a half now, they are hardly used.

Looks like I am going to be getting the struts from that 77 911. It has the "A" capliers, want to trade? (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 28 2005, 08:40 PM
Post #10

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Hello, Clay...

S-Calipers arrived a tad before 74 Uncle Clay (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif) There's no such thing as a stainless sleeve for an S-Caliper. Stainless pistons are the trick. The corrosion in the bore "generally" isn't the problem it's the corrosion on the piston where it sits in the bore and rests against the seal (picture included)

A-Calipers don't look anything like an S-Caliper (it's twu, it's twu). Same pad surface area but not as deep as an S-Pad. This is such a common myth. They look like they're from different manufacturers. They look more like the BMW Calipers people are using than they do an S-Caliper.

M-Calipers were never (ever) used on 914's (post 73 or whatever), they were stock on 914-6's and 911T's though. And the bore is about 5mm larger than a 914-6 (me believes... I can confirm if desired)

Other than that "You're SPOT ON Clay" (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/w00t.gif)

John, what engine do you have? If it's a -4, I wouldn't go with anything larger than an M-Caliper. I have my reasons which I'll go into detail if you really want to know. Many, many BTDT experiences.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Jul 29 2005, 07:43 AM
Post #11

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jul 28 2005, 09:40 PM)
John, what engine do you have? If it's a -4, I wouldn't go with anything larger than an M-Caliper. I have my reasons which I'll go into detail if you really want to know. Many, many BTDT experiences.

Right now I have a 1.8 4 in the car but this will be replaced at some point with a 6 in the future. The plan right now is a nice 3.0 or 3.2. I will be upgrading the suspension and the brakes with that in mind, the engine will be the LAST big upgrade. I have the 5 bolt conversion kit for the rear comming from you and I just bought a 911 front suspension off a 77 with "A" capliers. I am thinking that going with Boxster monoblocks down the road would be the best solution... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Jul 30 2005, 09:08 AM
Post #12

PMB Performance

Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Based upon your future plans it sounds like you're on the right track. You're going to have a hard time getting the rears to work right now. Take out the P-Valve and put a T-Fitting in there for sure.

You're now into the "Rear Handbrake Black Hole". Enjoy, and sort your options. If'n I was you, I'd max out at Carrera brakes ala. Sir Andy. Proque? You go with the Monoblocks and you'll have to weld on a new ear on those shinny new control arms (that are "still" waiting for the bushings to arrive... I'm going to see if I can have them next-day air them... sorry). If you plan on big tires etc you'll still have enough stopping power to lock them up. I'll bet Andy's happy with his set-up. Ask.

I'll have a 200-220hp -6 in my GT with S-Calipers up front and 911 M-Calipers in the rear (T-Fitting). I'm using the 911 handbrake assembly. Same basic setup that came on a 76 930 (with 240hp and a similar 7 & 8 x 15 wheel/tire package)
+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Jul 30 2005, 01:29 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jul 30 2005, 10:08 AM)
I'll have a 200-220hp -6 in my GT with S-Calipers up front and 911 M-Calipers in the rear (T-Fitting). I'm using the 911 handbrake assembly. Same basic setup that came on a 76 930 (with 240hp and a similar 7 & 8 x 15 wheel/tire package)

Eric - No rush on the rears, so just send them out normally once you get them together.

Until I started looking into this upgrade I never thought you could have too much brake on a car.

Would the "stock" 914/6 brakes for the rear and the boxster monoblocks for the front be a workable package?

+Quote Post
DanT
post Jul 30 2005, 01:49 PM
Post #14

Going back to the Dark Side!

Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

I am interested in this thread since I am considering the 5 bolt set up and brake up grade.
I was thinking of a SC/Carrera front suspension with associated brakes.
Is is best to use a matching SC/Carrera rears for best balance? Not to mention ventilation?
Eric, Can you adapt your 5 bolt rear setups for a later style caliper and offset? Ears welded for 3.5 mounting spacing?
Is it preferred to just use the 914 rears or put the fronts on the rear?
I know, questions questions questions!
Thanks (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/hijacked.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Jul 30 2005, 02:31 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jul 30 2005, 09:08 AM)
Based upon your future plans it sounds like you're on the right track. You're going to have a hard time getting the rears to work right now. Take out the P-Valve and put a T-Fitting in there for sure.

You're now into the "Rear Handbrake Black Hole". Enjoy, and sort your options. If'n I was you, I'd max out at Carrera brakes ala. Sir Andy. Proque? You go with the Monoblocks and you'll have to weld on a new ear on those shinny new control arms (that are "still" waiting for the bushings to arrive... I'm going to see if I can have them next-day air them... sorry). If you plan on big tires etc you'll still have enough stopping power to lock them up. I'll bet Andy's happy with his set-up. Ask.

The boxster monoblocks use an adapter block available from Rich Johnson that will allow them to bolt to the existing tab on the trailing arm.

+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Jul 30 2005, 02:35 PM
Post #16

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

I've got A calipers and stock rears with vented rotors all the way around and racing pads....

Stops good, but no where near the stopping ability of ABS.... lol

I get one tire to lock up too soon... sucks....
+Quote Post
michel richard
post Jul 30 2005, 02:36 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 936

QUOTE (johnmhudson111 @ Jul 30 2005, 11:29 AM)

Would the "stock" 914/6 brakes for the rear and the boxster monoblocks for the front be a workable package?

And the problem with the stock 914/6 rears is that they are very very difficult to find. And there's apparently a couple or Ferrari models on which they fit . . . but I dunno if that's a big fator.
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jul 30 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #18

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 30 2005, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (Eric_Shea @ Jul 30 2005, 09:08 AM)
Based upon your future plans it sounds like you're on the right track.  You're going to have a hard time getting the rears to work right now.  Take out the P-Valve and put a T-Fitting in there for sure.

You're now into the "Rear Handbrake Black Hole".  Enjoy, and sort your options.  If'n I was you, I'd max out at Carrera brakes ala. Sir Andy.  Proque?  You go with the Monoblocks and you'll have to weld on a new ear on those shinny new control arms (that are "still" waiting for the bushings to arrive... I'm going to see if I can have them next-day air them... sorry).  If you plan on big tires etc you'll still have enough stopping power to lock them up.  I'll bet Andy's happy with his set-up.  Ask.

I'll have a 200-220hp -6 in my GT with S-Calipers up front and 911 M-Calipers in the rear (T-Fitting).  I'm using the 911 handbrake assembly. Same basic setup that came on a 76 930 (with 240hp and a similar 7 & 8 x 15 wheel/tire package)

The boxster monoblocks use an adapter block available from Rich Johnson that will allow them to bolt to the existing tab on the trailing arm.

one more correction to uncle clay's knowledge...

monoblocks from a boxster fit under 15" cookie cutters...... ive seen it (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
johnmhudson111
post Jul 30 2005, 02:38 PM
Post #19

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Jul 30 2005, 03:31 PM)

Clay, How can I get in touch with Rich? And which rotor do you have to use on the rear with the monoblocks?
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Jul 30 2005, 02:39 PM
Post #20

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

paragob products has the adapter / rotor / new calipers setup for ~900 or so....
+Quote Post

4 Pages V  1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th June 2024 - 09:40 AM