Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Car and Driver and 914
bkrantz
post Feb 15 2022, 06:47 PM
Post #1

914 Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I just saw this today, a mildly interesting piece in C&D comparing old and new Porsches, including a 914-6.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a3901...ions/?source=nl
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Shivers
post Feb 15 2022, 07:15 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

"It’s a challenge to find the gears at all given that the four-speed’s linkage does a Rube Goldberg-machine-like trip from the shifter to the 901 transmission (borrowed from the 911) that lives behind the engine. It takes a while to become even remotely proficient, and even then, it’s hard to imagine rowing it with anything resembling urgency. "

What a whiner...Real drivers drove them to victory in the 70's. Rowing them to the front and staying there. Four speed?
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Feb 15 2022, 10:10 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yeah Bob, they're whimps... been handling it fine for over 51 years, though I did convert the '71 to a side shifter in the late 80's. Luckily the '73 came with a side shifter!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 16 2022, 05:54 AM
Post #4

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Shivers @ Feb 15 2022, 08:15 PM) *

"It’s a challenge to find the gears at all given that the four-speed’s linkage does a Rube Goldberg-machine-like trip from the shifter to the 901 transmission (borrowed from the 911) that lives behind the engine. It takes a while to become even remotely proficient, and even then, it’s hard to imagine rowing it with anything resembling urgency. "

What a whiner...Real drivers drove them to victory in the 70's. Rowing them to the front and staying there. Four speed?

Jealous maybe? C&D must know of car #40?
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Feb 16 2022, 07:01 AM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740

After reading it, I wonder if the driver didn't know about the dog leg. I would never say there is a big gap between the gearing of 1 and 2 on a 914 transmission.
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 16 2022, 08:21 AM
Post #6

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Feb 16 2022, 08:01 AM) *

After reading it, I wonder if the driver didn't know about the dog leg. I would never say there is a big gap between the gearing of 1 and 2 on a 914 transmission.

I've also ridden along with many automotive jorunalists over the years at various media events. You'd be amazed how many aren't even remotely proficient with a stick shift.

You would also be appalled by how many magazines simply take the OEM stock press photos and bullet points and just recycle them into an article. No thought or real evaluation of the product required. Just attend the press event, stay in fancy hotel, eat nice meals, produce standard article.

I used to subscribe to them all:
Road & Track
Car & Driver
Automobile Magazine
Hot Rod
Car Kulture Deluxe (still pick this up in airports from time to time)
AutoWeek
Wards
SAE

I no longer subscribe to any of them. Not really missing much that I don't get via other internet sources and at least then I don't have to pay for all the unwanted commentary on social issues, climate change, and other isssues that don't have a place in auto mag's.

And of course - best money spent these days is a contribution to this site! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Lucky9146
post Feb 16 2022, 10:33 AM
Post #7

Always Wanted A Bigger Go Cart

Member No.: 17,942
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 16 2022, 06:21 AM) *

I've also ridden along with many automotive jorunalists over the years at various media events. You'd be amazed how many aren't even remotely proficient with a stick shift.

You would also be appalled by how many magazines simply take the OEM stock press photos and bullet points and just recycle them into an article. No thought or real evaluation of the product required. Just attend the press event, stay in fancy hotel, eat nice meals, produce standard article.

Road & Track
Car & Driver
Automobile Magazine
Hot Rod
AutoWeek
Wards
SAE

I no longer subscribe to any of them. Not really missing much that I don't get via other internet sources and at least then I don't have to pay for all the unwanted commentary on social issues, climate change, and other isssues that don't have a place in auto mag's.

And of course - best money spent these days is a contribution to this site! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah... what he said.... all of it!
Well almost all of it. I do have C & D because granddaughter was selling magazines. What would you do? You buy one of course, but it does not take long to get from mail box, a high level review, and on to recycle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif)
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 16 2022, 11:17 AM
Post #8

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The author clearly did not know about the shift pattern on the 914.

That said - especially if the bushing were worn - the shifter on a 914 isn't a crisp and intuitive experience. Hence why many of us have done whatever we can (side shifter conversions, ceramic spherical bearings, etc etc) to improve the shifter. It can be pretty tight, but a stock tail shifter with old bushings will be challenging for someone who is not familiar with the car or its shifter.

Zach
+Quote Post
emerygt350
post Feb 16 2022, 03:36 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 25,740

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 16 2022, 12:17 PM) *

That said - especially if the bushing were worn - the shifter on a 914 isn't a crisp and intuitive experience. Hence why many of us have done whatever we can (side shifter conversions, ceramic spherical bearings, etc etc) to improve the shifter. It can be pretty tight, but a stock tail shifter with old bushings will be challenging for someone who is not familiar with the car or its shifter.

Zach

We have this old diesel truck from the 80s at a research station I go to in the Caribbean. The transmission is just impossible but interestingly after a couple days you just become one with it and all is good. You need to let it shift when it wants to and go into the gear it wants to be in. Use the force Luke...
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Feb 16 2022, 03:52 PM
Post #10

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877

QUOTE(emerygt350 @ Feb 16 2022, 04:36 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Feb 16 2022, 12:17 PM) *

Zach

We have this old diesel truck from the 80s at a research station I go to in the Caribbean. The transmission is just impossible but interestingly after a couple days you just become one with it and all is good. You need to let it shift when it wants to and go into the gear it wants to be in. Use the force Luke...

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 16 2022, 04:55 PM
Post #11

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

"VW & Porsche" 1976 article on T4 turbo vs 930 turbo in the 1/4 mile. We went best out of 3, the 914 took all 3. My luck that day was; got good Tree + launch, and more luck was that 930 was a "Press car" and totally thrashed. Editor (the late) Jay Amestoy at the 930 helm. Oak Green metallic 930 wound up in private hands...then featured in " Excellence" later on. Black 914 wound up becoming my flat fan, biturbo six, also featured in "Excellence".
No trouble shifting the 901, and barely into 5th at the 1320'. Jay had his hands full of a 930 with an open wastegate fail...and got to see 914 tail lights (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 16 2022, 05:08 PM
Post #12

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

At the end of the Irwindale 1/4 mile, in the sandpit (same article). Jay became a 914 mid engine believer !
Miller/ Coors Brewery is on all of this acreage today; and the Irwindale dragstrip (new location) is a mini 1/8 mile track (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) B+W photo credit Steve Reyes.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bkrantz
post Feb 16 2022, 09:11 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 23,343
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Superhawk996 @ Feb 16 2022, 07:21 AM) *

Road & Track
Car & Driver
Automobile Magazine
Hot Rod
AutoWeek
Wards
SAE

Automobile is gone. R&T, C&D, and AW are merged into one lame excuse. Not sure about the others.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 17 2022, 09:14 AM
Post #14

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(bkrantz @ Feb 16 2022, 08:11 PM) *

Automobile is gone.

Yep, and the parent company shuttered something like 19 of its 22~ automotive titles in print in a single day.
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Feb 17 2022, 09:15 AM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 16 2022, 03:55 PM) *

"VW & Porsche" 1976 article on T4 turbo vs 930 turbo in the 1/4 mile. We went best out of 3, the 914 took all 3. My luck that day was; got good Tree + launch, and more luck was that 930 was a "Press car" and totally thrashed. Editor (the late) Jay Amestoy at the 930 helm. Oak Green metallic 930 wound up in private hands...then featured in " Excellence" later on. Black 914 wound up becoming my flat fan, biturbo six, also featured in "Excellence".
No trouble shifting the 901, and barely into 5th at the 1320'. Jay had his hands full of a 930 with an open wastegate fail...and got to see 914 tail lights (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image

^ Super cool memories, Marty!
+Quote Post
Superhawk996
post Feb 17 2022, 10:52 AM
Post #16

914 Guru

Member No.: 22,428
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Love the fake knockoffs on the 914 in the photos . . . I used to have them on my 1st teener. So 1980's, which of course was a throwback to the 60's sportscars.
+Quote Post
Ansbacher
post Feb 17 2022, 12:28 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 17,589

Comparisons like these in the article are exercises in futility. Comparing any pre-Boxter Porsche to any post-Boxter Porsche is apples to oranges. The technology and philosophy of the company is too great a difference between the eras.

Ansbacher
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 17 2022, 04:25 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Shivers @ Feb 15 2022, 07:15 PM) *

does the blue museum car have a 4 speed 901?

i've only seen one 914/6 with the 4 speed.
it originally belonged to the australian distributor as an assessment car.
the box was reputed to be factory installed new - had hill climb ratios - special order of a. hamilton.
i drove it once (more than 25 years ago).
my memory was the shift was beautiful. better than the dogleg 5.
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Feb 17 2022, 04:29 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(Maltese Falcon @ Feb 16 2022, 04:55 PM) *

Attached Image

are they star steelies with ornamental knock-offs?

+Quote Post
rgalla9146
post Feb 17 2022, 06:38 PM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,176

Biggest take away is C&D needs new writers
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 11:52 AM