Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> will ocean front property kill 914s, RUST
porbmw
post Sep 11 2022, 09:32 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,534
Region Association: None

So
We are trying to figure out a semi retirement plan, and have happened across a rather stunning ocean front property.

It faces west, at the tip of Vancouver Island, and has a couple of channels funneling onto a small beach

The plan is/was to buy the property, and in time build a nice, comfortable home WITH (finally) a sturdy, well insulated garage that would store the 2 teeners and some other old stuff, some of which is already rusted and patiently waiting resto

As we were about to leave the vacant property, we chatted with the next door owner, who built there within the last 2 years.
Apart from confirming that we would experience severe storms, he noted that his less than 2 year old aluminum/powder coated railings (for glass panels) were getting severely pitted, through the paint into the aluminum, as were his exterior lamps (i anticipated degredation, but NOT to the degree he showed
AND
he said that even metal stored in his insulated garage, at the rear of the property, well away from ocean spray, was rusting considerably.

No interest in buying, if old cars stored in an insulated (but likely unheated garage) will turn to rust/

Any experience/thoughts?
Thanks
Paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
dhuckabay
post Sep 11 2022, 10:05 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 24,379
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Took about 20 years for the salt in the air to rot all of the cast iron drain pipes in the house. I don't know of any way to protect from the airborne corrosion.
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Sep 11 2022, 10:52 PM
Post #3

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

Hey Paul,of course you know that rust never sleeps. I live 30 miles from Daytona Beach. Moved here from from Huntington Beach, Ca. 3 miles from the beach. Forty years there. Things in my roll-a-way rust much faster here than there. But the cars are holding up fine. I keep them warm and dry. Unless you're cars are in real trouble already they will probably out last you. I am sure mine will out last me. Just my opinion but I'm always looking for a folded teener to make a Bar-B-Q out of. Cooler in the front trunk grill in the back. One of my cars is an ongoing project and I may not see it completed as I am approaching 75, but I still keep trying to work on it everyday.
Do what ever keeps you going, don't let anything keep you from doing what you want. Nobody is going to appreciate your cars as much as you.
I turn the A/C on here more for the humidity than cooling.

Attached Image

Taco Tuesday is on my Bucket list.
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 12 2022, 08:33 AM
Post #4

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

My parents live very close to the Atlantic ocean (not on-water, but 1/4 mile away). They have heard of people having issues with some appliances and plumbing, but have not experienced it themselves. Same thing with car rust. My dad is convinced that their cars have faired so well because they have good paint and he has used cavity wax-type undercoating. I know that's not super helpful, but I will say that it hasn't deterred him from wanting to move his 911 up.
+Quote Post
sb914
post Sep 12 2022, 09:11 AM
Post #5

Surf Guru

Member No.: 15,191
Region Association: Southern California

I used to live 7 houses from the coast in so cal .
I had a guitar in a case under my bed for around ten years . When I opened the case I was stunned by all the rust. My ford van I bought new I had for twenty years parked on the street completely rusted out. My first 914 started to rust so I sold it before it got bad.
Yep all hardware on the house were pitting.
So what did I do ? Moved and bought a house on the Oregon coast.
Life’s a beach !
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Sep 12 2022, 09:47 AM
Post #6

Member No.: 10,509

This is a 2015 Honda that I bought new..
It was garaged every night and lives 6 houses
from the ocean on the front and 3 houses
to the side of a tidal inlet..
Commuter car that ran 100 miles a day
before my wife retired..

Attached Image

My 2008 Chevy Colorado rusted the frame through last Oct..
+Quote Post
DrinkMan
post Sep 12 2022, 03:47 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 20,872
Region Association: South East States

We keep our 914 at our coastal home. Directly on a salt marsh and less than 3 miles from the Atlantic Ocean. We installed a dehumidifier in the garage and keep it less then 50% humidity (prior to installing the dehumidifier, it was about 80%). In the last 2 years, all has been fine (I admit to checking a lot and being nervous about this).
+Quote Post
speedy914
post Sep 12 2022, 06:11 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 8,166

1 mile from the beach. Two 914's. Yes its a problem
Climate controlled garage is the key. Not difficult or expensive.
The split systems are cheap to buy and cheap to install.
Retiring at the beach is worth it.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Sep 13 2022, 06:41 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 11,639
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

The saying with teeners is that if you think your car is rust free, you simply have not looked very hard.

The 914 is probably one of the worst vehicles to keep near the ocean. Salt ions are carried through the air and will get into every crevice or hidden area. The bodies were never properly treated to prevent this. Things like brake lines can quickly be destroyed.

A friend of mine moved to the shore with a beautifully restored 1960s Cutlass. Despite being garaged, it literally rotted away over the course of 10 years, starting with lots of paint bubbles.

If living at the shore is the goal, do your 914 a favor and pass it along or sell it beforehand. The harsh reality is that you can't have it all.
+Quote Post
gandalf_025
post Sep 13 2022, 07:40 AM
Post #10

Member No.: 10,509

Slightly off topic..

But anyone looking to retire at the beach.

I got 2 things to say

AirBNB and VRBO..
They destroy neighborhoods..
Check how many weekly rentals are nearby
and be ready to have a new crowd of idiots
moving in next door all summer..
+Quote Post
dhuckabay
post Sep 13 2022, 09:01 AM
Post #11

Member No.: 24,379
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Amen

Live on a lake, 5 houses on my lane. Two are now short term rentals, PIA. Parking all over, beating up the roads. Some party people. Glad summer is over.

quote name='gandalf_025' date='Sep 13 2022, 06:40 AM' post='3029244']
Slightly off topic..

But anyone looking to retire at the beach.

I got 2 things to say

AirBNB and VRBO..
They destroy neighborhoods..
Check how many weekly rentals are nearby
and be ready to have a new crowd of idiots
moving in next door all summer..
[/quote]
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Sep 16 2022, 06:50 AM
Post #12

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435

Cars in beachfront locations rust. Period. End of story. Part of living near the ocean is dealing with corrosion. You can mitigate it somewhat with climate controlled garages, maintenance, etc. But they are stll going to rust faster then a place where there is not salt air.

Honestly I don't know if its any worse then the corrosion of living anywhere that salts the roads though. And that includes 1/3 of the country and over 1/2 the population....
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Sep 16 2022, 11:51 AM
Post #13

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 16 2022, 07:50 AM) *

Honestly I don't know if its any worse then the corrosion of living anywhere that salts the roads though. And that includes 1/3 of the country and over 1/2 the population....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

From what we've seen, regular salt road corrosion is just as bad. I guess your mileage varies relative to you garage design, environment on that particular piece of coast, etc.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 17 2022, 04:53 AM
Post #14

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

We get rust here from the cold and damp frost over the winter. You can store a car in a perfectly good garage. But unheated any bare metal with start the process. Both my garages now have in floor heat.
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Sep 18 2022, 05:10 AM
Post #15

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Sep 16 2022, 01:51 PM) *

QUOTE(VaccaRabite @ Sep 16 2022, 07:50 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

From what we've seen, regular salt road corrosion is just as bad. I guess your mileage varies relative to you garage design, environment on that particular piece of coast, etc.

Yes, but road salt is avoidable by not driving in winter. I doubt many people in the snow belt daily drive their 914 in winter.

Salt air will find your car when it is simply parked indoors or outside.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Sep 18 2022, 06:05 PM
Post #16

Custom Member

Member No.: 124

QUOTE(porbmw @ Sep 11 2022, 11:32 PM) *

So
We are trying to figure out a semi retirement plan, and have happened across a rather stunning ocean front property.

It faces west, at the tip of Vancouver Island, and has a couple of channels funneling onto a small beach

The plan is/was to buy the property, and in time build a nice, comfortable home WITH (finally) a sturdy, well insulated garage that would store the 2 teeners and some other old stuff, some of which is already rusted and patiently waiting resto

As we were about to leave the vacant property, we chatted with the next door owner, who built there within the last 2 years.
Apart from confirming that we would experience severe storms, he noted that his less than 2 year old aluminum/powder coated railings (for glass panels) were getting severely pitted, through the paint into the aluminum, as were his exterior lamps (i anticipated degredation, but NOT to the degree he showed
AND
he said that even metal stored in his insulated garage, at the rear of the property, well away from ocean spray, was rusting considerably.

No interest in buying, if old cars stored in an insulated (but likely unheated garage) will turn to rust/

Any experience/thoughts?
Thanks
Paul

You might want to factor in your age, and how long you can honestly get in and out of your 914, while still looking cool doing it.
As long as it lasts that long, go buy the house.
Do some dehumidifier in the garage and enjoy the time you have left to drive the car.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 19 2022, 02:41 AM
Post #17

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

This is the number 1 reason that my wife and I have not moved either of our old Porsches out to HI. We are about 100' above sea level here, maybe 1/4 mile as the crow flies? Everything corrodes here. Stainless, brass, chrome--it doesn't matter, it starts corroding in short order.

Similar reasons are why I won't bring my 60s posters here too. The climate will destroy them, and I really don't want to see that.

--DD
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Sep 19 2022, 04:24 AM
Post #18

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Not the Ocean but waking up to views like this never gets old. I would get a climate controlled garage with a hose and just keep the car clean and dry.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Amphicar770
post Sep 19 2022, 04:25 PM
Post #19

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 19 2022, 06:24 AM) *

Not the Ocean but waking up to views like this never gets old. I would get a climate controlled garage with a hose and just keep the car clean and dry.

Yes, it's all a trade off. You cant live in two worlds, nor can you take it with you in the end. Decide what's most important to you and let the rest go.
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Sep 19 2022, 06:30 PM
Post #20

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Sep 19 2022, 06:24 AM) *

Rick
Wow, Beautiful fresh water photo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Our Michigan Great Lakes Sunsets fresh water are beautiful (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
Tom

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 11:27 PM