Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> To Fuel Line or not ?, Replacing fuel lines?
76green
post Feb 3 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,411

I have tried read all the posts on replacing the fuel lines before I am posting this. I have been working on a 76 914/4 with FI that runs great ...I have replaced all the brakelines, master cylinder, calipers front and back. Tightened everything and cleaned all electrical connections. THe fuel hoses in the engine bay appear to have been replaced by the previous owner but I do not know about the ones in the center tunnel. I just want to drive the thing but then again I don't want it going up in flames! Is there a good post or can someone tell me how difficult it is to switch out the lines in the tunnel with the engine in? Or should I just drive it?!? I LOVE THIS site!...thanks for the help
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
tat2dphreak
post Feb 3 2006, 04:55 PM
Post #2

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

1)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welcome.png)

2)
Installing SS fuel lines

3) I don't think it's as common as it seems... you would probably be fine not replacing the fuel lines...

but then again, why risk it? you can do it in an afternoon or 2... or you can drive it a bit, and then do it... you can do it with the engine in if you jack the car up enough to give you some room to work... but the added difficulty won't save you much time... it was easy as pie with the engine out...
+Quote Post
736conver
post Feb 3 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736
Region Association: None

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/welcome.png)

If it were my car I would replace the lines. Why risk it. Its not that bad of a job and you should be able to get it done in a weekend, if not a couple of hours.

+Quote Post
jetboy
post Feb 5 2006, 01:41 PM
Post #4

914 Uber Noob

Member No.: 4,810
Region Association: Southern California

Instead of all that bending, has anyone replaced these lines with a steel braided line instead? Any issues? Of course pulling some wire through to help it route through would help, but, any other issues?
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 5 2006, 01:58 PM
Post #5

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

The great debate continues.... (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/popcorn[1].gif)

(I would not) (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/wink.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
swl
post Feb 5 2006, 04:08 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

OK Paul I'll bite. Other than cost, why not? One line from the fuel regulator to the tank. One line from the filter to the rail. Seems like a nice simple solution. You would have to do some overdrilling of holes and some interesting grommet work. Probably no easyier than doing the bending.

What other problems?

My uneducated opinion on the replace or not debate as a result of my own pondering: If your fuel pump is up front your are running pressurized fuel through plastic lines in the cabin. That's a scary place for a burst of brittle plastic. Most likely failure would be where it goes through the aft firewall - thats where the elements can get to the plastic/rubber (dunno what the late models look like.) Pretty close to the exhaust for my liking. Seems like a no brainer if the engine is out. With it in you just have to make a judgement based on what the plastic feels like.

I won't open the steel vrs aluminum debate again.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Feb 5 2006, 04:20 PM
Post #7

2270 club

Member No.: 218

QUOTE (swl @ Feb 5 2006, 03:08 PM)
My uneducated opinion on the replace or not debate as a result of my own pondering: If your fuel pump is up front your are running pressurized fuel through plastic lines in the cabin. That's a scary place for a burst of brittle plastic.

Has anyone ever seen brittle plastic fuel lines in the center tunnel???

I say leave them in unless they are defective. I think a lot of guys replace them "just because". The center tunnel lines are tough. I'd keep them. The ones to be most concerned about are the ones in the engine compartment.

+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 5 2006, 04:31 PM
Post #8

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

QUOTE (anthony @ Feb 5 2006, 04:20 PM)
My uneducated opinion on the replace or not debate as a result of my own pondering:  If your fuel pump is up front your are running pressurized fuel through plastic lines in the cabin.  That's a scary place for a burst of brittle plastic.

I say leave them in unless they are defective. I think a lot of guys replace them "just because". The center tunnel lines are tough. I'd keep them. The ones to be most concerned about are the ones in the engine compartment.

mine are still good, but i dont think they're OE ones.

b
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Feb 5 2006, 04:32 PM
Post #9

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

The failure that burned Betty's car so badly that the windshield fell in from the heat was determined by the fire marshall to be a defective fuel line where they make the turn from the tunnel to follow the front of the engine compartment.

I will not own another 914 that has not had the plastic POS fuel lines replaced.

Cap'n Crusty hates SS brake lines. I hate the plastic fuel lines. I have experience to prove to me that they are dangerous.

(getting down off my soapbox now)
+Quote Post
swl
post Feb 5 2006, 04:33 PM
Post #10

mine are out and no they are not at all brittle - normal caveat - YMMV largely dependant on air quality conditions. There have be posts in the past where failure in the engine compartment or below have been reported.

I do agree with you Anthony - it is a 'just in case' type of thing. For me the worry zone is from the output of the fuel pump to the input of the pressure regulator. The rest of the stuff is not a problem.

Getting them in and out is not a big thing. Just make sure you get you get them out of the the tabs. I found I had to remove the shifter to do that.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 5 2006, 04:37 PM
Post #11

****************************************************************************************************

QUOTE (anthony @ Feb 5 2006, 02:20 PM)
My uneducated opinion on the replace or not debate as a result of my own pondering:  If your fuel pump is up front your are running pressurized fuel through plastic lines in the cabin.  That's a scary place for a burst of brittle plastic.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/agree.gif) You got it right!!!

When I took my stock plastic lines out I put them in the vise and squeezed them all the way down. Ya know what? They didn't crack or break.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

Why make more work for yourself if it not needed?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
swl
post Feb 5 2006, 04:41 PM
Post #12

please tell me you didn't put that back in the car (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
bd1308
post Feb 5 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #13

Sir Post-a-lot

Member No.: 3,501

well Clay, I would do teh SS in a heart beat, because I have heard about your fire...

but SS doesnt take well to flexing...and I think I could mess up the install....

b
+Quote Post
URY914
post Feb 5 2006, 04:46 PM
Post #14

QUOTE (swl @ Feb 5 2006, 02:41 PM)
please tell me you didn't put that back in the car (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif)

No, I used a single aluminum line.

And BTW don't anyone say anything about aluminum and metal touching and electrolsis (sp). That would about 20 years and I dont see it as a problem.
+Quote Post
swl
post Feb 5 2006, 04:49 PM
Post #15

Figured you would - it's lighter!
+Quote Post
swl
post Feb 5 2006, 04:53 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (URY914 @ Feb 5 2006, 02:46 PM)
And BTW don't anyone say anything about aluminum and metal touching and electrolsis (sp). That would about 20 years and I dont see it as a problem.

That sounds about right. My aluminum threshold covers where pretty much eaten through from the back. The steel underneath was in great shape though :-)

I couldn't possibly imagine an aluminum fuel line getting enough conductive contact with steel to be a problem even in 20 years.
+Quote Post
anthony
post Feb 5 2006, 05:09 PM
Post #17

2270 club

Member No.: 218

QUOTE (ClayPerrine @ Feb 5 2006, 03:32 PM)
The failure that burned Betty's car so badly that the windshield fell in from the heat was determined by the fire marshall to be a defective fuel line where they make the turn from the tunnel to follow the front of the engine compartment. You'd think the evidence would have been burned away.

I'm really curious how the fire marshall determined this on a car that was burned so badly.
+Quote Post
Trekkor
post Feb 5 2006, 07:56 PM
Post #18

I do things...

Member No.: 1,413
Region Association: Northern California

I am running -6 SS braided line.
I used the old line as a fish tape.

What, did it take about 1/2 hour?
Single line for Webers.

KT
+Quote Post
gregrobbins
post Feb 5 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #19

Member: Team NARP

Member No.: 1,844
Region Association: Southwest Region

My mechanic is suggesing to replace with copper covered at contact points with rubber hose. Says they do it all the time on VWs with no problem.

Any comments?
+Quote Post
yarin
post Feb 6 2006, 03:05 PM
Post #20

'14-X'in FOOL

Member No.: 693
Region Association: North East States

Is that 914club procedure for front a front mount fuel pump?

I want to change my fuel lines as well. I was going to follow the Pelican fuel line replacement how to. Any objections to that?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 09:13 AM