Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> used car buyers BEWARE, My yearly PSA
scotty b
post Dec 21 2007, 08:00 PM
Post #1

rust free you say ?

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Long story short, I do a fair amount of light collision werk for a local used car lot. VERY reputable guys who usually deal in Mercedes Audis etc. They bought this 2003 Toyota Tacoma at an auction house in Pa. shipped it to Va and sold it. The new owner goes to get the oil changed and when the lift contacted the frame a chunk of " something " popped off to reveal a hole. I first proceed to look at that hole and eyeball the frame as a whole and noticed ALOT of odd shaped areas, as well as NO welds. These frame are nothing more than stamped C channels lap welded together so the welds are quite obvious. After the initial hole was opened up I proceeded to take a hammer to the rest of the frame. The holes were coverd with aluminum tape, bondo'd over then undercoated.The pictures will complete the rest of the story. BTW truck only has 51,000 miles on it. And yes there will be a lawsuit either towards the auction house or the dealer who ran it through there.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
scotty b
post Dec 21 2007, 08:03 PM
Post #2

rust free you say ?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Note in on pic the worst area is right where the spring mount is. PLEASE look over ANY used car carefully and if you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself pay someone with experience to do it for you. It could save your life !

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Beamer13
post Dec 21 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,308
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Wow!!! That's nuts!!! Guess that truck was in a flood, eh???
+Quote Post
hwgunner
post Dec 21 2007, 08:12 PM
Post #4

914 Parts @ Discount Prices 800.321.5432

Member No.: 3,095

How does something like that happen to a newer car. i know how the "repair" was done but how does a 2003 Tacoma end up looking like that. I have an 03 tundra and have been under evry 3000 miles for the last 152,000 miles and mine showes no rust at all and this is a construction work truck. Was this at the bottom of a lake for a ling time or was it in a flood?? What does carfax say about this particular vehicle?

+Quote Post
jimtab
post Dec 21 2007, 08:17 PM
Post #5

Advanced Member

Member No.: 91
Region Association: Northern California

When was Katrina again......?????
+Quote Post
Allan
post Dec 21 2007, 08:22 PM
Post #6

Teenerless Weenie

Member No.: 2,304
Region Association: Southern California

Rust??? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
mel reckling
post Dec 21 2007, 08:35 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 8,385

That is quite amazing. Toyota should be thrown in front of the bus for building a product that looks like that in 4 years.

I sold Toyotas for nearly 10 years from 79-89 and although this truck here has nothing to do with some of what I've seen, they screwed the customers for years.

From the early 70s Toyota was skirting an import tariff of 25% by bringing truck chassis without beds into the U.S. and that allowed them to be taxed as an unassembled vehicle at a rate of 4%(same as parts). They built a bed assembly plant in California(Long Beach, I believe) and shipped the beds to the various ports of entry around the U.S. You could go to any port and see thousands and thousands sitting out in the open in the salt air waiting for chassis. Since they did body changes every 4 years, there was little need to turn them over quickly. I'm sure the notoriously short life of their beds was influenced by this.

The tax law was changed in 1980 and our trucks went up $800 in a single day when they were only around $5,000. They didn't stop doing the process they had started. My 85 SR5 had a perfect driver's side frame and a gone-like-your-pictures curbside in 10 yrs. and had to do the bed after 4 years.

There is a possibility this truck could have spent some time under water, but the brake lines look surprisingly good in comparison with the other metal. Lots of hurricane vehicles around that time, my neighbor got a limited edition Toyota truck out of Florida that was mashed up really bad from trees and rolled over.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 21 2007, 08:43 PM
Post #8

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(jimtab @ Dec 21 2007, 06:17 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

looks like saltwater damage ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
mel reckling
post Dec 21 2007, 08:51 PM
Post #9

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 21 2007, 06:43 PM) *

QUOTE(jimtab @ Dec 21 2007, 06:17 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

looks like saltwater damage ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif) Andy

I think it was 2005.
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 21 2007, 08:53 PM
Post #10

rust free you say ?

Yeah, I would guess a flood car that was never issued a salvage title. The other possibilty is road salt being that it came dwon here from Pa. BUT I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe road salt did that to a 4 year old car with only 51,000 miles (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) I pushed snow for a couple winters in my Suburban, and can verify the salt does a lot of damage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 21 2007, 09:15 PM
Post #11

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I had a 1987 Carrera, got it cheap, I knew it had been wrecked,
Parted it out, and found this,
Very nice sculpture work on the entire floorboard , looked arrow straight at first glance. Notice the crumpled section filled with foam then bodo , and a nice coating of undercoat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) Scary

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Beamer13
post Dec 21 2007, 09:16 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 8,308
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Come on now, I've lived in Wisconsin my entire life, thus am used to driving in snow, salt, sand, etc... Not in 3-4 years!!! I have never had a vehicle that new, and have not had that kind of damage.. (914 doesn't count due to battery issue in hell hole) That is unless the truck was strictly used to push a salt pile with a plow every day for the 3-4 years :-)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Dec 22 2007, 01:38 AM
Post #13

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

That is common. Folks form one state get vehicles that were damaged (Katrina) and sell them at auction in another state after prettying them up. Pure BS. That is some shady stuff there, though.
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Dec 22 2007, 09:43 AM
Post #14

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

a carfax on that truck might be interesting. salvage title laws must vary from state to state. my mom's car was involved (i was driving at the time) in a minor mishap in nov. the damage was confined to fender/wheel well area just aft of the pass side rear tire. in no way does the damage affect the operation of her car. the repair est to her 165k 85' cougar exceeded the fair market value, resulting in the car being totaled by the insurance co. the total was reported to the state, registration was canceled, and my mom had to apply for a new title which will state "SALVAGE" on it. the adjusters at Farmer's Ins (the at fault party's co) did not enjoy dealing with me. 4 words they hate. washington state insurance commissioner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

k
+Quote Post
Gint
post Dec 22 2007, 09:48 AM
Post #15

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It's gotta be a katrina truck. Lots of that going on a year or more ago.
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 22 2007, 11:45 AM
Post #16

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

That appears to be a plan and simple case of covering up the rust areas. I am suprised the tape even stayed on.
Seems like an inspection of the underside would have given some indication of a problem.
Buyer:"yes your honor we did inspect the truck. It was real purty and shiny, big tires and a great stereo. It went fast too.
Judge:Did you inspect the underside of the truck or have a Pre Purchase Inspection before you bought the truck.
Buyer: DUH No.
Judge: Case dismissed.
CCL
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Dec 22 2007, 03:15 PM
Post #17

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

I agree that the frame damage is severe, but I have seen two year old cars in Michigan with rust bubbles, those who have never lived in the real rust belt, have no idea how hard it is on cars. Cars have gotten better over the years with plating, ect, but if you drive your car year round in MI ect it will rust, and never be the same.

There was a pic floating around not long ago, of a blue toyota that broke in half when it was lifted up at the dealer.

If you do a search for "toyota" and "frame rust" or "frame broken" it's not as uncommon as you would think.

PPI on any car, even a pinto (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
Ferg
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Dec 22 2007, 03:47 PM
Post #18

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Or a Merkur (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
Katrina cars are very easy to tell , all of the lights have water lines in them and all of the trim screws are rusty. I saw some at the insurance auction before the warnings went out to the Auction and Insurance companies.
CCL
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Dec 22 2007, 03:56 PM
Post #19

rust free you say ?

I'm a little more suspect of the truck having lived near the beach and being in a low level ocean flood. N.C. coast is famous for these when smaller hurricanes hit. Sea will rise enough to invade the frame, but not high enough to get inside. IF it were a Katrina flood car the whole interior would have had to been replaced or at the very least power washed ALOT to have kept it from stinking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) Either way it is total bullshit for a human being to do something so deceptive IMHO. Unfortunately this is the werld we live in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
mel reckling
post Dec 22 2007, 04:09 PM
Post #20

Flood cars also usually have a smell about them, a really bad smell especially from salt water.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 07:38 AM