Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> SEMA alert for CA smog..., fyi
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 8 2008, 11:54 AM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,058
Region Association: None

http://echo.bluehornet.com/hostedemail/ema...2305024AA0EEA25

Anybody go to the hearing or hear about the results?

pete
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
ConeDodger
post Apr 8 2008, 12:00 PM
Post #2

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 8 2008, 10:54 AM) *

http://echo.bluehornet.com/hostedemail/ema...2305024AA0EEA25

Anybody go to the hearing or hear about the results?

pete

Pete,
I didn't hear about this until after the hearing. Otherwise I could have gone. It's just down the block and around the corner.
I suppose a call to the Senator's office???
+Quote Post
horizontally-opposed
post Apr 8 2008, 12:11 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,058

I know, I only got wind of it yesterday... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

If this goes, it would be VERY bad for a lot of us and our cars as a matter of precedent. Things like easy six conversions and trick Type IVs will non longer be viable. It also makes one question the wisdom of doing anything with these cars' powerplants unless it can be made to be smog legal. Of course, I suspect a Raby Type IV would actually run cleaner than a tired stocker, and maybe cleaner than a good stocker. But our government, in all its brilliance, would fail it on a visual.

pete
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Apr 8 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #4

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Isn't Florez the same bone-head that wrote the legislation that did away with the 30 year rolling exemption? Isn't there anything else he can do to make a name for himself? The amount of pre 76 cars is so small, they can't be contributing that much to contaminate the air.
Elliot
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 8 2008, 12:42 PM
Post #5

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

There is a reason why our development has made a 180* change recently...

I am now working with development of engines that mix MPG/efficiency and clean running into a less powerful, but adequate package for tomorrow.

Things like high MPG, clean running and Ethanol compliance are the key- else we'll be out of business like everyone else that isn't looking forward to tomorrow, onlu being concerned with performance today.

I don;t like the changes, but we'll have to do something, else I'll have to get a job someday...
+Quote Post
Justinp71
post Apr 8 2008, 12:54 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 2,922

The main reason that the last one past was b/c they attached a change for newer cars. They put in the same bill that new cars can go 6 years w/o being smogged. I believe that that is even worse, gives incentive for people buying new cars to do whatever they want and get 6 years until they have to worry about it.

Anyways... I think that unless they attach something stupid to this bill like the last one it won't pass also there are alot more people that would be affected with this bill than the last one. Maybe we should minimize using our older cars until this goes away.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
+Quote Post
Brando
post Apr 8 2008, 01:22 PM
Post #7

BUY MY SPARE KIDNEY!!!

Member No.: 2,648
Region Association: Southern California

ugh... Just heard about this as well... What a crock of shit. I'm e-mailing all of those reps as soon as I get home.

How about they repeal some bullshit tax laws and become worth their weight.

Stuff like this needs to be a separate bill (not earmarked with others like child-safety provisions or budget increases for public service departments) and shot down on the public ballot.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Apr 8 2008, 01:24 PM
Post #8

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

There is no letter you can write to an idiot politico, in any numbers, that will change their direction. Their incentive is money in their pockets, not our welfare. All you need to find out is who is funding / paying him and up the anty ... money talks, bullshit and common sense walk.

+Quote Post
jgara962
post Apr 8 2008, 02:52 PM
Post #9

Yo, this is how I roll

Member No.: 3,879

I just sent a letter. It may not do anything, but it's at least better than sitting around here bitching about it.
+Quote Post
orange914
post Apr 8 2008, 03:27 PM
Post #10

http://5starmediaworks.com/index.html

Member No.: 3,818

QUOTE(jgara962 @ Apr 8 2008, 01:52 PM) *

I just sent a letter. It may not do anything, but it's at least better than sitting around here bitching about it.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) it's (IMG:style_emoticons/default/screwy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif) but we all need to at least e-mail your senator. the bills with no opposition are easy and sail right past. i'm not overly optomistic about how much of a differance it'll make, but at least you can get the satisfaction of being a burr in there ass. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

makes me mad that big pollution producing business can simply buy cedits, continue their dirty business and get away with a MAJOR part of the problem. and they find polical footing attacking the FEW, rarely used, pre-75 vehicles (most cleaner burning than when new). face it the smokin', chokin' pre 75 maveric is long gone... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

do the world a favor (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) ... hang a polititian (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bootyshake.gif)

+Quote Post
r_towle
post Apr 8 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #11

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

CA should be talking to GM, Ford and Dodge to start thinking about overall output of emmissions, not old cars.

If history has taught us anything, the big three need to remember the 70's. this Era and that Gas crisis is what allowed the foreign car makers, specifically the japanese companies, to gain a foothold in the US market.

What is with these guys...start making cars that compete...start making less trucks...geez.

Oh, and Jake, good to hear you finally looking at MPG...lol
You once told me that no one would want that...but here we are looking at $4 bucks per gallon this summer.
It seems that 50MPG should be your target...AIm high.
Rich
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Apr 8 2008, 05:31 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,782

I think its a major headache to most old car buffs, who knows what the percentage of pollution old cars emit? I know one of ours puts out maybe 30 times a new car does, but thats just a guess.
I held a Ca. Smog license, along with the L1 CRT so even tho I have a V-8 car I'm not worried about getting things to conform, just a pain in the ass..
I would have to have two engines bla bla bla.
Lets all cross our fingers~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
+Quote Post
jgara962
post Apr 8 2008, 08:08 PM
Post #13

Yo, this is how I roll

Member No.: 3,879

I think it would be interesting to find out how many pre 1976 cars are even registered in the state of California and what percentage that is of all vehicles. Like I said in another post, how often do you see a pre '76 car on the road?
+Quote Post
porschecb
post Apr 8 2008, 08:57 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,529

It will never fly! Ca. Doe's most (all) state wide! This jerk got pissed off by somebody local thats why he is only doing is area! Forget about it.

+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Apr 8 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #15

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Rich, I have had a 51 MPG engine for 2 years now... But creating it has not been economically feasible. Len and I started the MPG development back in 2004 and it has been ongoing (slowly) since then.

I still stand by my statement that even at 51 MPG a MAJORITY of the people here on these boards would still not drive their 914 daily and give up the BS modern creature comforts that they are spoiled by. I state this even with the 4 buck per gallon gas prices that are forecasted because people will just keep driving their "safe" (BS) SUVs and slapping their rug rats in the back shoving a DVD in the player and letting the brats be further spoiled... They'll worry about the gas prices when they max out another credit card thats being used for buying all that gas- they don't care about it today and probably won't for a few months/ years.

What we are shooting for now is emissions and ethanol compliance....

Like I have said many times, give me even 20 people who want a 45-50 MPG 914 for everyday use and I'll create a package. I think you'll have a very difficult finding them.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Apr 8 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #16

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 8 2008, 09:35 PM) *

Like I have said many times, give me even 20 people who want a 45-50 MPG 914 for everyday use and I'll create a package. I think you'll have a very difficult finding them.

How much is the kit? And is it a little spunkier than a stock 2.0? my stock 2.0 w/F.I. was just right for toolin' around town in, running errands and such, and still had a little bit of a 'fun' factor.
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Apr 8 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #17

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Apr 8 2008, 09:35 PM) *

What we are shooting for now is emissions and ethanol compliance....

With the ethanol compliance, are you able to get more hp and higher compression ratios? I was reading an article somewhere on a Rotrex blower setup where they were able to add boost, have lower temperatures, and higher compression than normal because of using ethanol... (IIRC)

Personally, i think aircooled an ethanol should go quite nicely together.
+Quote Post
drive-ability
post Apr 8 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 3,782

I live in So Ca and own a 76 Fiat X19, when I drive it I have to run it at 90% from light to light to keep from being run over. People own cars that can get 30 plus mpg but drive them like top fuelers. You can engineer an efficient car but put a person behind the wheel and everything goes to hell.
My neighbors has a Prius the wife gets 50 plus and her husband gets 20 mpg go figure..
+Quote Post
PRS914-6
post Apr 9 2008, 02:53 AM
Post #19

Excellence Magazine Project 914 3.6

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 6,031

Looks like it would affect a newly registered purchase the way it's worded. You might have to go buy and register every toy you way want for the rest of your life before it became law.

Would make all the same toys\conversions worthless in the future since nobody would buy it if it couldn't be registered\smogged....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
+Quote Post
johannes
post Apr 9 2008, 03:11 AM
Post #20

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

Look at this

(IMG:http://www.csmonitor.com/2005/0826/csmimg/p10b.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 04:03 AM