Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 Journey to the Concours, Project: 1974 914 2.0L LE Bumblebee
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 3 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #1

914 Wiring Harnesses

Group: Members
Member No.: 104
Region Association: None

Because it handles so well out of the box, most 914 owners want a 914 so they can tinker with it, race it, and modify it so that it is ‘better’ than the factory ever envisioned, to whatever their definition of ‘better’ is from their perspective. We have seen so many great things on the internet about the 914 lately, on this website and others. It is exciting to see the interest in the car thrive and I am glad to be a part of it.

As much as I appreciate and admire the modified cars and the tremendous efforts put into them, I really like the stock, factory original cars the most. I don’t know if it’s the nostalgia or what, but to see and be near a 914 that looks, feels and smells like it just rolled off the assembly line 30 years ago is an exciting event for me. So many have been modified, and so few are original. I don’t know if I ever will be able to have a 914 that is a contender in a Concours event, but I think it would be fun to try. This continuing saga will be my online chronicle of the effort. I prefer to use photos so I will attempt to include lots of them as I go. To anyone who doesn’t share my enthusiasm for original cars or stock restorations, I hope you will still appreciate and encourage my journey. One great thing about these cars is that they are intriguing on more than one level and this project is about preserving originality for us, and future generations, to enjoy. But I still will drive it to enjoy its best attributes…

Here are a few detail shots of my car VIN 14536, the object of this thread, that I recently sent to Otto, to assist him in the restoration of his 914 LE Bumblebee VIN 14700:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 3 2004, 02:31 PM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

sadef

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 3 2004, 02:32 PM
Post #3

914 Wiring Harnesses

fgyj

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
Post #4

914 Wiring Harnesses

ghj

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
Post #5

914 Wiring Harnesses

gyil

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 3 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #6

914 Wiring Harnesses

PREFACE

In September 2002, I bought a 1974 914 Limited Edition Bumblebee car, VIN 15176 on a whim. It was the fourth of six 914’s that I’ve owned, but the first 914 LE. It was exceptionally well-cared for and in great condition, and I intended to do a first class restoration to make it the car I dreamed of, but I didn’t know much about the 914 LE cars at that time, so I spent a year and a half just gathering information and doing research.

The wealth of information I have learned about the 914 LE cars is on my 914CanAm webpage at the link in my signature block below, which is regularly updated as new information or 914 LE cars are located. What an experience it has been, and I am still learning more every day about these great cars. With help from a team of other 914 LE enthusiasts along the way, we have located almost 120 914 Limited Editions from the USA, Canada, Germany and even one in Japan. There were only approximately 1000 914 LE cars ever made and they were the factory’s official commemoration of Porsches’ successes in the CanAm racing series in the early 1970’s. They are even more rare than most 914/6 cars.

Here is VIN 15176:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Joe Bob
post Feb 3 2004, 04:14 PM
Post #7

Retired admin, banned a few times

Member No.: 5

I'm not a CW guy but can appreciate a nice driver....I HATE coccoon models with 15 miles on the clock.

Good luck and drive it.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Feb 3 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #8

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248

Having spent some time actually behind the wheel of a moving 914, I'm second guessing my choice of building a GT look track car. This car is too far gone to bring back to stock look, but I would love a nice CW-ish 914. While I'd still prefer a /6, I have a great appreciation of the LE cars too.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Feb 3 2004, 08:50 PM
Post #9

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Nice going Jeff. CW point, but on later 911s the bottom of the crest points to the valve stem. I know, stupid knit.

Its a tough comparison between a stock 914 and a track prepared car. Different cars, different uses, different qualities. Driving a fully stock 914 is an aesthetic pleasure and a well engineered one. I love driving my stock 914 over the 911 around town. There's more for the senses to appreciate.
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Feb 3 2004, 09:05 PM
Post #10

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

Way to go Jeff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I would like a near concours 914 as well, but for now, a slightly modified one will have to do.......

I only have two issues with a bone stock 914

1) Front end is too high

2) Front wheels sit too far inboard, they need at least 1/2" spacer to properly fill in the wheel well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Now get out there and start collecting trophys...........
+Quote Post
anthony
post Feb 3 2004, 09:09 PM
Post #11

2270 club

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 218

If you are going to enter the car in a concours, the Diablo region charity "Wash 'n Shine" is a fun event. I've done it the last two years. For me it's a great excuse to spend some quality time really detailing the car. Even though it's not a full concours it does give you a good idea of what judges are looking for. They also only judge the exterior of the car and not behind the wheels or the engine compartment.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Feb 3 2004, 09:12 PM
Post #12

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I do like a concours 914 as they take me back to when they were new and I was young.

I prefer to drive them though, as they are just too much fun to have sit around.

Nice pics Jeff, and I'll follow your journey gladly via the web.

Geoff
+Quote Post
DNHunt
post Feb 4 2004, 07:11 AM
Post #13

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Member No.: 598

I think what you are doing is great. If life was really good (I won the lottery). I'd keep this 4, add a six and have a really clean original car. Oh ya, I'd build a new garage to put them in too.

I can remember seeing LE's on the street and thinking I didn't care for them much, just too bold. But, they grow on you and given the right opportunity (the lottery) I'd take a run at one.

We really should thank you for keeping this part of the 914 history alive for all of us to enjoy.

Dave
+Quote Post
william harris
post Feb 4 2004, 07:22 AM
Post #14

914 Restorer

Member No.: 1,539

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) I'm with you Jeff in that my goal is to have a very stock appearing 914 that will be street driven. Many years ago I owned a number of 65, 66 and 67 Corvette Stingrays. I wanted my cars to be correct - but driven hard (hell I even autocrossed a near concours 67). I never understood the NCRS (National Corvette Restorer Society) hardcore who would make sure every clamp and bolt was correct and never drive their cars. I saw 427 tripowers on the judging field that barely could crank up and drive out of the trailer to the judging area. What a waste. My kind of guy is the one in the most recent edition of Excellence who restored the 1965 356 purchased new by his uncle (and stored for 23 years) and then after the concours drove the car 400 miles to show it to his uncle. I look forward to your progress and will follow this thread.
+Quote Post
maf914
post Feb 4 2004, 07:41 AM
Post #15

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632

Way to go, Jeff. Stock is cool.

A co-worker of mine drives an early VW Beetle, a 66 I think, that he bought new and has kept stock. It's been repainted in the original silver. It's great looking.

I like modified cars as well, but see nothing at all wrong with a stock car. (No, not NASCAR!)

Mike
+Quote Post
Kargeek
post Feb 4 2004, 08:25 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 430

The LE car is rare and worth preserving. It takes a lot of work to produce a concours car- and keeping it in that condition can become an obsession. I have attended a number of PCA club events and it’s entertaining to see the extremes that people go through to keep their cars “perfect for the judges”. How about trailering the car in (of course in an enclosed trailer) with tee shirts stretched over the tires to keep the grass and dirt off them! Now, if you don’t want to go through all of the headaches – there is always the “preservation class”- for survivors of the breed. DH
+Quote Post
krk
post Feb 4 2004, 09:25 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 22

Jeff,

I know we've talked previously about the architectural digs these cars are. In many ways, I am quite envious of you for the adventure you are engaging in. (wary too -- I have a multi year eichler restoration under way.... sheesh... don't take advice from me!) But I love the level of detail you are tracking, and even more, publishing of that detail on your site. It is a service that can't be appreciated enough (!) -- so my hat's off! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/clap56.gif)

kim.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Feb 4 2004, 09:39 PM
Post #18

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(bowlsby @ Feb 3 2004, 12:31 PM)
Here are a few detail shots of my car VIN 14536, the object of this thread, that I recently sent to Otto, to assist him in the restoration of his 914 LE Bumblebee VIN 14700:

don't let him polish the wheels !

(Otto joke. a few will get it / remember it...)
+Quote Post
JeffBowlsby
post Feb 5 2004, 12:06 AM
Post #19

914 Wiring Harnesses

Thanks for the great comments everyone, I appreciate your support and enthusiasm for this project. I'll take all your comments and incorporate them as they fit the need.

Anthony-I'll be sure to check into the Diablo event

Rob - Yup I know about the wheel crest orientation...they bug me too, I just havent changed them yet... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Did you see they are Rusnak Dealer crests?... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)

Kargeek - While I may be committed to this project...I am not about to get a climate-controlled trailer and go to the extremes I have heard some go to. Its just frankly not that important to me. I am going to have fun cleaning it up and making it as good as I can without extreme effort. And this car will be driven and driven regularly...well maybe just not in the rain... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post
rhodyguy
post Feb 5 2004, 08:22 AM
Post #20

Chimp Sanctuary NW. Check it out.

Member No.: 378
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

i disagree with the not driving in the rain. atleast with my car. it's the parking in the rain i dislike. having a 914 in washington and not allowing it to get wet will result in a car that does not get driven much, like fair weather motorcyle riders and boaters. i look forward to your progress.

kevin
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 05:10 AM