Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Anybody hear about Pontiac?
dbgriffith75
post Apr 28 2009, 04:36 PM
Post #1

TheGrif

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

There wasn't a lot of detailed discussion about it, but on the morning talk show they were saying that by this time next year, GM will have discontinued production of the Pontiac brand.

Just wondering if anybody else heard about this?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
Todd Enlund
post Apr 28 2009, 04:53 PM
Post #2

Resident Photoshop Guru

Member No.: 8,032
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Apr 28 2009, 03:36 PM) *

There wasn't a lot of detailed discussion about it, but on the morning talk show they were saying that by this time next year, GM will have discontinued production of the Pontiac brand.

Just wondering if anybody else heard about this?

I heard Saturn and Saab as well.
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Apr 28 2009, 05:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104
Region Association: None

Yes, andlast I heard the Saturn dealers were trying to come up with $ to buy the brand.
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 28 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #4

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

I thought this list was made up of "CAR GUYS"! It's been all over the news, the papers, and the internet. Try Autoweek online, autoextremist.com, the LA Times online, and thousands of other sources. Big stories, photos of favorite muscle cars, and much more, all in great detail. BTW, it was announced yesterday. Saturn and SAAB have been "old news" for months.

Go here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/uptospeed/...obituaries.html

The Cap'n
+Quote Post
smontanaro
post Apr 28 2009, 05:36 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 4,197

QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Apr 28 2009, 06:03 PM) *

I thought this list was made up of "CAR GUYS"! It's been all over the news, the papers, and the internet. Try Autoweek online, autoextremist.com, the LA Times online, and thousands of other sources.

Hell, try CNBC! (I work for a trading firm and have a TV blasting CNBC right above my head all day long...)

Skip

+Quote Post
RJMII
post Apr 28 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #6

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

I heard a rumor that DeSoto is going under also... What next, Plymouth???
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Apr 28 2009, 06:34 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

GM is going to be a mere shell of itself very soon. They will probably end up filing chapter 11 bankruptcy and will shed more than just Pontiac,Saturn,Hummer and Saab. I bet GMC and maybe Buick will be gone. At least 1000 - 1200 dealerships will close or be forced to sell other brands. While it can be said management really screwed up GM it's the every day line workers that will suffer. It's sad. Hopefully in the end they come out as a viable business with a plan for the future. Chryslers not far behind.
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post Apr 28 2009, 06:41 PM
Post #8

TheGrif

I thought this list was made up of "CAR GUYS"! It's been all over the news, the papers, and the internet. Try Autoweek online, autoextremist.com, the LA Times online, and thousands of other sources. Big stories, photos of favorite muscle cars, and much more, all in great detail. BTW, it was announced yesterday. Saturn and SAAB have been "old news" for months.

Go here: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/uptospeed/...obituaries.html

The Cap'n

QUOTE(smontanaro @ Apr 28 2009, 06:36 PM) *

I thought this list was made up of "CAR GUYS"! It's been all over the news, the papers, and the internet. Try Autoweek online, autoextremist.com, the LA Times online, and thousands of other sources.

Hell, try CNBC! (I work for a trading firm and have a TV blasting CNBC right above my head all day long...)

Skip

I generally don't give a damn about "news." Usually in the Des Moines area a "headlining story" on the news is about how the county keeps bitching about wanting a new courthouse or- and I'm not bullshitting here- the new set up and design of the Channel 8 studios. They actually opened a program with the new design of their studio as the #1 item on the list. This is news? No, it doesn't mean a damn thing to me. I don't bother watching the news except for the weather, and even then they're wrong 7 out of 7 days of the week.

I have better things to spend my money and time on then a newspaper- and I have no interest in actually pursuing information about current affairs on the net- so the source for most of my news is whatever I hear on the morning radio talk show- only made tolerable by the personalities announcing it.

Yeah, that's right- f*ck Larry King too- f*ck him right in the ear!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Apr 28 2009, 06:50 PM
Post #9

Do I or don't I...........?

Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Apr 28 2009, 06:34 PM) *

GM is going to be a mere shell of itself very soon. They will probably end up filing chapter 11 bankruptcy and will shed more than just Pontiac,Saturn,Hummer and Saab. I bet GMC and maybe Buick will be gone. At least 1000 - 1200 dealerships will close or be forced to sell other brands. While it can be said management really screwed up GM it's the every day line workers that will suffer. It's sad. Hopefully in the end they come out as a viable business with a plan for the future. Chryslers not far behind.

Well, according to the followers of the Great Obama, Chrysler has until Thursady to meld itself with Fiat - there's a real match made in heaven! Should have added Renault into the mix. Too bad Yugo isn't still around - would have made aperfect triumvirate.

I'd say more about why these things are happening, but would just get banned again.

Wake up people....please!
Pat
+Quote Post
ellisor3
post Apr 28 2009, 07:13 PM
Post #10

HPWhore

Member No.: 9,683
Region Association: South East States

The UAW is potentially taking over GM in a preferred stock deal and in effect jumping over the GM bond holders if they go bankrupt. What a crock. This could only happen in America where for 80 years bondholders were first in line if a company goes bankrupt to get their money back, now the UAW and the US Government make this deal. They are making up the rules as they go along. I am one of the currently hated financial people and I can tell you this is a huge problem in our financial market when the government decided who lives and dies in a capitalist society. The bond holders of GM just got (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) Let the UAW have them. All aboard the Titanic. With the UAW potentially owning GM, watch what they do to the only survivor, Ford. The UAW is now a competitor of Ford.

The Chrysler Fiat deal will probably happen even if Chrysler goes bankrupt. It will be an easier deal if they do.

Sorry, this should have been posted OT, or in the sandbox but this government can (IMG:style_emoticons/default/KMA.gif)
+Quote Post
dbgriffith75
post Apr 28 2009, 07:23 PM
Post #11

TheGrif

The UAW is now a competitor of Ford.

I could be wrong here- and probably am- but I thought the UAW worked for all the major vehicle manufacturers... or does each manufacturer have it's own pet name for their given union?
+Quote Post
Rotary'14
post Apr 28 2009, 07:47 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 3,977

Why couldn't GM sell the Pontiac name brand, instead of letting it die?! I would think it could potentially be worth some $$.

just a thought,,,
-Rob
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 28 2009, 08:04 PM
Post #13

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Rotary'14 @ Apr 28 2009, 09:47 PM) *

Why couldn't GM sell the Pontiac name brand, instead of letting it die?! I would think it could potentially be worth some $$.

And all ya gotta do is support a 100-year old product line with no production facilities and no tooling...

As much as I like Pontiac, and I do except when their drivers get whiney about Porsches beating them in Rolex GT, they're not much but rebadged Chevrolets.

(As are Buicks, and Oldsmobiles, and...)
+Quote Post
zymurgist
post Apr 28 2009, 08:25 PM
Post #14

"Ace" Mechanic

Member No.: 4,238

QUOTE(RJMII @ Apr 28 2009, 08:26 PM) *

I heard a rumor that DeSoto is going under also... What next, Plymouth???

Aw shit. Should I be stocking up on LaSalle parts, too?
+Quote Post
Zimms
post Apr 28 2009, 08:39 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 5,565

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 28 2009, 10:04 PM) *

As much as I like Pontiac, and I do except when their drivers get whiney about Porsches beating them in Rolex GT, they're not much but rebadged Chevrolets.

I know you know this, but the GA G6s are tube frame wonders with no similarites to the street cars, while the Porsches are built starting with the production unibody. They and the "production" Mazdas are just silly.

I am sad to see the Solstice and G8 die. Signs of hope and promise that didn't sell enough to pay the bills.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Apr 28 2009, 08:47 PM
Post #16

rich herzog

Member No.: 513

QUOTE(Zimms @ Apr 28 2009, 10:39 PM) *

I know you know this, but the GA G6s are tube frame wonders with no similarites to the street cars, while the Porsches are built starting with the production unibody. They and the "production" Mazdas are just silly.

Yes, but they did at least have 'Pontiac' engines, as did some of the prototype cars, and they won quite a few races the past few seasons. (Toyota seems to be the flavor of the day just now tho.) I think it's good for the sport when any manufacturer supports with a nameplate vehicle.

You still have some Corvette factory support, at least in ALMS. I can never remember if Cadillac is in or out...
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Apr 28 2009, 10:28 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

It's almost time to learn how to speak chinese. Soon we will work for them.
+Quote Post
Zimms
post Apr 29 2009, 04:47 AM
Post #18

Member No.: 5,565

QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Apr 28 2009, 10:47 PM) *

Yes, but they did at least have 'Pontiac' engines, as did some of the prototype cars, and they won quite a few races the past few seasons. (Toyota seems to be the flavor of the day just now tho.) I think it's good for the sport when any manufacturer supports with a nameplate vehicle.

I agree with you 100%, and think GM had a smart strategy with their involvement in several different series.

Corvette should be adding more spice to GT2 starting at Mid Ohio. I think the Caddy's are done for now.
+Quote Post
rascobo
post Apr 29 2009, 05:31 AM
Post #19

Member No.: 7,948
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

To all those concerned about Government involvement;* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)

Since 1980 'You've' been the 'Government' and done just about anything and everything (legal and otherwise)to remove any regulations, oversight and boundries, placed on Industry, and with astounding success. Now we're all paying the cost for it . I don't expect to hear anyone admit to self-serving gullibility, and self-delusion, much less, outright greed and deception. But now that they've f*#*ked everything up, I would hope they had at least enough shame to shut the f#*k up, and give others a fair chance to try and fix it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif)
+Quote Post
buck toenges
post Apr 29 2009, 06:04 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 1,388

My wife has a 2004 suburban and it is a great vehicle. I'd buy another GM car without hesitation UNTIL the uaw and great glorious leader take over. Never will I buy a car that has been made from a company that has the uaw as the owner. All that money that was poured down the black hole of GM recently was for one purpose: to payback the uaw and allow that corrupt system to thrive. Who needs capitalism anymore? We got great and glorious leader to handle all our problems. As long as we hand him all our freedom and money.
I have spoken,
Buck
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 08:01 PM