Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> D-Jet Dizzy Gurus: How do I fix advance plate ground?
kpfoten
post Jun 11 2009, 08:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,927
Region Association: None

Hi,

I have my dizzy apart for my 1.7 D-Jet and noticed the small braided ground strap was fraying (basically no good). It is the ground between the advance plates.

Is there a way I can solder something in? Regular wire looks like it isn't flexible enough. On a previous thread, The Cap'n says that the plates are probably toast?

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 9)
Gint
post Jun 11 2009, 09:16 PM
Post #2

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

It is stranded copper wire, and it will separate slightly in the bend or the middle of the wire. That's normal, but If it's really frayed, it should be replaced. You can solder it, but you need to get everything really clean to get it done so it doesn't come right back off. You're right, regular wire probably won't be flexible enough.
+Quote Post
kpfoten
post Jun 11 2009, 09:24 PM
Post #3

It was really frayed and needless to say, I put slight pressure on it and it was basically in two pieces...

On a bright note, I have a Pertronix Igniter that I took off of an 009--can I use this on my D-Jet 1.7 Distributor?
+Quote Post
Gint
post Jun 11 2009, 09:28 PM
Post #4

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Gotchya - I think you can still buy a new plate assembly also. With wire. Check Pelican
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 11 2009, 09:31 PM
Post #5

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Check with the Cap'n... he probably has them on the shelf in stock if its a bosch part...which it should be.

Rich
+Quote Post
Joe Owensby
post Jun 11 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #6

JoeO

Member No.: 5,385
Region Association: South East States

The wire on my 1.7 broke after it was about 3 years old. I bought a bit of braided copper wire from Radio Shack that is normally used for wicking up solder to de-solder connections. I just soldered it to the places where the old wire was attached. It lasted about 30 years afterwards. I clamped a heat sink (used needle nose pliars) on the braidedwire to keep the solder from wicking up the braids, which would make it stiff. JoeO
+Quote Post
kpfoten
post Jun 12 2009, 07:59 AM
Post #7

Great--thanks for the info. I'll head to Radio Shaft and see what they've got...
+Quote Post
kpfoten
post Jun 12 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #8

QUOTE(Joe Owensby @ Jun 11 2009, 08:47 PM) *

The wire on my 1.7 broke after it was about 3 years old. I bought a bit of braided copper wire from Radio Shack that is normally used for wicking up solder to de-solder connections. I just soldered it to the places where the old wire was attached. It lasted about 30 years afterwards. I clamped a heat sink (used needle nose pliars) on the braidedwire to keep the solder from wicking up the braids, which would make it stiff. JoeO

Looks like RadioShack Desoldering Braid is what may work. A 5' roll (Stock # 64-2090) for $3.99 with the soldering stuff... I'll give it a try--waiting for my distributor lube to grease things up!

+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 12 2009, 03:00 PM
Post #9

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

I did this and wrote an illustrated thread on it. I'll be damned if I can find it. If I do I'll post a link. The trickiest part is getting the solder to stick well to the plates. The key is getting it good and clean and first tinning the spots where the wire wick will be soldered and the ends of the wire.

There's some info about it and more pics in my blog.

Here's a pic of my finished job:

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Rand
post Jun 12 2009, 03:06 PM
Post #10

Cross Member

Member No.: 3,573

Here's a pic showing how I tinned the plate. I used a little gas torch to heat the plate from the back side until it was hot enough to melt a blob of solder to the front side. That made it super easy to quickly solder the end of the wick to it (which was also pre-tinned). That's important because that wick is made to suck up the solder, so you need to do it quick to prevent it pulling up so much solder that it doesn't flex.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 05:11 PM