Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Accusump Oil Accumulator, Where to locate
MikeSpraggi
post Jun 16 2009, 02:21 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm thinking of adding an Accusump Oil Accumulator to my project DE/track car. The interior will have 2 seats but I would like to mount the accumulator so I can manually control it when starting the engine.

The one car I saw had the accumulator installed where the passenger seat is/was located so the driver could control it while strapped in. With two seats in my car, where else have any of you seen these units located? Thanks

Race car this weekend at Watkins Glen with Accusump.
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
messix
post Jun 16 2009, 02:35 AM
Post #2

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

mount it the engine compartment and use this http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/cgi-bi...p;category=2425
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Jun 16 2009, 04:45 AM
Post #3

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

Got my 3 quart mounted in rear trunk with the 12 volt solenoid.......

Attached Image
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 16 2009, 05:57 AM
Post #4

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Go for the electronic solonoid vs the manual and put it anywhere you want (the rear trunk is a nice spot)

Accusumps are such a nice addition to a Type4. I probably need to dig mine out & sell it, since I haven't had a 4 cylinder in years.

T.C.
+Quote Post
degreeoff
post Jun 16 2009, 07:16 AM
Post #5

I like big butts and I can not lie!

Member No.: 275

Mike has a six though....if one does not start the car for a week or so is it still ness on a six?
+Quote Post
carr914
post Jun 16 2009, 08:00 AM
Post #6

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623

Wet-Sump vs Dry-Sump. The 911 engine is full of oil

T.C.
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Jun 16 2009, 09:35 AM
Post #7

Member No.: 3,570

The track car I saw was a six. The reason this came up was I noticed the race car had the oil tank mounted where the gas tank originally sat which, is what I'm doing.

I asked if there were any problems with the front oil tank arrangement that they could alert me to. I was told during hard cornering, initially the car had experienced momentary oil starvation at times. They use the Accusump to maintain a constant oil feed and since installation, have not exeperienced starvation or loss of engine due to lack of supply. I understand that it can also help when starting the engine, but hey, that's why I'm asking (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) .
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jun 16 2009, 11:27 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Be sure and use a minimum of .500 lines (10/12an is a lot better) and the closer to the motor the better. Also the short lines will cost less. Long lines on anything including air loose pressure. More volume means more pressure with the end of the line open. You need at least 10lbs per 1000 rpms, ie 7k at least 70 lbs pressure. The switch and lines will probably cost as much as the accusump.
+Quote Post
sww914
post Jun 16 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

Don't mount it in the passenger compartment. Mine blew up once and shot 2 quarts of hot oil everywhere. It was in the engine compartment and I'm really glad it wasn't right next to me.
My situation was a combination of small problems that led to it's failure, but still you don't want that thing next to you.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 16 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #10

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

First, if a six needs an Accusump (hydraulic accumulator) there is something wrong in the installation of the dry sump tank. The tank outlet should be higher than the inlet of the pump to INSURE a flooded suction line.

And that's all I have to say about that!

+Quote Post
mudfoot76
post Jun 16 2009, 02:38 PM
Post #11

Currently teenerless :-(

Member No.: 1,814

I have a 2qt mounted in the rear trunk, an10 lines. My type4 is very happy with oil pressure when on the track.
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 16 2009, 03:21 PM
Post #12

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Member No.: 4,691
Region Association: Northern California

I'm picking up a variety of opinions -- shocking! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I've got an Accusump from the 944S I retired, sitting around doing nothing. I thought it might eventually be useful in a teener.

Sounds like everybody feels a Type IV benefits from an Accusump, but a 6 with a well positioned oil tank shouldn't for street applications, might for track applications.

Fair summary?

I believe my -6 will only see the track a couple times for grins, and will be setup for agressive street use. So it looks like I won't need the 'sump there, when I finally get around to cleaning it up.
+Quote Post
Matt Romanowski
post Jun 16 2009, 03:41 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 1,507

No 6 cylinder car needs an accusump. If a dry sump car has an oil starvation issue, there is another problem that needs to be fixed. An accusump is never needed on a six.

Also, the 10 psi per thousand guidline is only up to about 50 lbs (at 7k rpm you need 50+ psi). After that, you are just burning horsepower to make oil pressure.
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Jun 16 2009, 04:09 PM
Post #14

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

QUOTE(smj @ Jun 16 2009, 02:21 PM) *

I'm picking up a variety of opinions -- shocking! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I've got an Accusump from the 944S I retired, sitting around doing nothing. I thought it might eventually be useful in a teener.

Sounds like everybody feels a Type IV benefits from an Accusump, but a 6 with a well positioned oil tank shouldn't for street applications, might for track applications.

Fair summary?

I believe my -6 will only see the track a couple times for grins, and will be setup for agressive street use. So it looks like I won't need the 'sump there, when I finally get around to cleaning it up.

The dry sump is setup for POSITIVE oiling under all conditions (assuming a correct installation). Dry sumps are used for a couple of reasons:

1.) Positive Oiling
2.) Reduction of oil volume in the case (or sump) to avoid parasitic drag of oil droplets in the rotating assembly (takes horsepower away)

Hell, Aerobatic capable planes use a dry sump system to fly upside down (at least for a few moments anyway).

Wet sump systems suffer from a couple of problems:

1.) Loss of oil pressure when the oil moves away from the oil pump pickup in hard cornering / hard acceleration or deacceleration.
2.) Parasitic drag on the rotating components of an engine robbing horsepower. That spinning crank assembly creates quite a storm over the lake of oil in the sump. Deep pans, specially modified pans with baffles, crank scrapers and windage trays were developed to overcome this horsepower robbing drag.

On a small 4 cylinder racing engine, I was once told that the dry sump system would add about 5 hp from the lack of the lake of oil ... maybe true, maybe not.

Ok, that's enough. Wanna know more ... visit a library.

Oh, an Accusump is a trade name ... the correct terminology is hydraulic accumulator ... the ones we used on the race cars were HAs from a Boeing 707 hydraulic system.
+Quote Post
brant
post Jun 16 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #15

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

also...

you really don't want to add weight to the rear trunk of a race car
rules about weight apply to all weight... even oil weight.

low, forward on a 914, as little as possible.

I ran an accusump on the 4 race car but not the 6
+Quote Post
smj
post Jun 16 2009, 06:17 PM
Post #16

"Dude, Steve from Berkeley."

Member No.: 4,691
Region Association: Northern California

Appreciate the clarifications on all sides. Maybe the Accusump-brand hydraulic accumulator will go into the 968 if I start logging serious track time on it.
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Jun 16 2009, 08:10 PM
Post #17

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003

I agree the six doesn't "need" it. The reason I have one in my six is to pre-pressure the oil system before starting the engine. I have oil pressure before I start it, so little or no bearing wear......
+Quote Post
70Sixter
post Jun 17 2009, 02:10 PM
Post #18

Member No.: 2,444

And for any Boxster guys out there, LN Engineering has adapter for Accusump. For our tankless "dry sumps."
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jun 19 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

The next time someone tells you 50 psi is enough oil pressure at 7k go to nasioc or any forum that has high rpm motors and see what anyone that builds motors for a living thinks, 50psi might be fine on a 5k motor but thats all it will work on.

The idea is to have 10psi for every 1k at the hottest temp the motor will see and to run the thinnest oil that will hold that pressure.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jun 19 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #20

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

SLITS cant just say one thing...he must finish...he couldnt stop himself....(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

Rich
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th June 2024 - 10:13 PM