Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> according to Heckmann & Thiemann, a 914 isn't a VW OR a Porsche
davesprinkle
post Jun 27 2009, 12:23 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,943
Region Association: None

So I've got a rattle from the right front strut. I stop in at an independent service shop in Portland -- Heckmann Thiemann VW Porsche Audi. 2 911s, one early, one late, are in the lot. Up on the lift is a VW van.

I pull up in the 914 and walk into the office. Three guys are there, none of them speak. After a few seconds, I ask if they would be able to tighten the cap on the strut. Simple job, should take less than 15 minutes.

One guy mumbles something about trying to reduce their workload; they're really busy. So I say, OK, when can you work it in?

Then I find the real reason -- "We don't work on 914s."

"Really?", I say, "that 914 front end is identical to that 911 over there." "And the engine is the same as the one in the van, only with Porsche cams and ports."

"Yeah, well, we've never worked on 914s and we're not going to start now."

So there you have it -- not a real Porsche, not a real VW. Bizarre.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V  1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
SirAndy
post Jun 27 2009, 12:34 PM
Post #2

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Jun 27 2009, 12:35 PM
Post #3

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348

Try Allen at A&P auto specialties. He's a good guy, I've used him, Craig and may others have used him. He's very reasonable, and I've allways been happy with his work.
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Jun 27 2009, 04:30 PM
Post #4

QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jun 27 2009, 11:35 AM) *

Try Allen at A&P auto specialties. He's a good guy, I've used him, Craig and may others have used him. He's very reasonable, and I've allways been happy with his work.

Yeah, Allen's a good guy. I had him do some work once before. I just thought I'd give H&T a shot, since they're near my house and "Porsche, VW, Audi" pretty much encapsulates the entirety of the 914. Or so I thought...
+Quote Post
Rav914
post Jun 27 2009, 05:07 PM
Post #5

All-weather fan

Member No.: 7,669

I bought a 67S a few years back that just had a tune up from them. Wrong distributor cap. But that didn't stop them from forcing the thing on there.

Business is business. If your money is too good for them, so be it. Jerks.
+Quote Post
dw914er
post Jun 27 2009, 05:10 PM
Post #6

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763
Region Association: Southern California

there's a small flaw in your logic... they don't work on 914s =/= a 914 is not vw or porsche. It is funny that its similar to both, but whatever. At least they do recognize it is different though. Nothing worse than a vw guy thinking he can work on a type 4 just like how he would on a type 1. But still, your issue shouldn't have been a problem... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 27 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #7

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Fools.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

Its sounds like they did you a favor by passing on it.... make sure you tell all the Portland VW, Porsche, 911, and 914 folks about their "wisdom".
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Jun 27 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 9,067
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Had the same thing happen here in Rockford, Illinois at Import Autoworks. I asked if they could time my motor and do a valve adjustment...they said sure until i told them the car. they will work on my 71 vw bug, but not my 72 914, huh..oh well..learned how to do the VA on my own
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Jun 27 2009, 08:27 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 10,148

I had a local shop here in Sacramento tell me they will no longer work on 914's. Then the owner smiled and asked if I needed any parts. I have been back several times for both parts and advice. There was a nice bumble bee being worked on once when I was in there. Is that someone here? (Orangevale area?)
+Quote Post
Lou W
post Jun 27 2009, 08:52 PM
Post #10

"Here Kitty Kitty" my ass......

Member No.: 2,039
Region Association: Spain

Heckmann & Theimann Link

They work on Subaru's
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 27 2009, 08:59 PM
Post #11

914 Wizard

QUOTE(raw1298 @ Jun 27 2009, 07:27 PM) *

I had a local shop here in Sacramento tell me they will no longer work on 914's. Then the owner smiled and asked if I needed any parts. I have been back several times for both parts and advice. There was a nice bumble bee being worked on once when I was in there. Is that someone here? (Orangevale area?)

There's a great guy in Napa who knows 914s really well.
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Jun 27 2009, 09:27 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 10,148

Well see, thats the problem. I have these jackstands stuck to the bottom of my car for the past two years. I think they have been attached permanently. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) So Napa is out of the question for now.
+Quote Post
Mike D.
post Jun 27 2009, 09:54 PM
Post #13

OK, It runs now, and pretty good too!

Member No.: 85

Same thing here in So Cal, Aurel & Dons Independant Porsche Repair in North Hollywood. Years ago when I first got the car I met a guy with a 912E told me to go to this shop. I took the car in and they say "we don't work on 914's", I look over and there is a 914 on one of the lifts and I say "what is THAT?", and the guys says "THAT is a 914-6, and that customer also has a 356 that we take care of too". I paused a bit then told him he didn't have to be such an ass, then I peeled out in his drive way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Jun 27 2009, 10:14 PM
Post #14

QUOTE(Mike D. @ Jun 27 2009, 08:54 PM) *

Same thing here in So Cal, Aurel & Dons Independant Porsche Repair in North Hollywood. Years ago when I first got the car I met a guy with a 912E told me to go to this shop. I took the car in and they say "we don't work on 914's", I look over and there is a 914 on one of the lifts and I say "what is THAT?", and the guys says "THAT is a 914-6, and that customer also has a 356 that we take care of too". I paused a bit then told him he didn't have to be such an ass, then I peeled out in his drive way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Your 914 can peel out?
+Quote Post
1970 Neun vierzehn
post Jun 28 2009, 01:45 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,727

I have no time or money for uppity, snotty and arrogant shops. When I was deciding who was going to do my 914 resto, one of the shops I contacted was a regional PCA advertiser, specializing in PORSCHE bodywork. When they asked me what type of car I had and I told them it was a 914, their reply was "we don't work on 914s". I explained this wasn't going to be a fender-bender fix or a quick respray, but that didn't matter to them. If they had said that they didn't have the resources, knowledge about, or informational access for a 914 resto, I might have forgiven them, but their total flippant attitude that my money wasn't good enough to warrant their working on my car, well (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

Now when someone asks me for a quality bodyshop recommendation, that shop is recommended NOT to use.

Paul
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Jun 28 2009, 03:46 PM
Post #16

QUOTE(dw914er @ Jun 27 2009, 04:10 PM) *

there's a small flaw in your logic... they don't work on 914s =/= a 914 is not vw or porsche

Here's the logic:
1. H&T works on VWs, Porsches, Audis, and Subarus.
2. H&T will not work on a 914.
3. Conclusion: a 914 is not a VW, not a Porsche, not an Audi, not a Subaru
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Jun 28 2009, 03:52 PM
Post #17

914 Wizard

QUOTE(davesprinkle @ Jun 28 2009, 02:46 PM) *

QUOTE(dw914er @ Jun 27 2009, 04:10 PM) *

there's a small flaw in your logic... they don't work on 914s =/= a 914 is not vw or porsche

Here's the logic:
1. H&T works on VWs, Porsches, Audis, and Subarus.
2. H&T will not work on a 914.
3. Conclusion: a 914 is not a VW, not a Porsche, not an Audi, not a Subaru

Actually, 3. Conclusion: H&T sucks.
+Quote Post
charliew
post Jun 28 2009, 06:05 PM
Post #18

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I would think any shop that says they don't work on a specific auto is ok by me. They do the work and pay the employees and the bills. I would rather they not work on a car than do sh**y work because they don't like the car or charge for work that was poorly done. Personaly I do all the work on my own cars and always have.

Actually 914's and fieros are pretty different to work on and lots of mechanics have plenty of easier jobs usually waiting on them. I kinda wonder about someone's knowledge of a job who says it's a 15 minutes job to a mechanic and doesn't want do it themself, although if it's like a superbeetle it is a 15 minute job to tighten the cartridge nut on the strut.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Jun 28 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #19

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

They did you a favor.
Go to Stuttgart Autotech.
1 503 635 3098.
I do my own work but I've heard good things about these guys.

It "sounds" like a 10 minute job.
+Quote Post
davesprinkle
post Jun 28 2009, 08:14 PM
Post #20

QUOTE(charliew @ Jun 28 2009, 05:05 PM) *

I would think any shop that says they don't work on a specific auto is ok by me. They do the work and pay the employees and the bills. I would rather they not work on a car than do sh**y work because they don't like the car or charge for work that was poorly done. Personaly I do all the work on my own cars and always have.

Actually 914's and fieros are pretty different to work on and lots of mechanics have plenty of easier jobs usually waiting on them. I kinda wonder about someone's knowledge of a job who says it's a 15 minutes job to a mechanic and doesn't want do it themself, although if it's like a superbeetle it is a 15 minute job to tighten the cartridge nut on the strut.

Charlie, it really is a 15 minute job. Car in the air, wheel off, remove strut nut, drop strut housing out of fender, use your big-a** wrench to tighten the cap. Those guys have worked on 911s -- it's the same simple process and they know it.

I'd do it myself, but it's easier with a lift and that aformentioned wrench. I don't have anything to prove. It's not a point of honor here, it's pragmatism. I'd rather pay a 1/2 hour shop rate than roll around in the dirt for an hour. Whatever.

But you're right, at least they were candid about their preference. They COULD have taken my money and then done a poor job on a car they don't like. Better I feel rejected than pissed about a lousy repair.
+Quote Post

3 Pages V  1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th June 2024 - 01:29 PM