Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Car Seat, in a 914
silverteener
post Sep 28 2009, 02:13 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,566

I know this may sound like a crazy question but has anyone put a car seat in their 914. I have a 72 and my seat belts don't retract. I was just thinking about putting it in to take him to the sitter which is 5 minutes away. Just wondering if anyone has done this. I would turn the airbag off of course!

Thanks

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 19)
VaccaRabite
post Sep 28 2009, 02:16 PM
Post #2

En Garde!

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(silverteener @ Sep 28 2009, 03:13 PM) *

I know this may sound like a crazy question but has anyone put a car seat in their 914. I have a 72 and my seat belts don't retract. I was just thinking about putting it in to take him to the sitter which is 5 minutes away. Just wondering if anyone has done this. I would turn the airbag off of course!

Thanks

I have thought about it with mine. yes, it would work, but I really don't want to do that. First off, my car is loud, and scares the little guy, and second I don't think it would offer nearly the protection as my regular car.

When he is a little older and can say "Yes" or "No too LOUD" I'll revisit the issue.

Zach

+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Sep 28 2009, 02:30 PM
Post #3

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753
Region Association: None

I take my kids for rides all of the time. They actually like the louder car I have now, as opposed to the wimpier 2.o I gave to my dad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

I don't think I would feel as comfortable driving them around in a city the size of LA, but around here, they LOVE it.

The Britax car seats have a seat belt clip that work really well.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-3881-1159198573.jpg)

The only problem is, I have two kids and one passenger seat. They usually fight over who gets to go for a ride.

These are old pics. The kids are bigger now, and so is the engine. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
messix
post Sep 28 2009, 02:33 PM
Post #4

AKA "CLUTCH KILLER"!

From: between shit kickers and pinky lifters/ puget sound wa.north of Seattle south of Canada
Member No.: 3,931
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

had one in my car. my daunter was about 3-4 and she loved it!
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Sep 28 2009, 03:08 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 7,611

I have retracting seatbelts and use a CG-Lock on both of my cars that don't have the LATCH system. I do put down a folded over towel on the seats and clip the LATCH clips together behind the seat just in case. The seat won't move. The only problem is, my 2 year old daughter wants the top off no matter what the weather.
+Quote Post
Shade Tree
post Sep 28 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 9,860
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

If you take the bottom pad off of the passenger seat, car seats, or at least the one we use, fits right down on the metal and is more stable than any other car I've tried since you are usually trying to get the seat stable on a thick foam cushion. I don't think our seat belts would work too well with a rear facing car seat, though.
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Sep 28 2009, 03:11 PM
Post #7

he's about 17 months. He loves the car. Last night he spent about a 1/2 hour trying to put my truck key into the ignition! I think I might try it tonight!
+Quote Post
flipb
post Sep 28 2009, 03:51 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 10,752

Please share lessons learned!

My son is almost 3 and loves "Daddy's yellow race car" as he calls it. My wife permitted me to drive him 10 feet or so, just loosely belted into the passenger seat in the safe confines of the driveway.

I'm planning to strap a carseat in at some point and take him for a real drive. I know that we need a locking clip and we've got one that came with the carseat, but I haven't tried installing it yet - as much as anything, worried about tearing the passenger seat.

I searched the forums on this topic a while back and there were a few helpful comments - but let us know how it works out for you.
+Quote Post
djm914-6
post Sep 28 2009, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Happiness is: Getting on the road

Member No.: 248

Done the car seat. Done the booster seat. Now just seats (3 with newly installed lap belt in the middle).
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Sep 28 2009, 03:58 PM
Post #10

I'll have to figure mine out. I've only installed them using the latch method. I've never put one in using seatbelts.
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Sep 28 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #11

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

My neighbor has his car seat in his-6 all the time. It's even a Porsche car seat !
+Quote Post
silverteener
post Sep 28 2009, 04:01 PM
Post #12

What is a CG Lock? I'm thinking that originally came with the seat.. that a probably don't have anymore.
+Quote Post
pktzygt
post Sep 28 2009, 06:18 PM
Post #13

Member No.: 7,611

QUOTE(silverteener @ Sep 28 2009, 06:01 PM) *

What is a CG Lock? I'm thinking that originally came with the seat.. that a probably don't have anymore.

It holds the lap belt in place and lets the shoulder belt move. Keeps your butt planted in the seat. I absolutely love the thing. I have 2 of them. I use it for autocross and driving on the street and have no plans to get a harness.

http://www.cg-lock.com/
+Quote Post
srb7f
post Sep 28 2009, 10:35 PM
Post #14

Member No.: 2,077

I went through this exact scenario for my 3 year-old who was just dying to ride in the car. I work in a hospital and have seen too many accidents involving children, and just didn't like the idea of using 35 year old seatbelt fabric to keep my kid in place. I therefore created what I believe to be the first LATCH-type system in a 914 using the factory seatbelt mounts.

All you need is two race harness mounting eyebolts (standard thread) available from Simpson, RacerWholesale, etc., some grade 8 washers, and spacers that I was able to make by reaming out and cutting down a 10mm deep socket that had the right outer diameter. Only downside is that the seat can no longer sit all the way back against the backpad, but 1 click from all the way back is now as far as it can go (no big deal since you can't really see the difference anyhow).

Works great for LATCH belts that Graco seats use, but not Britax. Rock solid carseat mount, even tighter than my wife's CR-V!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
srb7f
post Sep 28 2009, 10:37 PM
Post #15

Member No.: 2,077

Attached Image
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Sep 28 2009, 10:47 PM
Post #16

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

+ 1 on the Britax. Its sturdy and you can clamp it in very easily and safely.
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Sep 28 2009, 11:10 PM
Post #17

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

Does your state laws allow children to ride in the f r o n t seat ???Check your state laws on this , in Tennessee small children can't ride in the front seat no matter what child seat one uses !! Don't mean to be a bummer , states vary.

Jaxdream
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Sep 29 2009, 01:43 AM
Post #18

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Front seats are prohibited largely due to air bag concerns. If you only have front seats, like in a truck, I doubt it is a problem.
+Quote Post
TROJANMAN
post Sep 30 2009, 10:32 AM
Post #19

Looks nice in pictures.........

Member No.: 1,753

I actually got pulled over for having my kid in the trunk. The cop didn't by the "no back seat" argument.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Ferg
post Sep 30 2009, 11:15 AM
Post #20

914 Guru

Member No.: 116

I do it all the time, use the metal bracket that comes with the car seat to double up the lap belt and the shoulder belt portion as one. Sorta a pain to get it tight but it's the only way with non ratcheting belts.

I like those eyehooks, but my Recaro seat would not clip on, the anchor clips are only wide enough for the new car anchor points.

Ferg.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 02:44 AM