Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> In what class is the 914 most competitive?, Auto-X and Track
Todd Enlund
post Mar 21 2008, 11:53 AM
Post #1

Resident Photoshop Guru

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,032
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

I'd like to race my streetable 914 when I am done building it. I'd also like to be competitive, and decisions that I make now will affect my classification later.

What classes should I be building for? Where is the 914 most competitive? I don't have an engine yet, so anything goes.

Looks like these are all of the possibilities for SCCA Solo:

CS
STS2
DSP
SM2
XP
DP
DM
EM

CS is not going to happen. Obviously, DM and EM will not be realistic for a streetable car.

I'd like to road race as well as AX, but AX is more of a priority for the time being. Actually, I'd like to build a dedicated track car in the future if things work out...
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jhadler
post Mar 21 2008, 03:32 PM
Post #2

Long term tinkerer...

Group: Members
Member No.: 529

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Mar 21 2008, 10:53 AM) *

I'd like to race my streetable 914 when I am done building it. I'd also like to be competitive, and decisions that I make now will affect my classification later.

What classes should I be building for? Where is the 914 most competitive? I don't have an engine yet, so anything goes.

First, you need to ask yourself the question:"Do I want to be competitive locally, or nationally?"

If the answer is nationally, then you need to ask the next question to yourself:"How much do I hate my bank account???".

For local competition, so long as you don't have a national hot shoe in your region, you might be able to have a good go at many of the classes, and can tailor your development to suit your financial reality. For National competition? Well... read on...

CS - Locally? Maybe, if the local class is thin. Nationally? Not a prayer. At least not now. C Stock is the domain of the miata. No way a 2.0L can compete in stock form.

STS2 - A 1.6L miata is an extremely competent platform for the class because it gets to use the viscous limited slip. The 2.0L motor for the 914 is too large for the class rules, and you're at a noticeable disadvantage compared to the miata in almost every way.

DSP - Locally, a fun car. possible podium contender. Nationally? The class right now is home to the big bad bimmers. They handle great, and have gobs of power (especially compared to the teener). But I believe that on the right course, a fully prepped (and well driven) 914 in DSP might be able to hold its own against the bimmers, but that's a tough one. Building a national level SP car entails cost. And it's not cheap where the big dogs play.

All of the below will be non-streetable. That doesn't mean you can't take 'em on the street, but you likely won't want it as a daily driver.

SM2 - I think the 914 has lots of potential here. But this is a cubic dollars class. Don't think of competing in the National scene without a SERIOUS financial commitment. My personal thought of an SM2 914 involves a built/supercharged 3.6 with a hewland gearbox...

XP - Pretty much the same boat as SM2, but with more flexibility, it may allow you to save a little money in places that SM2 would cost more. Not that XP is a cheap class, it ain't. But the rules allow A LOT. A creative person might be able to come up with some ways around things. Still, it's a VERY expensive class to compete at the National level.

Both XP and SM2 are great possible classes for local competition, but you still gotta build the car...

DP - Probably not the way the class is structured (unless it changed recently, I don't know). The 914 is overweight for the class, and I don't think that the engine can overcome that disadvantage.

FP - A little cheaper than XP to build a national level car, but not much. The most recent National Championship for a 914 was won in FP in 2002 (three back to back wins). That car was a work or art, and the motor in that car cost more than all four of my cars put together.

DM - Very Expensive, and a close personal relationship with your swazall and welder.

EM - Same as DM with more motor.

Both EM and DM are great playgrounds for local competition, because the rules are SO loose. Go nuts, build a cool car, and have fun. But don't be deluded that your $7k investment in a locally competitive D/EM car will garner a podium at Nationals. These guys have scary amounts of money, and experience, invested in some of these machines. A great example is Steve Tamandli's E-Mod "Fiero". I used quotes because it only resembles a fiero from a distance. It's a single piece fiero shaped shell that sits on, what is for all intents and purposes, a V8 powered formula Atlantic chassis.

I'd like to road race as well as AX, but AX is more of a priority for the time being. Actually, I'd like to build a dedicated track car in the future if things work out...

Road race? Or just track the car? BIG, BIG, BIG difference. There are folks better able to answer the RR question. But suffice it to say, any class that will allow a streetable car, will not likley have a place where the 914 can be competitive, or possibly even allowed.

Just tracking it? Whatever you got!!! I'm a big fan of taking sports cars on the track, it's what they're SUPPOSED to do! But go into it with eyes open. Not to sound negative (cause I'm not, I LOVE Time Trials and DE's), but I always tell people who are thinking of tracking their cars the same thing. "Don't take your car on the track unless you're prepared to walk away from it". Stuff happens, and if/when it does, it can sometimes handily rearrange sheet metal.

-Josh2
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Todd Enlund   In what class is the 914 most competitive?   Mar 21 2008, 11:53 AM
blitZ   I am in SM2. It's a tough class, but I think ...   Mar 21 2008, 12:27 PM
jhadler   I'd like to race my [i]streetable 914 when I ...   Mar 21 2008, 03:32 PM
jhadler   I'll add this... Before you build, or even TH...   Mar 21 2008, 03:36 PM
J P Stein   Youz pays your money & you takes your chances....   Mar 21 2008, 05:17 PM
Joe Ricard   SM2 as soon as the rules mature and become stabil....   Mar 23 2008, 08:59 PM
Todd Enlund   Thanks guys... good info. I asked before I starte...   Mar 24 2008, 10:00 AM
J P Stein   Thanks guys... good info. I asked before I start...   Mar 24 2008, 10:28 AM
jhadler   Thanks guys... good info. I asked before I start...   Mar 24 2008, 11:07 AM
Garold Shaffer   I ran very well in DSP in my 70 with a 74 2.0 and ...   Mar 26 2008, 11:17 AM
Joe Ricard   I would like to run DSP if it weren't for the ...   Mar 26 2008, 03:02 PM
Todd Enlund   SM2 as soon as the rules mature and become stabil...   Mar 30 2008, 11:40 PM
Joe Ricard   Welcome to my world. There is a change in the wo...   Mar 31 2008, 03:26 PM
Joe Mama   SCCA hates 914s....   Apr 12 2008, 10:56 PM
Joe Ricard   It's not that they directly hate 914's Pr...   Apr 14 2008, 12:52 PM
dinomium   It's not that they directly hate 914's P...   Apr 29 2008, 06:41 PM
jhadler   In SCCA road racing? The 914 can still be competit...   Apr 29 2008, 07:03 PM
dinomium   I am too old and too poor to try to compete nation...   Apr 29 2008, 07:11 PM
Garold Shaffer   I am too old and too poor to try to compete natio...   Apr 29 2008, 08:45 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 10:35 PM