Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> is this really a good idea?
rustyknife
post May 4 2008, 03:10 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,006
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

i've restored an 80 vw westy and a 68 vw single cab truck. i'm looking for a new project. i've lost a ton of $$$ on these projects but it keeps me sane. i like the look and history of the 914 and it seems that project-status cars are around for a decent price. does my previously-dented wallet prepare me for what's ahead if i go this route, or are we talking a completely different ball game?

i "restore" vehicles to make them safe and fun and usable, not showroom or anything like that.

what should a guy look for in a project car?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
jasons
post May 4 2008, 03:48 PM
Post #2

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rustyknife @ May 4 2008, 02:10 PM) *

what should a guy look for in a project car?

First and foremost rust. Always look for rust. In general there are 2 kinds of 914's out there. Ones that have rust, and ones that have had the rust repaired. Chances are if you are buying a project 914 its gonna have some level of rust. Thats OK, you just want to know what you are getting and what makes sense to repair.

As far as $$$, these cars share more with 911's than with any VW. So expect Porsche parts prices.

Mechanically, I would say you are prepared.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
rustyknife
post May 4 2008, 10:57 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 9,006
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(jasons @ May 4 2008, 02:48 PM) *

So expect Porsche parts prices.

this sounds intimidating. but what does it mean? never having owned a porsche, i have no frame of reference.

thanks for the tips all, it sounds promising.

another question i would have is what do these cars "feel" like? while i applaud the reliability of modern sport vehicles-especially japanese ones- a complaint i have is that they lack character and personality. i once had a fiat spyder that was a complete piece of unreliable junk but i loved it because it drove, sounded, and smelt like no other car.
+Quote Post
dw914er
post May 5 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #4

Planning Cities

Member No.: 8,763
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rustyknife @ May 4 2008, 09:57 PM) *

QUOTE(jasons @ May 4 2008, 02:48 PM) *

So expect Porsche parts prices.

this sounds intimidating. but what does it mean? never having owned a porsche, i have no frame of reference.

thanks for the tips all, it sounds promising.

another question i would have is what do these cars "feel" like? while i applaud the reliability of modern sport vehicles-especially japanese ones- a complaint i have is that they lack character and personality. i once had a fiat spyder that was a complete piece of unreliable junk but i loved it because it drove, sounded, and smelt like no other car.

what do they feel like?

these cars are one of the best handling cars you can find. With the near perfect balance of the car, the ablilty to go through turns is outstanding. Also, they are fun to drive. My car with a mild 2.0 type 4 may not be the fastest or quickest car, but it can always bring a smile to your face. If you like to drive, this car is probably for you

just watch for rust, and make good friends with us, and we can help you through the process

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
rustyknife   is this really a good idea?   May 4 2008, 03:10 PM
jasons   what should a guy look for in a project car? F...   May 4 2008, 03:48 PM
rustyknife   So expect Porsche parts prices. this sounds in...   May 4 2008, 10:57 PM
dw914er   So expect Porsche parts prices. this sounds i...   May 5 2008, 12:00 AM
jasons   So expect Porsche parts prices. this sounds i...   May 5 2008, 09:45 AM
Gint   So expect Porsche parts prices. this sounds i...   May 5 2008, 05:24 PM
jimkelly   get the rustiest one you can find - it will keep y...   May 4 2008, 03:48 PM
Pat Garvey   Here's what I would suggest. Rust, as with an...   May 4 2008, 10:10 PM
Phoenix 914-6GT   These cars feel amazing. One of the most fun cars ...   May 4 2008, 11:21 PM
cwpeden   Rusty, Come out to Western Speedway May 11 and I...   May 5 2008, 12:10 AM
rustyknife   Rusty, Come out to Western Speedway May 11 and I...   May 6 2008, 11:12 AM
So.Cal.914   It is so true...Everytime I slide behind the whe...   May 5 2008, 10:28 AM
RJMII   Rusty, If I were in your position, I'd be ta...   May 5 2008, 12:29 PM
jaminM3   I am surprised nobody has mentioned the WCR that i...   May 5 2008, 01:44 PM
jonat127   If you asked a bunch of ice cream lovers if they ...   May 5 2008, 05:02 PM
ericread   The truth is that you can spend as much or as litt...   May 6 2008, 11:48 AM
KELTY360   OK, my standard rant that I've bored people wi...   May 6 2008, 12:38 PM
ericread   If we haven't convinced you yet... Then it...   May 6 2008, 02:24 PM
Cevan   Just drive one. I bought mine last fall and put a...   May 6 2008, 02:55 PM
rustyknife   i'm convinced. now to figger out how i'm g...   May 6 2008, 10:18 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 12:12 AM