Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pulse plugs..., who's heard of and/or using them?
dbgriffith75
post Jun 5 2008, 12:48 PM
Post #1

TheGrif

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

So I was at the auto parts store today picking up some new tools, and as I was standing at the counter I noticed a layout advertisement for a newly designed spark plug called a "pulse plug." Basically its the same concept as a spark plug, only with an added internal capacitor to create a spark 10 times more powerful than your average plug. It's supposed to burn feul more efficiently, resulting in increased mileage, HP and torque.

I was just curious if anybody's heard of and/or using them, and if it actually holds up to the claims? I'm not specifically talking about a 914 either, because I wouldn't mind using them in my DD if it's really true.

Here's the website I found on them: http://www.pulstarplug.com

Thoughts?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
dbgriffith75
post Jun 5 2008, 01:36 PM
Post #2

TheGrif

Member No.: 7,945
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I figured wth...might try them...

$25.00 per plug......hahahahahahahahaha

Not gonna happen.

Rich

Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but not the most expensive I've heard of. A guy I used to work with used to own a dodge dually deisel (can't remember the specific engine model) and he claimed glow plugs for that beast cost him $58/plug. And given that it's a new product, you should expect a higher cost. Eventually it will go down over time. Just like the PS3, which I think is currently at $500 for a new system. Give it a few years and that price will drop dramatically. Of course by then it won't be the new fad anymore, but you get my point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If your engine is really tuned correctly, is any of this stuff really necessary? It seems to me that a properly tuned engine wouldn't need any of these "improvements", but does that make all of these "snake oil"?

That's a good point, but the purpose for these plugs is the same as what auto manufacturers are doing with sensors and computers and hybrids and the like on new model cars- to make the car more efficient. Theoretically a bigger spark would provide more efficient ignition of the feul, which would result in better economy, HP and torque. But as with many things auto related, there's a huge difference between theory and application.

I can see how these would make a difference in about any vehicle, but the actual difference would vary depending on what you put them in. Say they're installed in a little 4 banger coupe- you'd probably see a much greater improvement as opposed to installing them in a V8 heavy half pick up just because of the weight of each vehicle.

Maybe next time I'm in the parts store I'll see if they can arrange a demonstration to get an actual look at the spark difference.
+Quote Post
ericread
post Jun 5 2008, 01:44 PM
Post #3

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Jun 5 2008, 12:36 PM) *

I figured wth...might try them...

$25.00 per plug......hahahahahahahahaha

Not gonna happen.

Rich

Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but not the most expensive I've heard of. A guy I used to work with used to own a dodge dually deisel (can't remember the specific engine model) and he claimed glow plugs for that beast cost him $58/plug. And given that it's a new product, you should expect a higher cost. Eventually it will go down over time. Just like the PS3, which I think is currently at $500 for a new system. Give it a few years and that price will drop dramatically. Of course by then it won't be the new fad anymore, but you get my point. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

If your engine is really tuned correctly, is any of this stuff really necessary? It seems to me that a properly tuned engine wouldn't need any of these "improvements", but does that make all of these "snake oil"?

That's a good point, but the purpose for these plugs is the same as what auto manufacturers are doing with sensors and computers and hybrids and the like on new model cars- to make the car more efficient. Theoretically a bigger spark would provide more efficient ignition of the feul, which would result in better economy, HP and torque. But as with many things auto related, there's a huge difference between theory and application.

I can see how these would make a difference in about any vehicle, but the actual difference would vary depending on what you put them in. Say they're installed in a little 4 banger coupe- you'd probably see a much greater improvement as opposed to installing them in a V8 heavy half pick up just because of the weight of each vehicle.

Maybe next time I'm in the parts store I'll see if they can arrange a demonstration to get an actual look at the spark difference.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) My point is that just beause something is new or "faddish", it's not necessarily bad. However, I've ask the Crane multiple-spark question several times under different threads, and never really gotten an answer.

BTW: It looks like these plugs are in direct competition with the NOLOGY wires.

So, which of these are "snake oil" and which really make a difference?????

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
dbgriffith75   Pulse plugs...   Jun 5 2008, 12:48 PM
URY914   BS.   Jun 5 2008, 12:56 PM
Zundfolge   Snake Oil. If pulse plugs performed half as well ...   Jun 5 2008, 01:01 PM
ericread   I'm curious :confused: I see that this plug...   Jun 5 2008, 01:12 PM
r_towle   I figured wth...might try them... $25.00 per...   Jun 5 2008, 01:15 PM
Brando   I'm waiting to hear back from them...   Jun 5 2008, 01:23 PM
Brando   Interesting test results: http://www.pulstarplug.c...   Jun 5 2008, 01:25 PM
dbgriffith75   Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but not the most...   Jun 5 2008, 01:36 PM
ericread   Yeah, they're a bit pricey, but not the mos...   Jun 5 2008, 01:44 PM
Rand   I don't get it. They say these plugs "sto...   Jun 5 2008, 01:57 PM
ConeDodger   I don't get it. They say these plugs "st...   Jun 5 2008, 02:09 PM
6freak   I don't get it. They say these plugs "s...   Jun 5 2008, 03:00 PM
ericread   I don't get it. They say these plugs "st...   Jun 5 2008, 02:10 PM
biosurfer1   Regarding their Toyota Prius results... I thoug...   Jun 5 2008, 02:10 PM
messix   oh jake! i'll try on the msd and crane, ...   Jun 5 2008, 02:13 PM
Brando   So, am i the only one that read through the websit...   Jun 5 2008, 02:20 PM
ConeDodger   So, am i the only one that read through the websi...   Jun 5 2008, 02:48 PM
dbgriffith75   That's what a capacitor does. To put it a l...   Jun 5 2008, 02:22 PM
r_towle   That's what a capacitor does. To put it a ...   Jun 5 2008, 03:38 PM
ericread   [quote name='dbgriffith75' post='1041158' date='J...   Jun 5 2008, 04:10 PM
messix   google "ohm's law" you can't g...   Jun 5 2008, 04:02 PM
904svo   My son has a Dyno we have seen small power gains w...   Jun 5 2008, 04:38 PM
Brando   How about on a CDI ignition setup?   Jun 5 2008, 06:08 PM
Tom   Capicators do not automatically discharge. They me...   Jun 5 2008, 06:27 PM
Rand   This is getting fun. I understand how a capacitor...   Jun 5 2008, 06:44 PM
Tom   OK , after further thought, in certain circumstanc...   Jun 5 2008, 07:26 PM
ericread   OK , after further thought, in certain circumstan...   Jun 5 2008, 11:11 PM
mskala   Not to get extremely technical, which I couldn...   Jun 5 2008, 07:35 PM
Tom   Eric, You're welcome. It almost seems l...   Jun 5 2008, 11:36 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th May 2024 - 04:04 AM