Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Confidence is building, last 10 rides seemed 'ok'
redshift
post Jan 5 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #1

Bless the Hell out of you!

Group: Members
Member No.: 869

I am feeling more confident, but there is still an invisible line around town that I am a lil worried about driving outside of it. Haven't stalled, or had a suddenly rich condition in about 10 hard drives.

It's become obvious to me that I am not going to be able to use this car as a daily driver.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) I guess the injection is just 5-10 years outside it's service life. This is my last Type-4 motor, I wouldn't do it again for free.

I need a second car, again.

I can't believe I have so much money in this thing, and still needs basically everything, to make me happy.

Sorry for the whine, if not here, where? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
soloracer
post Jan 6 2004, 01:59 PM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 538

If it makes you feel any better here are my current money pit stories:

Bought a 1987 RX7 Turbo. Had shop rebuild engine for approx $5000 with some upgrades. Engine did not make break in period. Had it rebuilt again under warranty. Still did not make break in period. Rebuilt a third time under warranty. Also had engine management system installed. Car given back to me running but very poorly. Spent a year trying to get car to run - had it at the track a few times but not reliably. Over $20K invested and currently has been sitting in my garage on blocks for last 2 years. Have been going over the work that was paid for and found a million things that were either were not done or not done properly. Have put on less than 10,000 miles in last 4 years. Have friends who did the work themselves at the same time as me and have a) less money into the car and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif) been on the road running fine for the last 2 years. Lesson learned.....do it yourself if you want it done right.

Bought 1989 944 Turbo because I was tired of the RX7 problems. Let friend borrow car to drive cousin to bus station. He spins in the rain, jumps a curb and hits a fence. Get car completely repainted on my dollar as did not have collision coverage and friend has no money to pay. Sits at body shop for 1/2 year. Next year had a few issues that I fixed but when the clutch went after the first year decided to "do things right" and have engine rebuilt at the same time as putting in a new clutch. In January booked my tickets/rooms/events for Porsche Parade coming in August. Car sits at rebuilders from February until early August during which time it was broken into and $9000 in parts were stolen (and later recovered). Car gets running day before leaving for Parade. Head off to Parade in Porsche making sure to be carefull to break in the engine. On the afternoon of the second day timing belt breaks. Have to get car hauled back to mechanic. Over the next year car has a clutch failure that is blamed on the torque tube and not covered by warranty, 3 oil pressure spikes blamed on oil pressure relief valve and sleeve in block. Get car fixed and ready for the road. Make little road trip and car runs OK. Take to work the next week and the car breaks the timing belt again pulling out of the parkade. Original shop says probably my fault but says will look at it. I suggest having a second mechanic there verify findings. I end up taking to dealership and invite original mechanic to come watch. Original mechanic refuses to come to dealership. Find out it was a workmanship problem that caused failure. Now have bent valve on cylinder #2. Original mechanic refuses to warranty so must get fixed and then take legal action. Car currently in garage not running. Have put on approx 15000 miles in last 3 years. Estimate having over $30k invested in car. Friend who was rebuilding his own 944 Turbo engine the same time as mine was getting done has had very few problems and got the entire job done for around $4000. Lesson learned......do it yourself if you want it done right.

Bought 914 widebody off e-bay. Accumlating parts and considering engine choices. Considering different shops to get car built. Friends remind me that money lost so far in car projects would have bought me a used Viper. Decide to rebuild 914 myself to get it done right. Lesson learned.

They say misery loves company. Feeling better now?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
redshift   Confidence is building   Jan 5 2004, 01:57 PM
!   Buy a turn key motor from Raby or gasp.....Bergman...   Jan 5 2004, 02:01 PM
redshift   I bought one. This is number 2, only has around 11...   Jan 5 2004, 02:16 PM
rick 918-S   <...   Jan 5 2004, 02:26 PM
redshift   I've been driving used original cars, and save...   Jan 5 2004, 02:46 PM
Mueller  
  Jan 5 2004, 03:15 PM
redshift   I won't give up, completely, I am just coming ...   Jan 5 2004, 03:28 PM
nebreitling     Jan 5 2004, 06:18 PM
ChrisReale   Miles, you need to look at every piece if FI and ...   Jan 5 2004, 07:18 PM
redshift   The harness checks out fine. The numbers on everyt...   Jan 5 2004, 07:52 PM
boxsterfan   redshift, my motto is that it is only money and yo...   Jan 5 2004, 08:29 PM
ChrisReale   Dood, what symptoms are you experiencing? Does yo...   Jan 5 2004, 08:46 PM
Gint   Hey Miles, Go look at the first three pages of my...   Jan 5 2004, 08:47 PM
redshift   I'm just paranoid Chris. I hope. It runs ok, t...   Jan 5 2004, 09:20 PM
rick 918-S   I think your looking at this thing with blinders o...   Jan 5 2004, 09:47 PM
redshift   Thanks so much Rich, this place is more about mora...   Jan 5 2004, 10:02 PM
rick 918-S   I hear ya brada! I just went through the same ...   Jan 6 2004, 12:00 AM
rhodyguy   my feeble opinion. i have no car payments and hope...   Jan 6 2004, 09:53 AM
!   <...   Jan 6 2004, 09:56 AM
redshift   Plug and Pray!? :o I dunno, thought about ...   Jan 6 2004, 11:39 AM
Hawktel   We need a Self abuse Smilie for Miles. Miles I th...   Jan 6 2004, 01:29 PM
redshift   Can't today, but I can next month??? Guitars ...   Jan 6 2004, 01:57 PM
soloracer   If it makes you feel any better here are my curren...   Jan 6 2004, 01:59 PM
redshift   Hey, you sound almost just like me.. :stfu: :) ...   Jan 6 2004, 02:08 PM
Air_Cooled_Nut   ...   Jan 6 2004, 03:17 PM
soloracer   I find that I had to take a break from the cars fo...   Jan 6 2004, 06:35 PM
redshift   Oh well... back to zero confidence. This really s...   Jan 6 2004, 11:48 PM
RON S.   Hey Miles, Wanna talk about a money pit? At ...   Jan 7 2004, 08:21 AM
redshift   :idea: You've been messing with my car, have...   Jan 7 2004, 08:27 AM
seanery   I've got a money pit. Project started in 99 wh...   Jan 7 2004, 08:38 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 01:41 PM