Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> trans Mount: This does not look right., 914-6 conversion not right
bfrymire
post Oct 5 2008, 08:19 PM
Post #1

Salsaholic

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,431
Region Association: Northern California

Attached ImageHello All,

I have a 914-6 conversion that I bought from someone. Well, looking at the rear trans mount, it's off the posts. This does not look right. Any ideas of whta is wrong and what I need to do to correct. (this does not look safe.) The engine appears to be mounted in the correct place and everything else looks ok. I am thinking that the rear mount is the wrong one???

Here's a pic.

I really hope someone can point me in the right direction.

-- brett
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
r_towle
post Oct 6 2008, 11:36 AM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

This can be tricky but it can be done with ease if your careful.
If you remove the shifter bar it will make it easier. That will bind.

On jack stands.
Put a block of wood on a floor jack and put it under the motor, but only about a third of the way from the tranny....trying to center the weight of the whole package. make sure the wheels on the jack face forward...

Jack up the jack to relieve the wieght of the motor, but dont take on the weight of the car...let that stay on the jack stands.

Remove the front splash tray underneath the steering and gas tank.
Wrap a good strap around the cross member and attach a come along to that. One the other end, you want to grab the tranny at the rear...its tough to describe but put a strap around the rear of the tranny up and over the muffler bracket so all the force will be on the tranny itself.

Now attach a come along between these two strap and gently cinch it tight...you really dont need a whole lot of pulling power, you are sliding the motor and tranny forward....it really is gentle and wont bend anything it you put the straps in the right place and dont pinch anything..
Use blocks of wood between all the straps and the bottom of the car/tranny/motor etc.

A few clicks and it will pull forward again..then tighten it all back up.
Try to get the motor/tranny square to the lower firewall..it makes shifting alot better if the whole package is square and it can easily be put in not square.

rich
+Quote Post
736conver
post Oct 6 2008, 12:37 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Member No.: 736
Region Association: None

QUOTE(r_towle @ Oct 6 2008, 12:36 PM) *

This can be tricky but it can be done with ease if your careful.
If you remove the shifter bar it will make it easier. That will bind.

On jack stands.
Put a block of wood on a floor jack and put it under the motor, but only about a third of the way from the tranny....trying to center the weight of the whole package. make sure the wheels on the jack face forward...

Jack up the jack to relieve the wieght of the motor, but dont take on the weight of the car...let that stay on the jack stands.

Remove the front splash tray underneath the steering and gas tank.
Wrap a good strap around the cross member and attach a come along to that. One the other end, you want to grab the tranny at the rear...its tough to describe but put a strap around the rear of the tranny up and over the muffler bracket so all the force will be on the tranny itself.

Now attach a come along between these two strap and gently cinch it tight...you really dont need a whole lot of pulling power, you are sliding the motor and tranny forward....it really is gentle and wont bend anything it you put the straps in the right place and dont pinch anything..
Use blocks of wood between all the straps and the bottom of the car/tranny/motor etc.

A few clicks and it will pull forward again..then tighten it all back up.
Try to get the motor/tranny square to the lower firewall..it makes shifting alot better if the whole package is square and it can easily be put in not square.

rich

Ahh dont do the above until you find out the problem, not finding the cause first is a recipe for disaster.

I think its your front mount for your converted six that is causing the problem.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
bfrymire   trans Mount: This does not look right.   Oct 5 2008, 08:19 PM
sww914   I'd be looking at the front some more to see w...   Oct 5 2008, 08:40 PM
bfrymire   I'd be looking at the front some more to see ...   Oct 5 2008, 09:22 PM
sww914   Also that big cup washer doesn't belong there.   Oct 5 2008, 08:41 PM
davep   :agree: The engine has to be in the wrong place.   Oct 5 2008, 09:18 PM
Dr Evil   The cup goes on top with the dish facing down. The...   Oct 5 2008, 09:29 PM
bfrymire   The cup goes on top with the dish facing down. Th...   Oct 5 2008, 09:33 PM
sww914   That's what this place is for! Steve   Oct 5 2008, 10:29 PM
bfrymire   That's what this place is for! Steve T...   Oct 6 2008, 12:27 AM
r_towle   This can be tricky but it can be done with ease if...   Oct 6 2008, 11:36 AM
736conver   This can be tricky but it can be done with ease i...   Oct 6 2008, 12:37 PM
Root_Werks   Rich mentioned something important. If someone ju...   Oct 6 2008, 12:38 PM
bfrymire   Rich mentioned something important. If someone j...   Nov 2 2008, 06:34 PM
SirAndy   So, I am wondering if this is a homemade engine c...   Nov 2 2008, 06:44 PM
bfrymire   So, I am wondering if this is a homemade engine ...   Nov 2 2008, 06:48 PM
bfrymire   So, I am wondering if this is a homemade engine ...   Nov 2 2008, 06:57 PM
bfrymire   Another.   Nov 2 2008, 06:58 PM
bfrymire   Yet another   Nov 2 2008, 06:59 PM
bfrymire   Last one (for now.)   Nov 2 2008, 07:00 PM
Dave_Darling   Yeah, that's an aftermarket mount. The proble...   Nov 2 2008, 08:25 PM
bfrymire   Yeah, that's an aftermarket mount. The probl...   Nov 2 2008, 08:33 PM
ericread   Yeah, that's an aftermarket mount. The probl...   Nov 2 2008, 08:41 PM
GeorgeRud   That looks like a home-made front engine mount. I...   Nov 2 2008, 09:45 PM
bfrymire   That looks like a home-made front engine mount. ...   Nov 2 2008, 10:49 PM
SirAndy   I switched to a Rich Johnson mount. I second the ...   Nov 2 2008, 11:06 PM
morgan_harwell   Also check with Bieker Engineering/WerksII to see ...   Nov 3 2008, 12:33 PM
bfrymire   Also check with Bieker Engineering/WerksII to see...   Nov 3 2008, 08:09 PM
morgan_harwell   I just called Bieker Enginering, the guy there sai...   Nov 4 2008, 10:49 AM
Phoenix 914-6GT   You should consider that with the age of our cars,...   Nov 4 2008, 11:41 AM
Wilhelm   You should consider that with the age of our cars...   Nov 5 2008, 06:47 PM
pete-stevers   i like my Rich johnson mount, i think most guys wi...   Nov 4 2008, 05:23 PM
morgan_harwell   Without question the RJ/6 mount is excellent. Much...   Nov 4 2008, 06:14 PM
Justinp71   Also check to see if they used some funky adapter ...   Nov 4 2008, 07:07 PM
Al Meredith   I think Renagade makes a V8 conversion rear mount ...   Nov 5 2008, 06:34 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 11:23 AM