Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Another leakdown testing question
rtalich
post Oct 16 2008, 03:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,913
Region Association: None

Connecting air to the tool and setting the pressure so that the first gauge reads 100psi BEFORE connecting to the cylinder. When I do connect to the cylinder, the pressure drops a bit. Do I re-adjust back up to 100psi before taking my % reading?

Thanks,
Rob
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
DNHunt
post Oct 17 2008, 06:06 PM
Post #2

914 Wizard? No way. I got too much to learn.

Group: Members
Member No.: 598

A leakdown test tells you how much air is leaking out of a cylinder. It uses a regulator to set a pressure of ~100psi annd a second gauge to read the pressure after the whole thing is connected to a hose screwed into the spark plug hole. The second gauge is usually calibrated in % so something close to 100 percent would indicate a catastrophic failure. A new engine will have a really low leakdown number. This is usually done a warmed up engine at TDC.

It can be useful to help find where a cylinder is loosing pressure also. If a person hears air hissing when you put your ear at the oil filler it suggests blowby and poorly sealing rings. Hissing from the intake suggests a problem with the intake valve, noise from the exhaust, the exhaust valve. Bad head leaks can sometimes be heard. It helps to pinpoint problems.

Dave

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 03:54 AM