Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tranny cleaning, Want to shine mine up!
IanStott
post Oct 9 2006, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,199

I'm sure I am not the only one who has cleaned a few pounds of grease off their transmission. Have new flywheel etc., just wondering if anyone has a relatively easy way to make the transmission look presentable, it doesn't have to gleam like it has been chromed but nicer than the dullness I have now would be good!

Ian Stott
Moncton
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Katmanken
post Nov 28 2008, 10:23 AM
Post #2

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Group: Members
Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Magnesium does corrode and pit and doesn't do well with salt.

But, magnesium can be protected with a coating of zinc.

Zinc chromate is on my tranny.... It's a paint used a lot by the aircraft industries on aluminum parts as a protectorant and as an anti-corrosion coating. Some versions can be fairly hard.

It's usually a funky green or a bright yellow and can add a little bling to the underside of your car. Or add a little silver paint to hide the protective coating

I really have to wonder why people want to have shiny trannys... Darned things can't bee seen from the top of the car, and usually involve lifting the car to see. Wanting bling is a lot less important to me than keeping the 30+ year old parts protected from corrosion.

It just makes me wonder if there are really people with shiney transmissions and mirrors on their shoes... I can envision one now using their mirrored shoes to look up under the car to admire their shiney transmissions..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Me, I got a better use for mirrors on shoes... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

KennyWonderingwhohasmirrorsontheirshoes
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 03:12 AM