Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> trans gearing ?'s
ottox914
post Dec 31 2008, 10:37 AM
Post #1

The glory that once was.

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,438
Region Association: Upper MidWest

OK, here's what I know, and would like to know. Our 901 has a 2nd gear that can't be changed w/out alot of $$$. If I want a shorter 3rd gear, the shade tree method would be to "flip" a 5th gear set.

If I want a taller 5th gear, would a "flipped' 3rd gear in the 5th gear location be taller than the factory 5th gear, and calm things down on the highway at 80 mph?

Yes, it might make for some odd gear spacing, I'll have to think hard about that as well, but as the car is mainly an auto x toy, the short 3rd would be nice, and a taller 5th for the trip to and from the events would be welcome, although the 3,4,5 spacing might not be so good for a track day.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
sww914
post Dec 31 2008, 11:40 AM
Post #2

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,146
Region Association: None

The ZD 5th gear in the 914-4 trannies is the highest 5th that Porsche made for 901's. That's the one that people flip around for a KA 3rd which is almost like an M 3rd. The 914-6 5th is a ZA which is even lower. If you want a higher 5th you'll need bigger OD tires or a different ring and pinion and either will make all of your existing gears seem higher. There might be aftermarket 901 gears available at some point, I head a rumor that a tranny parts manufacturer will be producing brand new gears for us in '09 but I don't think that they'll be cheap, nothing is except Top Ramen.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 06:03 AM