Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Help rear wheel bearing whine
js2bugu
post Mar 17 2008, 02:41 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,977

I just noticed a Rear bearing whine drivers side when I turn the wheel right.
Question is how long can I run with this bearing 10 miles, 1000 miles?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Adam
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Cap'n Krusty
post Apr 6 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #2

Cap'n Krusty

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

Yes, the stub axle has to come out. Yes, the hub has to come out. Spray the stub axle as best you can with a good penetrant. It goes out inward. DO NOT hammer on it unless the nut is in place to protect the threads! The hub knocks out from the back, and it can be pretty reluctant to move. It usually brings the outside inner race with it. You then remove the 4 bolts holding the bearing cover in place. After that, you knock the bearing out. The inner side inner race should still be there, and that's what you hit using a large drift...... The new bearing should be drawn in with some sort of screw device. If you can't do that, you MUST hit ONLY the outer race! Once it's in, reinstall the bearing cover. After that, you draw the hub in using a screw device, and applying pressure on both the hub and THE INNER RACE of the bearing. ONLY the INNER RACE!. If you don't, or if you try to pound it together, you'll most likely destroy your new bearing. If you've paid attention, you'll probably do just fine. Good luck! The Cap'n
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 08:28 PM