Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Headlight "pseudo" HID conversion, advice about these headlights
pat4
post Jan 29 2004, 04:04 AM
Post #1

Philippe

Group: Members
Member No.: 570

Hi all,

My H4 headlights are 30 years old and of course the reflector is not in good shape. As 914 lights are not really efficient at the base, you can understand that now night driving is a nightmare ...

So I can buy the same new H4 headlamp, but or ...
... things like "7' HID Composite Conversion Kit" we can find on eBay (example HERE)

They are cheaper than glass headlamps, but the main question is about their efficiency. Are these things better than conventional H4 glass headlamp ?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
fiid
post Jan 29 2004, 04:02 PM
Post #2

Turbo Megasquirted Subaru Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 530
Region Association: Northern California

I have the Sylvania "Cool blue" lights in my car. They are nothing special. I have been told that the Sylvania "Silverstar" bulbs are pretty cool, and make a significant difference.

HID is hard (you need a ballast transformer, and the set up costs about $600 - $1000), plus it is almost certainly illegal. I reckon a kit is doable with HID mounted in the turn signal pockets at the front of a 914, and with a glass panel over the top, but I haven't seen anyone who's actually done it. I may do it when I retire from professional life, but that's looking like it's more than 3 years away at the rate things are going at the moment.

When I had my spitfire (also has 7" sealed beams) - I had a halogen 80/100Watt setup (this was in the UK). This is certainly illegal in the US. These things were freakin awesome. If a deer jumps out in front of you, you have a real chance that it will be medium rare by the time you are in biting distance. Also, they will fully illuminate a freeway sign on dip at about 500 yards. I highly recommend this. I justify it to myself by saying that the 914 is lower than most cars, and almost everything else on the road is a 2 ton SUV whose driver is watching TV, and has HID lights pointing straight into my cockpit. I call it self defense.

For a slightly more legal solution I would go with the 55/100 bulbs that are available. These look normal on dip, but you can cook just about anything by going up to brights.

Can someone write about putting fatty bulbs in the stock foglights on a 1973 914?? I have new seals (Thanks Quarl), but have tey to rebuild them and make them bright.

Thanks,

Fiid.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 04:51 PM