Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> No spark?, not sure what to check
biosurfer1
post Apr 27 2009, 10:49 PM
Post #1

Teener fo Life!

Group: Members
Member No.: 977
Region Association: Northern California

I tried to get my new engine going for a couple hours tonight and it just cranks, no fire.

Got fuel to the carbs, but no spark at the plugs (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Checked the coil and I get 12V off each side to ground, is this correct?

What is next in the diagnosis...what else can I check?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Katmanken
post Apr 28 2009, 07:49 AM
Post #2

You haven't seen me if anybody asks...

Group: Members
Member No.: 819
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If you have the stock system, remove the distributor cap.

Connect one end of a test lamp on the negative (point side) of the coil and the other to ground. Crank the engine and if you get a pulsing light, the points and coil are working.

If the light stays ON or stays OFF during cranking, then the problem is not the coil and you need to look elsewhere- such as the points and condenser.

Put the test lamp across the positive and the negative terminals of the coil. Have somebody crank the engine over, If it pulses, then this means there is 12 v to the + and - terminals, and the points and condenser are working.

Look at the points, if they spark when opening and closing, you probably have a bad condenser.

Put the cap back on. If you still have no spark, then either the coil is bad or one or more of the coil wire and/or spark plug wires are shot.

Hope this helps.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 06:16 AM