Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Creamsicle, Sail trim
13b914
post Apr 27 2009, 07:58 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,963
Region Association: None

I have seen a few creamsicles through the years and thought they all had black sail trim. Their is a creamsicle on ebay right now with chrome sail trim. Which is correct or did they come both ways?

Chad
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
JeffBowlsby
post May 2 2009, 08:43 AM
Post #2

914 Wiring Harnesses

Member No.: 104

We concur with your guess on the Fuchs for VIN 21331...we think they were changed at the dealer, but will never be able to confirm.

Not sure where the window stickers originate...my guess is that they are created and installed by the importer, after the receiving dealer was known.

It is not presented clearly on the website yet, but PCNA recently informed us what they are told from Porsche PAG (Germany) constitutes an authentic 914 Can Am car (LE). It must have both these items in their records:

1. Paint code either U1 (Black/Sunflower Yellow) or U2 (Light Ivory/Phoenix Red) which were unique 914 paint codes to the 1974-only model year. The Karmann plate would indicate the base color as the standard paint code (L04I thats the letter 'i' not the number one) or L80E.

2. Optional equipment package M-778 which apparently is a group of the otherwise optional equipment items - Front spoiler, console, sway bars etc. Germany has not been able to state specifically which components are in the M-778 package, but they are listed on the 8 identical window stickers we have for the LE cars.

With VIN 21331 and the other two cars on the registry with VINs higher than 16764, these cars have the paint code, but not the M-778 equipment according to PCNA records. The puzzling thing about VIN 21331 is that it is one of the best documented 914s anywhere, and the window sticker indicates it has the correct equipment for an LE. So the PCNA records and the actual car are in conflict. PCNA tells us that there are actually many late VIN cars that have the paint code, but not the M-778, up to and including the very last 1974 model year car built, VIN 21379. Pretty interesting huh...

I would not be too concerned about the stripe installation. The stripes were all dealer installed even though they were provided by the facotory, so they will all be installed differently. Ed Morrow and others who worked at the dealerships at the time these cars were delivered, informed us that the cars were shipped covered in Cosmoline to prevent corrosion in transit...which had to be removed during dealer prep, then the stripes were installed. No wonder there is no consistency in how they were installed.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
MDG
post May 2 2009, 09:52 AM
Post #3

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018

QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ May 2 2009, 10:43 AM) *

With VIN 21331 and the other two cars on the registry with VINs higher than 16764, these cars have the paint code, but not the M-778 equipment according to PCNA records. The puzzling thing about VIN 21331 is that it is one of the best documented 914s anywhere, and the window sticker indicates it has the correct equipment for an LE. So the PCNA records and the actual car are in conflict. PCNA tells us that there are actually many late VIN cars that have the paint code, but not the M-778, up to and including the very last 1974 model year car built, VIN 21379. Pretty interesting huh...

Thanks for that, and I've visited the LE site many times; Kudos!

And yes, your above quote is interesting and I wonder if, after the official 'Limited' run of LEs was finished, did the factory squeeze out a few more to fulfill orders by pulling and modifying fully optioned cars off the line and simply adding the paint to the bumpers and rockers, put a spoiler on and stick a stripe kit in the trunk?

If so, does this not water down the true Limited nature of these cars? Let's face it, it's not the mechanical options on the LEs that make them unique; the '73 2.0 I drove in the 80's and the one I own now have all the same options - technically they have a few more: chrome bumpers, vinyl and chrome sails. So it's really the cosmetic options that differ these from a factory, fully optioned 2.0 liter. If that is in fact what happened, what makes this car different from a dealership (or even a buyer) taking a Light Ivory '74 and doing the same thing?

Oh, I did know about the stripe application being done at the dealer by the way; all discussions need a devil's advocate sometimes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

And again, I do not dispute this car was bought new this way; my queries are based on my simplified acceptance of what constitutes a factory 'Limited Edition' 914. What I have learned from your site: the basics - two tone paint, spoiler, painted Mahles, no chrome, no sail vinyl on an otherwise fully optioned 2.0 liter. By definition if the factory themselves were to alter that, is the 'Limited' aspect not diminished? Opinions?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th June 2024 - 09:00 PM