Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> '75-'76 FI Fuel Pump in '74 Location, Any Problems Putting it There??
AvalonFal
post Jun 9 2009, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,367
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'm going to replace the original '74 3 port fuel pump with a '75-76 2 port model in the original stock location on the body under the R/S engine tin. As long as the flow rate and the operating pressure are sufficient, are there any operational problems putting it there?? How about mounting??

I know these pumps "push" fuel better than suction, but I don't want to relocate it to the front trunk. (I'm also trying to avoid buying a China rebuilt 3 port.)

All help appreciated.

Paul

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
r_towle
post Jun 9 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

What size is the two port pump inlet hoses?
I recall one of them is some huge size like 12mm or something...I cant remember, but I recall it was not an easy hose to bend without kinking, so It had to be cut the right length.

all that blather wont apply to this setup, but the hose size and the need for some adapter would apply...

I found a delco pump that was half the price of the Bosch (sorry Capn) pump and it fit perfectly and was at the same specs.

The pump, from what I recall, needs to produce 65PSI...that is the original spec. I cant remember the GPH number, but its not small.

I went to my local FLAPS and he pulled out the pump book. We looked up the Bosch pump and read the specs, then looked around for others.
Volvo, mercedes, and several others used this type of pump.

Rich
+Quote Post
Cap'n Krusty
post Jun 9 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #3

Cap'n Krusty

Member No.: 2,246
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 9 2009, 04:34 PM) *

What size is the two port pump inlet hoses?
I recall one of them is some huge size like 12mm or something...I cant remember, but I recall it was not an easy hose to bend without kinking, so It had to be cut the right length.

all that blather wont apply to this setup, but the hose size and the need for some adapter would apply...

I found a delco pump that was half the price of the Bosch (sorry Capn) pump and it fit perfectly and was at the same specs.

The pump, from what I recall, needs to produce 65PSI...that is the original spec. I cant remember the GPH number, but its not small.

I went to my local FLAPS and he pulled out the pump book. We looked up the Bosch pump and read the specs, then looked around for others.
Volvo, mercedes, and several others used this type of pump.

Rich

The 12 mm line goes from the filter to the pump. The filter uses the same adapter/reducer hose as the earlier filter. The pump outlet is the same size as the outlet of the early 3 port pump. The brackets are the same, too, but you have to remove the push-on electrical connectors from their plug in order to plug in the pump. Where's the difficulty? Yes, there are Delco and other brands of pumps that'll work, and that's OK with me. I just choose to go the easy route, one that I have to do NO research, no shopping, and very little adaptation. The Volvo and Mercedes D jet systems used a similar, if not the same, 3 port pump, and they're equally unavailable. I don't believe either maker used L-jet.

The Cap'n
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th June 2024 - 01:50 AM