Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> WOT - Going legit? Advise for doing a sole proprietorship, Why does it cost so damn much?
Dr Evil
post Jun 23 2009, 03:28 PM
Post #1

Send me your transmission!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,372
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I am looking into doing a sole proprietorship and the cost to start one is more than I expected (about $400). Anyone have resources to offer or info?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
r_towle
post Jun 23 2009, 04:46 PM
Post #2

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Ah yes...taxes.

A C corp provides ZERO protection for a 100% owner.
It does come with the business tax....so you pay twice for the money you recieve...once for the C corp..then you pay again on your individual taxes...worst way to go tax wise (ever)
The only reason for a C corp today is if you plan to list on the stock exchange, or sell shares.

S corp was designed to eliminate the double taxation issue...it worked for a bit, but the fed and state Corp fees are still to high so it never was a great idea.

The new flavor of the day is an LLC/LLP. It also provides flow through taxing so you wont be double taxed on the business revenue. It still gives you a vehicle to write off business expenses and obtain an EIN number.
The LLC also allows you to include partners in the LLC by selling units (basically shares, but not) and you can give them away..(you cannot do that in a corp...loads of rules) so its not as complicated as a corp...way less fees and can be done fairly quickly and cheap. The LLC is still being tested, but its the wild west right now...you can make up your own rules for the LLC, legally and its how it is done.

I would suggest an LLC, its cheaper and provides a better tax setup than a sole proprietorship at the end of the day...you can write off more of your expenses.

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st May 2024 - 08:25 PM