Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Kirkey seats anyone useing them?
rfuerst911sc
post Nov 3 2008, 07:42 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

This past weekend I picked up a Kirkey 09200 seat for $20.00 without the cover. For the money I couldn't pass on it as I may use this in the 914 for AX and DE's. So any of you guys using these? If yes how did you install them? I believe Kirkey says NOT to use sliders? Any pics of installs? I figure if I don't install it in the 914 I can always display it in the " man room ". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Richard Casto
post Aug 24 2009, 01:02 PM
Post #2

Blue Sky Motorsports, LLC

Member No.: 4,523
Region Association: South East States

I am 6'5" and had considered getting the Kirkey Intermediate seat due to the ability to mount very low. Some people love aluminum seats (such as Kirkey) and others hate them. I suspect it's mostly just a personal comfort issue. Ideally you should sit in any seat before you buy it to make sure you like how it feels.

Two extra points…

First, I suspect that if you plan to use a Kirkey at a track event or for racing that you will need a back support. This is because I believe that many (most? all?) sanctioning bodies require a back brace to be in place on any seat that is not either OEM or has FIA certification. I don’t think any of the Kirkey seats are FIA certified and am pretty sure the cheaper ones are not. I also can’t imagine how a back brace for a non-FIA seat will work with seat sliders (as for the back brace to work the seat need to be in a fixed position). I didn’t want the extra cost and hassle of the back brace so I went with a composite FIA seat which while more expensive should be able to be mounted as low as the Kirkey. But I am sure you can mount and use a Kirkey safely.

Second, again if you are planning on this for a track car, I don’t know if the group you run with has an “equal protection” rule for instructors. The idea being that both the driver and passenger have equally good safety equipment. They don’t have to be identical and what is considered to be “equal” can be debated, but Puff Adder above may eventually run into an instructor who may not want to ride in his car with that drag seat. Point being I think you should consider having two equal seats (such as same level of side impact protection) if you plan to have an instructor in your car.
+Quote Post
tomeric914
post Aug 24 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #3

One Lap of America in a 914!

Member No.: 9,101
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Aug 24 2009, 03:02 PM) *

I am 6'5" and had considered getting the Kirkey Intermediate seat due to the ability to mount very low. Some people love aluminum seats (such as Kirkey) and others hate them. I suspect it's mostly just a personal comfort issue. Ideally you should sit in any seat before you buy it to make sure you like how it feels.

Richard, what seat did you go with and how did you fit it in? I checked your blog, but didn't see any details there.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 12:57 AM