Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Model Specific Information

914/4: 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 914/6: 70 71 72

> Chip - 20 years old, Can't stand it any longer
Pat Garvey
post Sep 29 2009, 07:50 PM
Post #1

Do I or don't I...........?

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,765
Region Association: North East States

I have ONR chip in my paint - ONE! It's been there since I dropped a screwriver in the 80's. Rest of the paint is perfect.

I'm looking for something that doesn't require a brush, since I am known to be sloppy.

Concerned about compatability, since my paint was put on in 1979, and is a poly-razzmataze paint of the era. Clear coated too. Paint was a Glssurit compound. Could look it up, but just wondering. There are "pens" out there, but I don't want them bleeding/bubbling what I have.

Suggestions?
Pat
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
scotty b
post Sep 29 2009, 08:02 PM
Post #2

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419
Region Association: None

Go to the local paint supplier, get a half pint of the correct color for the car, using a toothpick, get just enough on the end to ball up, place the drip on the chip and let it sit till it starts to set up. Do this until the chip is higher than the surrounding paint. Let the car sit for a couple days. NOW you can start to wet sand the spot with 1500-2000 grit. Use a hard block so you are just knocking off the top of the buldge, eventually it will sand down level and you can lightly buff it. Won't match exactly, but unless you want to take it in for the whole panel to be shot........ that is your best bet
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 2 2009, 07:48 PM
Post #3

QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 29 2009, 08:02 PM) *

Go to the local paint supplier, get a half pint of the correct color for the car, using a toothpick, get just enough on the end to ball up, place the drip on the chip and let it sit till it starts to set up. Do this until the chip is higher than the surrounding paint. Let the car sit for a couple days. NOW you can start to wet sand the spot with 1500-2000 grit. Use a hard block so you are just knocking off the top of the buldge, eventually it will sand down level and you can lightly buff it. Won't match exactly, but unless you want to take it in for the whole panel to be shot........ that is your best bet

Ya know Scotty, I did that same thing with my blutorange 73 T, back in '93. Cost a few bucks too (Glasurit). But my T had lotsa chips in the nose. Still have the can - rock hard!

No, I have ONE friggen chip. It's about 1/64th of an inch and round - down to primer. I don't want to spend $50 for a pint, when all I need is a drop!

I also have to be very careful because I clear coated the paint in '79, so I don't want to start oxidation of surrounding areas.

Should probably just live with it, but it's an imperfection.
Pat
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Oct 2 2009, 08:33 PM
Post #4

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

[quote name='Pat Garvey' date='Oct 2 2009, 06:48 PM' post='1221311']
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 29 2009, 08:02 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

Pat
[/quote]

Pat - that primer will allow in moisture to start a rust spot under the paint if left unpainted, especially if you take it on that around the US tour, in weather locally, etc.

We just went thru that on paint chips left unfixed on the `88 Honda Civic which my wife/kids inherited from a relative. Most tiny to large chips ended up with rust on the sheet metal under the primer, & tons of sanding & re-priming for us! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Don't leave "your baby" as is, & you should check to make sure there isn't rust already under the old primer. If you sand off the primer under the chip, then you can also get a primer pen there).
+Quote Post
Pat Garvey
post Oct 3 2009, 07:28 PM
Post #5

[quote name='Tom_T' date='Oct 2 2009, 08:33 PM' post='1221330']
[quote name='Pat Garvey' date='Oct 2 2009, 06:48 PM' post='1221311']
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Sep 29 2009, 08:02 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

Pat
[/quote]

Pat - that primer will allow in moisture to start a rust spot under the paint if left unpainted, especially if you take it on that around the US tour, in weather locally, etc.

We just went thru that on paint chips left unfixed on the `88 Honda Civic which my wife/kids inherited from a relative. Most tiny to large chips ended up with rust on the sheet metal under the primer, & tons of sanding & re-priming for us! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Don't leave "your baby" as is, & you should check to make sure there isn't rust already under the old primer. If you sand off the primer under the chip, then you can also get a primer pen there).
[/quote]
I hear what you're saying, but I'm a little "off the curve".
My 914 hasn't seen H20 in 25 years - no joke! Hasn't beeen "washed" since the 89 Parade in Traverse City. The screwdriver did its damage after.

So, let me get this straight & correct me if Im wrong. I should remove a piece of paint from somewhere on my 914 (like under that mats, where it's original), send the chip to this outfit they will provide me with a touchup "thingie". Right? Feel free to comment here.

But.....the paint under tha mats has never been subjected to radiant oxidation. Not a good sample to send.

So, should I make a new chip from the same area to send them........or, should they simply refer to the formula for bahia red paint?

Why are we making this complicated?
Pat
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Pat Garvey   Chip - 20 years old   Sep 29 2009, 07:50 PM
Tom_T   I have ONR chip in my paint - ONE! It's ...   Sep 29 2009, 08:01 PM
Pat Garvey   I have ONR chip in my paint - ONE! It's...   Oct 2 2009, 07:33 PM
Tom_T   [quote name='Tom_T' post='1220090' date='Sep 29 2...   Oct 2 2009, 08:27 PM
scotty b   Go to the local paint supplier, get a half pint of...   Sep 29 2009, 08:02 PM
Tom_T   B)-->
QUOTE(scotty b @ S...   Sep 29 2009, 08:10 PM
sendjonathanmail   B)-->
QUOTE(scotty b @ S...   Sep 29 2009, 08:31 PM
Pat Garvey   B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOT...   Oct 2 2009, 07:55 PM
Pat Garvey   B)-->
QUOTE(scotty b @ S...   Oct 2 2009, 07:48 PM
Tom_T   B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOT...   Oct 2 2009, 08:33 PM
ghuff   Make sure it dries and matches.......... They mi...   Sep 29 2009, 09:31 PM
Tom_T   Make sure it dries and matches.......... They m...   Sep 30 2009, 12:54 AM
ghuff   Make sure it dries and matches.......... They ...   Sep 30 2009, 09:38 PM
Tom_T   [quote name='Tom_T' post='1220165...   Oct 1 2009, 12:54 AM
9146986   I like this! http://www.langka.com   Sep 30 2009, 07:06 AM
Ferg   I'm lucky enough to have a Sherwin Williams Au...   Sep 30 2009, 09:52 AM
9146986   The Langka product is to smooth the blob you get f...   Oct 1 2009, 08:10 AM
Tom_T   The Langka product is to smooth the blob you get ...   Oct 1 2009, 03:16 PM
Tom_T   Okay Pat - lets try the KISS approach first..... ...   Oct 3 2009, 09:35 PM
scotty b   Pat the car is opbviously beyond repair at this po...   Oct 8 2009, 07:46 PM
Pat Garvey   B)-->

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 07:44 AM