Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How do you get access to the valves?
jschaible
post Nov 5 2009, 11:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,870
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Newbie question:
How do you actually get access into the valves on my 1.8L? I 've set valves on other cars many times before, but I can't figure out how you get into the (heavily obscured) valve covers!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
detoxcowboy
post Nov 5 2009, 11:21 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

it is tight but doable, i used a long screwdriver to assist pry pop back the bales as the cramped area does not allow for much more than finger strength. Once you adj. your valves a couple times you will get comfortable with the limited space, sometimes I loosed the j pipes (heater pieces going up through the engine tin) so I can do a reach around when adj. the appropriate valves that side closet to the pipes. I would get up in there once before you buy any "special" tools as not all valve adj. tools are going to have room in that limited space. Pelican Parts. com has a tech article there but I personally do not use the drive it up on ramps then wait to get cold again, I just jack up in the dirty driveway the side I am doing, patience is the key as your saving some money anyways, have some coffee down there or even a burrito resting above you on your heat exchanger and do it slow w/ low frustration. Ipod what ever it takes.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drunk.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th June 2024 - 07:23 AM