Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Mary Shortridge 914 Fundraiser Post, Second Draft Added
EdwardBlume
post Oct 19 2009, 09:00 AM
Post #1

914 Wizard

Group: Members
Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

****DRAFT ***************

Many of you have followed the progress of the Mary Shortridge 914 in Kansas this year. Thank you to everyone who has contributed large and small. It's hard not to be inspired by her mission.

Mary and her family's efforts have been to restore a rusty '72 1.7 to daily driver condition, as a tribute to her late brother Lee who owned and loved the car for over 10 years (????). Lee held a special place in his heart for his 914, as many of us do. Unfortunately, his life ended too early in a car accident during a time of supporting his family. From what Mary has told us, he was an extraordinary man.

Since his death, his car had continued to deteriorate significantly. Mary and her family decided to rebuild his 914, with a purpose of keeping his spirit alive. She had no idea it would be such an extensive and expensive task, but to her surprise, many of us 914 world members have joined her quest.

Today, we are asking for donations and volunteers to make the final push both in dollars and muscle.

We have a final list of parts needed, and we are looking to assemble a team of volunteers to decend on a small town in Kansas to get it done.

Your donation will go towards the last remaining parts, supporting a qualified Porsche mechanic to be flown in to oversee the safe reassembly, and to FINISH the restoration.

Donantions can be made by Paypal. PM RobW for details.

Thank you for being a part of this 914world community and lending a hand.

*********** DRAFT ***************
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
rick 918-S
post Nov 14 2009, 11:09 PM
Post #2

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

Second post: Draft

Many of you were introduced to Mary Shortridge when she posted in the garage looking to our community for help in navigating through a restoration of her brothers 914.

After reading her post I felt it would be most helpful if someone could meet with her and inventory what she had and help her with identifying what she would need to get her project finished.

I'm sure by now everyone here has read my post requesting one or more of our 914 community to come to her aid and make the trek to Garden City. I'm not surprised by what happened over the next several weeks but I am thankful and humbled by the out pouring of help from Mike Moorman, Carrie Sweet and her dad Allen. They all made a long trip to Garden City and brought back a list of parts Mary would need to complete the car. I can't thank them enough. In addition to Mike, Carrie and Allens offer to help, our community started offering parts even in advance of their trip! My simple request in that post took on a life of it's own. Not unbelievable for this group but unexpected at the time.

Since then Mike has been a driving force with this 914 event. From putting up a web site to constantly monitoring the parts offering and traveling to meet with Mary as progress was made along the way. We have had generous offering after generous offering from vendors Like Jeff Bowlsby and members from every part of this country. Our own Dr. Evil flew in and extended his stay to meet Mary and Mike and rebuild Buttercups transaxle.

Many of us wanted to help but didn't have worthy used or new parts laying around to offer. Well here's our chance to make a difference in the life of Mary and her family. We all know the cost of doing a restoration even to the level of a daily driver. It is taxing and exhausting both mentally and financially. My personal goal is to lift some of the burden here for someone who has endured so much. So over the next week or so I will be bumping this thread and personally thanking everyone involved in supporting Marys family and their goal.

Thanks everyone for caring.
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 15 2009, 12:27 PM
Post #3

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 14 2009, 09:09 PM) *

Second post: Draft

Many of you were introduced to Mary Shortridge when she posted in the garage looking to our community for help in navigating through a restoration of her brothers 914.

After reading her post I felt it would be most helpful if someone could meet with her and inventory what she had and help her with identifying what she would need to get her project finished.

I'm sure by now everyone here has read my post requesting one or more of our 914 community to come to her aid and make the trek to Garden City. I'm not surprised by what happened over the next several weeks but I am thankful and humbled by the out pouring of help from Mike Moorman, Carrie Sweet and her dad Allen. They all made a long trip to Garden City and brought back a list of parts Mary would need to complete the car. I can't thank them enough. In addition to Mike, Carrie and Allens offer to help, our community started offering parts even in advance of their trip! My simple request in that post took on a life of it's own. Not unbelievable for this group but unexpected at the time.

Since then Mike has been a driving force with this 914 event. From putting up a web site to constantly monitoring the parts offering and traveling to meet with Mary as progress was made along the way. We have had generous offering after generous offering from vendors Like Jeff Bowlsby and members from every part of this country. Our own Dr. Evil flew in and extended his stay to meet Mary and Mike and rebuild Buttercups transaxle.

Many of us wanted to help but didn't have worthy used or new parts laying around to offer. Well here's our chance to make a difference in the life of Mary and her family. We all know the cost of doing a restoration even to the level of a daily driver. It is taxing and exhausting both mentally and financially. My personal goal is to lift some of the burden here for someone who has endured so much. So over the next week or so I will be bumping this thread and personally thanking everyone involved in supporting Marys family and their goal.

Rick, its hard to change much... I just added the fundraiser part to the bottom, and Mike's idea for direct checks..

Draft #3:

Many of you were introduced to Mary Shortridge when she posted in the garage looking to our community for help in navigating through a restoration of her brother's 914.

Many of us wanted to help but didn't have worthy used or new parts laying around to offer. Well here's our chance to make a difference in the life of Mary and her family. We all know the cost of doing a restoration even to the level of a daily driver. It is taxing and exhausting both mentally and financially.

The 914 world administration has given us the OK to do a fundraiser for Mary's build. To complete the build, we are looking to raise money to buy the rest of the parts AND support the build team's expenses as much as possible.

A paypal account at: edwardblume@gmail.com has been set up, and a check can be mailed to ____ .

All the funds will go to Mary's parts, and the build team's expenses as much as possible. A separate post will be coming in the next few weeks to fill out the volunteer team.

While lengthy to Wayne's point, I think it squarely touches all the bases on what's happened so far, and where things are going. It also doesn't get too personal with Mary's personal information (that's up to her).

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
RobW   Mary Shortridge 914 Fundraiser Post   Oct 19 2009, 09:00 AM
rick 918-S   Very nice Rob. It's informative without being ...   Oct 19 2009, 07:54 PM
tat2dphreak   I agree with rick, but all in all I think the post...   Oct 19 2009, 08:36 PM
Kansas 914   ****DRAFT *************** *********** DRAFT ****...   Oct 20 2009, 10:13 PM
RobW   Draft #2 By now most everyone has heard of Mary S...   Nov 14 2009, 10:07 PM
rick 918-S   RobW prepared the following opening request for yo...   Nov 14 2009, 11:20 PM
rick 918-S   Second post: Draft Many of you were introduced to...   Nov 14 2009, 11:09 PM
RobW   Second post: Draft Many of you were introduced t...   Nov 15 2009, 12:27 PM
Kansas 914   While lengthy to Wayne's point, I think it sq...   Nov 15 2009, 08:14 PM
RobW   You know Rick, I really like your description, I...   Nov 15 2009, 01:30 AM
rick 918-S   I Didn't include the information in my writtin...   Nov 15 2009, 08:40 AM
Kansas 914   I Didn't include the information in my writti...   Nov 15 2009, 09:26 AM
RobW   I Didn't include the information in my writt...   Nov 15 2009, 12:12 PM
Kansas 914   Let me check with my local Bank of America on Mo...   Nov 15 2009, 12:26 PM
RobW   Let me check with my local Bank of America on M...   Nov 16 2009, 09:07 AM
rick 918-S   I'm cleaning the garage today. Anyone want to ...   Nov 15 2009, 10:27 AM
RobW   I'm cleaning the garage today. Anyone want to...   Nov 15 2009, 12:12 PM
tat2dphreak   I think it sounds great! it is very clear and ...   Nov 15 2009, 09:39 PM
Kansas 914   Can we strengthen the fact that we are raising ...   Nov 16 2009, 09:14 AM
rick 918-S   I'm fine with everything. Just waiting for Mar...   Nov 17 2009, 12:46 PM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2024 - 10:28 PM