Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Temp Sensor Spacers, Where can I get 'em
76-914
post Feb 24 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #1

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Sorry guys I just read a thread on these spacers where a guy has them for $24 ea. but I can't find thread and I'm a dumb shit with search features. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
detoxcowboy
post Feb 25 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

"The heads must heat up and cool off quite rapidly. What do people who have a VDO head temperature guage see on their cars?"

Yes they (cylinder heads) heat up first and cool first both much faster when looking at the gauges oil temp. vs. cylinder head temp. especially heating up on a cold start.
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Feb 25 2010, 10:32 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ Feb 25 2010, 08:57 AM) *

"The heads must heat up and cool off quite rapidly. What do people who have a VDO head temperature guage see on their cars?"

Yes they (cylinder heads) heat up first and cool first both much faster when looking at the gauges oil temp. vs. cylinder head temp. especially heating up on a cold start.

That's what I thought, because I was concerned that since the spacer doesn't have any initial effect (at start, same temp as the cold head), I thought the car would still act lean during the first couple of minutes (i.e. off-throttle surging). However, that's not what I see, it acts great through the whole warm-up transition. I figured that was because the heads must be heating up quickly, and by the spacer delaying that heat transfer to the sensor right from the start, the mixture is kept where it should be.

The quick cooling leads to the warm staring problem we discussed in another thread. This issue is avoided in water-cooled D-Jet implementations, as the engine temperature is sensed from the block. Hmm. You have to wonder if an oil temperature sensor instead of a head temperature sensor would have been a better choice for air-cooled implementations of D-Jet...

The rapid change in head temperatures also points out why avoiding ballast resistance is a good thing, too. If head temps are swinging over a significant range where the CHT resistance is going between 50 to 200 ohms, corresponding roughly to head temps of 300 to 200 degrees, then as little as 200 ohms of ballast would result in the ECU richening the mixture, introducting mixture instability, wasting fuel, and increasing emissions. The spacer helps smooth out those operating-induced swings (that don't actually reflect the cylinder/piston temperature conditions, which dominate the mixture requirements), an eliminate those effects.
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 12:15 AM