Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Advance vs. Advance & Retard 74 2.0 vs 76 2.0, Vaccum Throttle Dizzy ; Advantages?
detoxcowboy
post Feb 28 2010, 06:56 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,642
Region Association: Africa

Ignorant to the advantages of vaccum advance and retard advice needed.

Situation;
My 914 is a stock fuel injection 74 2.0 which uses only vaccum advance off the dizzy to the throttle body (single ported). I also have a throttle body (dual ported) from a 76 2.0. I have correct dizzy's for both years and correct vaccum canisters for both years..

Question;
Is there any advantage to switching from the 74 2.0 advance only set up to the 76 2.0 advance/retard set up? Do I have to also switch the dizzy's??
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
pbanders
post Mar 1 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #2

Group: Members
Member No.: 805

This question comes up often, should a FAQ. Geof has the right year/configuration info.

The purpose of the vacuum advance is to improve combustion under low load conditions (e.g. cruising at light, constant throttle on a flat road), improving fuel economy and reducing emissions. It may also help throttle responsiveness. Here is the quote from the Bosch "Ignition" Technical Guide:

"Early (advance) adjustment system: The lower the load, the earlier the air-fuel mixture needs to be ignited since it burns more slowly. The percentage of burned but non-exhausted residual gases in the combustion chamber increases and the mixture becomes leaner. The vacuum for adjustment in the advance direction is taken off at the intake manifold (my note: the diagram shows it being taken just above the throttle plate, so that when the throttle is partially open, it gets maximum intake manifold vacuum - this is where it is positioned on the '73 throttle body). As the engine load decreases, the vacuum in the vacuum advance unit increases, causing the diaphragm and vacuum advance arm to move to the right. The vacuum advance arm turns the movable breaker plate in the opposite direction of the rotation of the distributor shaft. The ignition point is advanced further, i.e. in the "early" direction."
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th June 2024 - 04:02 AM