Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Targa top not fitting in the trunk properly
davesclassicvws
post Mar 8 2010, 09:42 AM
Post #1

davesclassicvws

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,917
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Awhile back I bought another targa top from Jamie (jrust). At that time I went through the top and replaced all of the seals and painted the top with a flat black. As I have been storing the top in the trunk on rides I recently notice the top is getting scratched just above the rear rubber hold down on the drivers side. I also notice that the trunk is not closing completely on that side.
The question is what do I look for and how do I fix it? It appears the hold downs are in the correct location and the trunk lid closes correctly without the top inside.
I'll post some pictures later today.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Tom_T
post Mar 8 2010, 11:59 AM
Post #2

TMI....

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

In addition to centering the top in the clips ......

Check if the mount for the rear hold-down is bent or somehow out of alignment, &/or if the mount & rubber bit is/are installed properly. There is a bit of play & adjustment in them in most cases. Make sure the rubber hold-down hasn't cracked to allow the top to bounce. If not any of these, then ......

Also see if the rear lid is lifting at the front left corner - setting it out of kilter towards the rear - if so, then your hinge plate or roller/etc. up there has failed or is out of alignment. Likewise, check if the deck lid is somehow warped, bent, dented - which I'm assuming it isn't since you'd see that easily from the outside & think that you'd mention it here, but the inner brace(s) could be and be less noticeable. Also look to see if the top has an odd warp, but I doubt that cuz you'd probably notice it in difficulty securing the top to the cabin.

If none of the above & if the car was in an accident or rust damage - either/both such that the rear end had some body work done on it & not fit up correctly &/or not Cellette Benched (or not done properly), then the uni-body could be out of whack.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2024 - 05:20 PM