Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> OT: Any Fluid Handling experts here?, Small scale engineering help requested
lotus_65
post Apr 8 2010, 10:08 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

Hi good people, you are the best resource I have at hand, so I'm throwing this out to you all:

At work, I/we utilize 2-2.5 gallon pressure pots that hold 2 similar liquid (gloss & matte) materials (basically glue) that we use to coat our products with an hvlp gun using 10lbs pressure in our spray booth.

Some clients want a combination of the 2 coatings to create a 3rd semi-gloss/satin finish. Best case scenario is that I could mix/blend the 2 in-line somehow, because we could easily customize the coatings per the client's request.

It's logical to me to relate these 2 liquids as something similar to hot and cold water, and I want to be able to coat my products with hot, warm or cold liquid using a manifold to dial the percentages.

As I'm writing this, I feel like it would be ideal to have some type of ball valve at the gun, receiving the two fluid lines, and allowing me to dial the mix right there.

Does anyone know what I'm trying to say, and have a direction to share?

Thanks-
paul
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
zonedoubt
post Apr 8 2010, 05:45 PM
Post #2

Canadian Member

Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

Ball valves aren't ideal for flow control unless they have a characterized ball or seat. A multi-turn valve like a needle or globe is best.
+Quote Post
lotus_65
post Apr 8 2010, 08:43 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 3,795
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Apr 8 2010, 05:45 PM) *

Ball valves aren't ideal for flow control unless they have a characterized ball or seat. A multi-turn valve like a needle or globe is best.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/051103-stupid4.gif) will you please give me more. diagrams on a website?

but i would guess the glue will set up in any needle situation, we couldn't use the fluid quick-release due to material drying.

thanks
+Quote Post
zonedoubt
post Apr 11 2010, 12:38 PM
Post #4

Canadian Member

Member No.: 696
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(lotus_65 @ Apr 8 2010, 06:43 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/051103-stupid4.gif) will you please give me more. diagrams on a website?

Characterized ball valve has a V-notch or other pattern machined into the ball or its seat. This allows for a better flow characteristic for control applications. Attached Image

Another problem with ball valves is that media (e.g. paint) can get trapped in the cavities in the valve body. This could be a concern for cross contamination when changing media. There are solutions to address this such as cavity fillers but then you're into a specialty product.

I don't know paint sprayer systems but I know valves (my job).
+Quote Post
rwilner
post Apr 11 2010, 06:31 PM
Post #5

No Ghosts in the Machine

Member No.: 11,530
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(zonedoubt @ Apr 11 2010, 02:38 PM) *

Another problem with ball valves is that media (e.g. paint) can get trapped in the cavities in the valve body. This could be a concern for cross contamination when changing media. There are solutions to address this such as cavity fillers but then you're into a specialty product.

I don't know paint sprayer systems but I know valves (my job).

This man speaks the truth.

What about diaphragm (or membrane for your EU folks) valves? Multi turn, cleanable, AND he can simply toss and replace the diaphragms if/when they get too contaminated.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2024 - 04:40 PM